Greg DeBacker

Default Compound Mitre or TS

I'm going to be putting up some 1X3 crown molding. I'm going to be
making about 40 - 90 degree compound mitre corners. Someone told me I
could do it on my table saw and I guess you could by tilting the blade
and using the mitre gauge. I'm wondering if I should attempt this on
my table saw or buy a compund mitre saw.

I'm not in the trades but I do do a fair bit of wood working latly
working on my home. Becuase this is a tool which will probably sit in
the garage with long periods of non use it is difficult for me to
justify a $400.00+ pro mitre saw. I was at Sears and I saw a 10 inch
(I think) compound mitre saw with laser guide for $199.00. I didn't
catch the modle number. It is going on sale for $189.00 this weekend.
This is an amount I feel comfortable with if it will make the job that
much easier.

So the question is, will I butcher a lot of wood and pull all my hair
out with the TS, or should I get the mitre saw? Also, as I'm sure the
Craftsman is not the best saw in the world, is it an absolute piece of
crap? Anoth alternative is to rent a very nice, top of the line mitre
saw.

Any thoughts on this?

Greg
HarryM

If you have a Lowe's nearby, check the Delta MS350. I got one three weeks
ago for $139 and it is doing a good job with compound miters. The stock
blade was pretty good, but rather thin. I added a Forrest Chopmaster blade
and the cuts are smooth enough that no sanding is needed. I have a table
saw, but this is much faster and I am getting more precise cuts. harrym

"Greg DeBacker" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg DeBacker" wrote in message
m...
. I'm wondering if I should attempt this on
my table saw or buy a compund mitre saw.

I'm not in the trades but I do do a fair bit of wood working latly
working on my home. Becuase this is a tool which will probably sit in
the garage with long periods of non use it is difficult for me to
justify a $400.00+ pro mitre saw.

You can get a good one in the $200 range. I recently bought a CMS and used
it for more things that I ever planned to. While I can live without it,
things are easier with it.

You can also get a miter box and hand saw.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Greg DeBacker

"HarryM" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. The crown molding is going under
the outside window sills on an old Victorian home. It's not like I'm
making picture frames that are going to be on a wall in my living room
where everyone will see them up close. I think I'll try on the table
saw first (window upstairs on the back of the house). If it is a real
bitch I'll try a rental.

Thanks,

Greg
Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg DeBacker" wrote in message
Encouraging! What brand did you buy. I also saw a Tradesman the same
price as the Craftsman but I really didn't like the way it felt when I
was playing around with it in the store.

Greg

My plan was to get the 10" DeWalt for $229, but my wife convinced me I'd be
happier with the 12" for $299. Very accurate. Did a couple of things I'd
not bother with on the table saw. I bought it to do some flooring that I'm
finally starting today.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jerry Gilreath

Greg, I have to agree totally with Bruce on that one. I've got the 10" with
the laser and love it!!! My dad and bil have the non laser ones, and believe
me, there's all the difference in the world. Although, I did see where you
can buy the laser attachment for those with out one. I don't remember where,
but I think it was around $50.00. Just thought I'd put in my nickel's worth.

--
This space for rent.
Jerry© The Phoneman®
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
(Greg DeBacker) wrote:

out with the TS, or should I get the mitre saw? Also, as I'm sure the
Craftsman is not the best saw in the world, is it an absolute piece

of
crap?

Greg, there is much prejudice here against Craftsman, some deserved and
some not but to say that top of the line Craftsmen Miter saws are crap is
simply ridiculous. I have the 12" with the Laser and absolutely love it.
It is a joy to use and anyone that says the laser is a gimick has never
used one. Once you do, you'll never go back. The 10" saw you're looking
at is the baby brother of my saw and I would have absolutely NO problems
recommending it to you.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

"Greg DeBacker" wrote in message

I'm not in the trades but I do do a fair bit of wood working latly
working on my home. Becuase this is a tool which will probably sit in
the garage with long periods of non use it is difficult for me to
justify a $400.00+ pro mitre saw.

I bought a refurbished Delta Sidekick 10" SCMS a short time ago for
$250, shipped. Search the web for Tyler Tool. This saw usually sells
in the $450-$500 range.

I spent about an hour aligning it per the manual's instructions, using
some quality machinists squares. My saw was in such good shape that I
wonder if a previous owner _didn't_ align it, and returned it as
inaccurate. Any tool I've ever bought, except for mt DW733 planer,
needed something done to it, so this is plenty acceptable in my book.

This saw is now plenty accurate for pretty much everything short of
face frames and stiles, which I still cut on the table saw. My saw
is now bolted to the bench, so it stays accurate.

I had no idea that this thing would get used as often as it does.

Barry
Drew Morton

snip

It is a joy to use and anyone that says the laser is a gimick has never
used one. Once you do, you'll never go back. The 10" saw you're looking
at is the baby brother of my saw and I would have absolutely NO problems
recommending it to you.

