Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shelf Brackets for Medicine Cabinet

I want to build a medicine cabinet using melamine for the internal box and
glass shelves, but have been unable to find brackets to hold the shelves.
Due to space restrictions, I need to minimize the size, so the small metal
clips that are used in the metal commercial models would be ideal. Any
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:51:56 -0600, "John B"
wrote:

I want to build a medicine cabinet using melamine for the internal box and
glass shelves, but have been unable to find brackets to hold the shelves.
Due to space restrictions, I need to minimize the size, so the small metal
clips that are used in the metal commercial models would be ideal. Any
suggestions?

Check out the glass cutting places . They have interesting hardware.
Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
I want to build a medicine cabinet using melamine for the internal box and
glass shelves, but have been unable to find brackets to hold the shelves.
Due to space restrictions, I need to minimize the size, so the small metal
clips that are used in the metal commercial models would be ideal. Any
suggestions?

1/4 inch dados. No brackets or standards needed.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
How would you finish the inside of the dado to prevent the particle board
from crumbling, and make it look right?

Hey John - just saw this thread for the first time today. I can't believe
you can't find shelf standards, pegs, etc. that are common shelf hardware.
They are all over. Look at Lowes or Home Depot, or Ace, or ..., or...

With regard to routing in dados - use a nice sharp bit.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
How would you finish the inside of the dado to prevent the particle board
from crumbling, and make it look right?

My medicine cabinet has glass shelves, but it is made from wood and it is
painted. I suppose if the color was a problem or you were really worried
about the structural integrity of the slot, you might make the dado a bit
wider and then inlay a strip of plastic.

Another alternative that might work would be to get some 1/4 Plexiglas rod,
and run two of these as supports under the glass shelves.

You could also use metal. Buy a 6 inch length of 1/4" stainless steel rod,
and cut it into 3/4 long pins. Chuck the pins into your drill press and
dress and polish one end of each pin. Dowel pins would work (and are cheap)
but would eventually rust.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:
: I want to build a medicine cabinet using melamine for the internal box and
: glass shelves, but have been unable to find brackets to hold the shelves.
: Due to space restrictions, I need to minimize the size, so the small metal
: clips that are used in the metal commercial models would be ideal. Any
: suggestions?

I built one six or so years ago, and used metal shelf pegs I got
at Woodcraft or lee Valley. They have a flat on the part
that goes under the shelf, and work
fine.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43648,43649
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1080

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

How would you finish the inside of the dado to prevent the particle board
from crumbling, and make it look right?

Don't use particle board, use Valchromat instead. It's a high resin
content pre-coloured MDF. Looks as good on a cut edge as it does on a
sheet. Wax polishes well and also resists bathroom levels of moisture.

http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/cabinets/swarf/

Shelf brackets Dave UK diy 0 April 1st 06 11:21 PM
Cliffhanger shelf brackets newman UK diy 0 October 2nd 05 09:00 PM
Replacing Medicine Cabinet Rocinante Home Repair 1 May 17th 05 04:47 PM
B&Q Shelf brackets. Clint Sharp UK diy 2 January 3rd 05 11:45 AM