DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   hard to move belt on craftsman drill press (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/180539-hard-move-belt-craftsman-drill-press.html)

j October 26th 06 10:35 PM

hard to move belt on craftsman drill press

I have a Craftsman Benchtop 10" drill press (pretty new if that has any
effect on your answer). When I attempt to change the speed by moving the
belts, it is quite a struggle. I loosen the knob and push the motor forward
(doesn't go very far) and have to really work the belt to get it off.
Usually I end up crunching my fingers a few times between the belt and the
spindle.

Is there a trick? Will this loosen over time? An easier kind of belt?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jordan

Remove _nospam from my email to email me directly......

Leon October 26th 06 11:50 PM

"j" wrote in message
I have a Craftsman Benchtop 10" drill press (pretty new if that has any
effect on your answer). When I attempt to change the speed by moving the
belts, it is quite a struggle. I loosen the knob and push the motor
forward (doesn't go very far) and have to really work the belt to get it
off. Usually I end up crunching my fingers a few times between the belt and
the spindle.

Is there a trick? Will this loosen over time? An easier kind of belt?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jordan

Remove _nospam from my email to email me directly......

Spin the pulleys when pushing the belt to a smaller size pulley

Dave Jackson October 27th 06 01:07 AM

hard to move belt on craftsman drill press

On my 15" Craftsman DP, there are two knobs, one on each side of the
housing, that need loosened before the motor is pushed. Maybe yours has two
knobs that need loosened as well? --dave
"Leon" wrote in message
m...

[email protected] October 27th 06 05:17 AM

hard to move belt on craftsman drill press

In order to loosten the belt, I push the belt down to the smaller
pulley wheel while turning the other pulley. Then, I position the belt
on the one pulley where I want it, and use my thumb to push the belt up
while turning the pulley. Make sure that the push is from smaller to
bigger - not like it can be done the other way! The belt grabs,, and
pulls itself into the track.. It takes a little prqactice, but it's
easy once you get the hang of it.

shelly

October 27th 06 06:13 AM

hard to move belt on craftsman drill press

In article ,
j wrote:
I have a Craftsman Benchtop 10" drill press (pretty new if that has any
effect on your answer). When I attempt to change the speed by moving the
belts, it is quite a struggle. I loosen the knob and push the motor forward
(doesn't go very far) and have to really work the belt to get it off.
Usually I end up crunching my fingers a few times between the belt and the
spindle.

Is there a trick? Will this loosen over time? An easier kind of belt?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jordan

Remove _nospam from my email to email me directly......

Not familiar with your precise model of DP, but is it possible that
the belt tension is just set up too tight?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

[email protected] October 27th 06 06:37 AM

j wrote:
I have a Craftsman Benchtop 10" drill press (pretty new if that has any
effect on your answer). When I attempt to change the speed by moving the
belts, it is quite a struggle. I loosen the knob and push the motor forward
(doesn't go very far)

would the motor go further back? perhaps your belt is a little too
short.

Jordan October 27th 06 11:27 PM

hard to move belt on craftsman drill press

Thanks all...

I only see the one lock knob, as the other side is set up more as a hinge.
The belt came with the DP and was installed (I think). So I guess the
trick will be to go from big to small, and try not to catch my fingers :)

Thanks again.

Jordan