Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any mechanisms available for slide-out, drop-down drawers?

I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally
thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to a,
say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide
mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade,
solution?
TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally
thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to a,
say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide
mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade,
solution?
TIA
Norm

Maybe a keyboard tray but they are usually bulky. Try he
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=11
or he
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=2

But be careful... I just got my first Lee Valley catalog and my list of
'must have' tools is growing with every page turn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:24:16 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally
thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to a,
say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide
mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade,
solution?

I guess I don't see how dropping it down at an angle is any better
than a full extension slide?

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leuf" wrote in message
| On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:24:16 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
| wrote:
|
| I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally
| thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to
a,
| say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide
| mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade,
| solution?
|
| I guess I don't see how dropping it down at an angle is any better
| than a full extension slide?

Takes less space.

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norm Dresner" wrote:

I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and
generally thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and
drop down to a, say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are
there any slide mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using
my own, handmade, solution?
TIA
Norm

Google: under cabinet holder

I've seen just the mechanism sold somewhere. Thought it was Lee Valley or
Rockler, but can't find it there.
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Nov 14, 2006, 11:47pm (EST+5) (Norm*Dresner) doth
claimeth:
********Takes less space.

Don't see that happening, you've got to pull it all the way out
before you tilt it.

JOAT
Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Norm Dresner" wrote:

I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and
generally thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and
drop down to a, say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are
there any slide mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using
my own, handmade, solution?
TIA
Norm

Google: under cabinet holder

I've seen just the mechanism sold somewhere. Thought it was Lee Valley or
Rockler, but can't find it there.

Same here. Though I think it was to hold a cook book or a spice rack, some
thing like that.I'd check the kitchen sections for it.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

|"J T" wrote in message
| Tue, Nov 14, 2006, 11:47pm (EST+5) (Norm Dresner) doth
|claimeth:
|Takes less space.
|
| Don't see that happening, you've got to pull it all the way out
|before you tilt it.

But the space it takes when it's pulled out is up in the air. As it drops
down toward the work surface it takes only half that much area on table.

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally
thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to a,
say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide
mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade,
solution?
TIA
Norm

Norm - You might play around with Pivoting Door Slides. Maybe buy a
cheap one and see if you could rig it up to satisfy your requirement.

I believe if you apply the slide 90' to standard and attach a drawer
to it, the drawer would slide out and the front edge would tip
down....maybe not quite 45' but enough to result in a good view.

Anyway, just a thought.

Good Luck,
Posted to rec.woodworking

For concealed drawer below top drawer