DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   To make trim or not to make trim (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/180443-make-trim-not-make-trim.html)

[email protected] October 25th 06 07:37 PM

To make trim or not to make trim

I am adding the finishing touches to a liquor cabinet. I am putting on
diagonal pieces of trim to cover the plywood. The cabinet is about 4
ft tall and opens to be 8 ft wide. To be honest, I am just buying
flat faced trim and I have a feeling that there is a better way to DIY.
How would I go about it or is buying it a better option?

B A R R Y October 25th 06 07:58 PM

wrote:
To be honest, I am just buying
flat faced trim and I have a feeling that there is a better way to DIY.
How would I go about it or is buying it a better option?

On furniture, I always make my own trim and moldings. This allows me to
better match the wood color and figure on the rest of the piece. Also,
my shop made "trim" is always straighter, flatter, and of nicer stock
than what I can usually buy.

Prometheus October 25th 06 08:16 PM

On 25 Oct 2006 11:37:35 -0700, wrote:

I am adding the finishing touches to a liquor cabinet. I am putting on
diagonal pieces of trim to cover the plywood. The cabinet is about 4
ft tall and opens to be 8 ft wide. To be honest, I am just buying
flat faced trim and I have a feeling that there is a better way to DIY.
How would I go about it or is buying it a better option?

I make all the trim I use. It's fairly straightforward, really. Make
the flat cuts with the table saw, and use a router table with a fence
to add curved details. If you have a shaper you can do the whole
piece in one pass, but a router table will do the same work if you use
several different bits and multiple setups.

Just make sure to plan for some extra trim, as it's fairly easy to
mess up little bits of it if the wood is warped at all, or you pause
when feeding and the blade or router bit burns the wood.