DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   water based poly. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/183278-water-based-poly.html)

Gary November 20th 06 03:11 PM

water based poly.

I used oil base poly on my interior windows and trim. I have added some
display shelves above some of the windows .If I use a water based
polyurethane will there be a difference. thanks

RicodJour November 20th 06 03:28 PM

water based poly.

Gary wrote:
I used oil base poly on my interior windows and trim. I have added some
display shelves above some of the windows .If I use a water based
polyurethane will there be a difference. thanks

Yes. The water based poly doesn't yellow with age, so you might want
to stain the new woodwork to approximate the aged oil poly prior to
finishing.

Leon November 20th 06 08:55 PM

water based poly.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gary wrote:
I used oil base poly on my interior windows and trim. I have added some
display shelves above some of the windows .If I use a water based
polyurethane will there be a difference. thanks

Yes. The water based poly doesn't yellow with age, so you might want
to stain the new woodwork to approximate the aged oil poly prior to
finishing.

Additionally, the water based varnish will not yellow immediately upon
application either. The water based varnishes will give wood a truer color.

[email protected] November 21st 06 10:17 AM

water based poly.

Or tint the poly with yellow TrasnsTint dye from
www.homesteadfinishing.com

On 20 Nov 2006 07:28:13 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Gary wrote:
I used oil base poly on my interior windows and trim. I have added some
display shelves above some of the windows .If I use a water based
polyurethane will there be a difference. thanks

Yes. The water based poly doesn't yellow with age, so you might want
to stain the new woodwork to approximate the aged oil poly prior to
finishing.

November 23rd 06 05:00 AM

water based poly.

In article ,
Gary wrote:
I used oil base poly on my interior windows and trim. I have added some
display shelves above some of the windows .If I use a water based
polyurethane will there be a difference. thanks

I assume you are asking about the finished appearance ot the shelves
vs. the frames. About the best answer you can expect is "it's
possible." Sometimes even using the SAME product in 2 different places
at different times will produce different results. Generally water
based finishes do not darken or amber the wood like an oil based
finish. There are some tinted waterbased products, or you can stain to
match first. If you already have the WB on hand you'd best to a test
first. Perhaps the manufacturer of the OB poly on the shelves can
advise here, or ask at a real paint store. Even if you get the
official word from the manufacturer or from a knowledgeable paint
supplier, I'd recommending testing first.

I see that this sounds somewhat negative, but I don't mean to make it
sound difficult. You should be able to get an acceptable match ot the
shelves & window trim, it just may take some playing around.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -