DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   18th century finish (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/184157-re-18th-century-finish.html)

J T November 28th 06 08:49 PM

18th century finish

Tue, Nov 28, 2006, 2:56am (EST+5)
(Juvenal) doth sayeth:
snip I don't have any finishing books from the 18th cent., but books
on hardwood finishing from around the turn of the last century have
myriad recipes for stains using just about anything one could imagine;
nutgalls, walnut shells, aspaltum, potash, madder root, nitric acid,
burnt sienna, fustic chips(?), iodine, and on and on. Linseed oil is
also mentioned for use as a stain. snip

You don't need any books, there's plenty of stuff on-line. But
books are always more enjoyable. Your local library would probably have
something, but I prefer used bookstores, because they're more likely to
have something older, and you get to buy the book inexpensively. An
early 1900s or earlier encyclopedia will probably have something . I've
tred a tea stain that I'm quite happy with. I've tried a coffee stain
too, that really looks good, but it takes a "lot" longer to dry.

JOAT
Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Joe Gorman November 29th 06 12:32 PM

18th century finish

[...]