àV

Default what should I choose as my first power tool?

If I had room for it, I would get a table saw... that said, I do my projects
with a circular saw and a piece of aluminum angle for a guide. Clamp the
aluminum to a piece of scrap, put the edge of the plate under the circular
saw against the aluminum and cut across. Then measure carefully (I actually
used calipers, but you could easily cut a "gage stick" from other scrap)
from the edge of cut to face of aluminum. Then you can use the "gage stick"
to set up your pseudo-fence and cut very straight & pretty precisely place
lines. It is slower to set up each cut, but a whale of a lot cheaper than a
table saw.
I wonder about accuracy (squareness) of fences on bench model saws. Anyone
have experience to share?
I use the same aluminum angle & my router to make dado cuts as well.

takashi wrote in message
Hi. I am interested in woodworking. I have made a desk, using hand saw
and an electric drill. It was a hard work. This time, I am thinking
about a power tool to make things easy. Since my budget is rather
limited, I want to buy just one power tool. I am wondering whether I
should buy a bench saw(table saw) or a bandsaw(just a small one for 290
Canadian dollars) or a jigsaw(makita). It seems that the jigsaw is the
most portable, but I don't know if it is possible to do
straight-cuttings. I will be making a sofa( or futon type ), but I want
to try to make other furnitures like tables or chairs or some kind of
drawers. Could anybody give me some suggestions?
Thank you very much in advance.

McQualude

takashi spaketh...

should buy a bench saw(table saw)

table saws are awesome, but I still need to use a circular saw
occasionally, the circular saw is a must-have IMO

or a bandsaw(just a small one for 290 Canadian dollars)

I don't have one, but from group comments, I take it a cheap bandsaw is
next to worthless, I would spend the money on...

or a jigsaw(makita)

a good jigsaw

I will be making a sofa( or futon type ), but I want
to try to make other furnitures like tables or chairs or some kind of
drawers. Could anybody give me some suggestions?

get a very good jigsaw, a good circular saw and save up for a very good
contractor's saw
--
McQualude
BiggMutt53

I gave up on doing furniture until I have about $10,000 to spend on a good
shop with good power tools in it and I can just Norm out.

It can be done for much less than that, don't give up on building a good shop
full of tools. Over the last 10 years I accumulated a Unisaw, 6 inch Grizzly
joiner; delta lathe; sears RAS; delta 14" bandsaw; sears 10" band saw; dewalt
scroll saw; bosch CMS, Jet floor size drill press (yes, it is a very versatile
machine) delta 12.5" surface planer and built me Norm's router table, and this
cost me no more than $4000 over the years, and the Unisaw and bandsaw were the
only things I specifically saved up for and bought new and these two
represented about half of the total amount. Keep your eyes open for used
equip., size it up as to quality and state of repair, and act quickly. I have
sold furniture I made for about $5000 over the years, so I figure I am even.
Edwin Pawlowski

"BiggMutt53" wrote in message
cost me no more than $4000 over the years, and the Unisaw and bandsaw were

the
only things I specifically saved up for and bought new and these two
represented about half of the total amount.

In the past 2 1/2 years, I've spent $5950. Still need a jointer and I'm
done. .I could get away with much less if I had to. Just last week I
bought a Benchdog router lift While it is nice to have, you don't "need"
one. Paid $199 for an Accu Miter. Some day I'll build a sled for a whole
lot less.

You can put together a darned nice shop for $3000, especially if you find
some good used equipment. Of course, if I had $10,000 to spend on WW
stuff, I'd find a way to do it.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Inner threading turning tool out of HSS...Need for astronomy project Vincent Coppola Metalworking 16 June 12th 04 08:08 PM
Boreing Holes ? Peter Kiproff Metalworking 16 February 2nd 04 01:38 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Generators and Back-up power Ryan Metalworking 33 January 10th 04 01:38 AM
How do you adjust the cutter bit on Aloris Tool Holders Steve Metalworking 28 October 20th 03 03:12 AM