I disagree. I have the 10" with the laser and I think its a gimick. Maybe
on a better saw it might be worthwhile, but on a saw that flexes a good
1/32nd or more from the top of the cutting arc to where it meets wood, the
only good a laser is doing me is telling my how innacurate my saw is. I
still have to take the non-spinning blade to the wood to be sure of where
its gong to cut. Maybe yours doesnt do that, but mine does. Be thankful it
doesnt. As fas as Im concerned, you got lucky. I certainly wouldnt use my
saw for any type of accurate cutting. I have table saw jigs for that kind
of stuff.

Drew

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Drew Morton" wrote:

I disagree. I have the 10" with the laser and I think its a gimick. Maybe
on a better saw it might be worthwhile, but on a saw that flexes a good
1/32nd or more from the top of the cutting arc to where it meets wood, the
only good a laser is doing me is telling my how innacurate my saw is. I
still have to take the non-spinning blade to the wood to be sure of where
its gong to cut. Maybe yours doesnt do that, but mine does. Be thankful it
doesnt. As fas as Im concerned, you got lucky. I certainly wouldnt use my
saw for any type of accurate cutting. I have table saw jigs for that kind
of stuff.

Surely you realize that the laser line is NOT where the blade hits the
wood? That would be impossible.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg DeBacker" wrote in message

Does anyone know if this saw has a laser (Add didn't say), and Barry
did your saw come with a new blade?

Greg

No, it does not.
Ed

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Drew Morton" wrote:

Uh, yea. Give a guy a little credit, will ya? I think we all understand
how the laser works.

JFTR, I've yet to see him respond.

My only beef is with a saw that is built to poor specs.

How are you privy to the specs it is manufactured to? What are the
tolerances for the main pivot bearing?

For the 200 bucks that Sears charges, you are getting a fair framing
saw. As I stated before, I wouldnt use it for any kind of work that
demanded accuracy, and I include crown moulding in that. Ive seen shoddy
crown moulding jobs, and I wouldnt want that done in my house. YMMV.

My mileage does vary. I'm gradually putting crown all over my house with
mine. The problems I run into aren't with the saw, they're with the house.
In any event, using a protractor on the walls and crown look up tables,
mine mates like a dream.

Drew Morton

My only beef is with a saw that is built to poor specs.

How are you privy to the specs it is manufactured to? What are the
tolerances for the main pivot bearing?

Bruce,
You got me. I dont know what the specs for the main pivot bearing is. Its
really irrelevant, though. Either the specs are lousy and its built
completely to spec, or the specs are tighter than an Amish girl on wedding
night, and its built lousy. Either way, its lousy.

For the 200 bucks that Sears charges, you are getting a fair framing
saw. As I stated before, I wouldnt use it for any kind of work that
demanded accuracy, and I include crown moulding in that. Ive seen shoddy
crown moulding jobs, and I wouldnt want that done in my house. YMMV.

My mileage does vary. I'm gradually putting crown all over my house with
mine. The problems I run into aren't with the saw, they're with the

house.
In any event, using a protractor on the walls and crown look up tables,
mine mates like a dream.

You obviously know how to hang crown moulding, in spite of the saw.
Actually, the sign of a craftsman, IMHO, is the end result, not the cool
shiny power tools he has.

I am not a craftsman basher. Google all my posts that Ive ever written, and
youll not see me once refer to them as crapsman. I think thats actually a
little childish and silly. However, I firmly believe that they are not the
same tools that they were 30 or more years ago. Hand tools, theyre a better
than average tool. Power tools, not so much. I only own one craftsman
power tool, the 10 inch laser MS. It was a gift. I wouldnt have bought it.
However, I cant argue with the price. I am glad that you are happy with
your saw. I am sure that it will give you many years of good service. I
know my saw has fallen far short of that.

Good luck with your home improvements.

Drew

Tony D.

"Drew Morton" wrote in message ...

I am sure that it will give you many years of good service. I

know my saw has fallen far short of that.

Could just be a "lemmon", although I agree, craftsman in not as good
as it once was.
To the OP, you can do it on a T/S with out tilting the blade if you
make up a sled(set to a 45 deg. angle) that allows the molding to sit
at the same angle that it will sit on the case,wall,or frame.
Hope this makes sense?
thanks, Tony D.
Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Drew Morton" wrote:

I am not a craftsman basher. Google all my posts that Ive ever written, and
youll not see me once refer to them as crapsman. I think thats actually a
little childish and silly. However, I firmly believe that they are not the
same tools that they were 30 or more years ago. Hand tools, theyre a better
than average tool. Power tools, not so much. I only own one craftsman
power tool, the 10 inch laser MS. It was a gift. I wouldnt have bought it.
However, I cant argue with the price. I am glad that you are happy with
your saw. I am sure that it will give you many years of good service. I
know my saw has fallen far short of that.

Good luck with your home improvements.

Classy post Drew. Thanks and good luck to you too.

Bruce

Ken K

woodworker for 30 + years, buy a compound mitre. without a mitre jig for
your table saw , the mitre saw will give better results. go for a 12" if
you can. I have dewalt with a 100 tooth freud blade . It produces glass
like cuts.

Ken Kraay

Good luck.