DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   doors (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/180402-doors.html)

Eddie October 25th 06 02:54 PM

doors

Hi All, a mate of mine has been looking for plans for making doors, does any
body here know where I can get my hands on any? (solid and with glass wooden
door plans)
Eddie

Dave Jackson October 26th 06 03:14 AM

doors

I dunno where you can find plans, but can offer some advice on building a
door. I recently completed a mahogany entry door with full glass for a
Frank Lloyd Wright home and had a great time making it. A door is really
just a frame held together with, in my case, mortise and tennons. For my
door, I planed the mahogany to 1 3/4" thick and ripped the stiles and top
rail to 5 1/2" wide. The bottom rail was close to 12". I cut the mortises
with a router and a straight cutter to 2 1/2" deep by 3 1/2" long by 1/2"
wide. I chose to make loose tennons and joined it all together. The most
important thing is to make a dead flat surface to assemble the thing on. A
warped door is no good to anyone! Also check for square. The joinery
should pull the frame square, but check anyway. This should get you started
on the basic construction. I'll post some pics of the door on APBW, feel
free to ask if you want more info.--dave

. nl...

Eddie October 26th 06 01:44 PM

doors

Cheers Dave, any help would be gratefully appreciated, I have never tried to
make a door before, by the way, what does APBW mean?
Eddie.
"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

. nl...

Dave Jackson October 26th 06 08:22 PM

doors

Sorry, it should read ABPW. as in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. It's
a sister newsgroup where one can post pictures of their work. Enjoy! --dave

"Eddie" wrote in message
. nl...
[...]

. nl...