Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow
me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions.
THAT is my major concern. I don't care if the standard is metric or
english, I just don't want to have to deal with fractions. For someone
that is not working with the larger measurements such as meters and
kilometers, that would solve most of the problems. I can get
micrometers, dial indicators and scales in tenths, albeit not in a good
variety.

I found that Lee Valley has a tape in tenths and it is OK, but I would
rather have one from Fastcap. they have nice, high quality, durable
products. Lee Valley has a left to right and a right to left reading
tape, but you have to buy both. Fastcap usually has several features
like this in one tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

eganders wrote:
I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. ...

Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial
listing...

LFK2312D 12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1425D 25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $16.49
LFK2325D 25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths Each $20.95
LFK2133D 33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $24.49
LFKHV1325D 25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1034DM 4M/13' Metric, 10ths Each $10.95
LFKHV1048DM 8M/26' Metric, 10ths Each $16.49
LFKHV1433DM 10M/33' Metric, 10ths Each $18.49

Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less
common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that
isn't available...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"eganders" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial
listing...

LFK2312D 12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1425D 25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $16.49
LFK2325D 25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths Each $20.95
LFK2133D 33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $24.49
LFKHV1325D 25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1034DM 4M/13' Metric, 10ths Each $10.95
LFKHV1048DM 8M/26' Metric, 10ths Each $16.49
LFKHV1433DM 10M/33' Metric, 10ths Each $18.49

Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less
common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that
isn't available...

Hey,
What can I say. I have no excuse, but this is why I love newsgroups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"eganders" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow
me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions.

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

Evidently he prefers decimal fractions to binary.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Pat is offline

t...

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.

I work to the nearest 1/8. A helper does the cutting so I call out 12 4 and
they cut it. Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures. I
would love to have a tape marked in 8ths. Maybe I could switch to tenths.
I think I'll buy a couple and see.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:05:39 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures.

You have helpers that can't understand 3/8 vs. 3/4? G

And if they can't, then they are not helpers. They are hinderers.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got one from Lowes.

On 21 Oct 2006 07:15:11 -0700, "eganders" wrote:

[...]

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

104 tm (tiny marks)

Like those convenient metrics where dimensions up to a meter are reported in
mm, I guess. There are a couple measurements in between, but seldom used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7"
or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals
in extreme situations.

I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors
on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys
to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means
lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Pat" wrote in message

t...

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just
another fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a
box made 12 1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as
awkward at times.

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.

I work to the nearest 1/8. A helper does the cutting so I call
out 12 4 and they cut it. Many helpers don't understand
fractions or tape measures. I would love to have a tape marked
in 8ths. Maybe I could switch to tenths. I think I'll buy a
couple and see.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"DanG" wrote in news:aRJ_g.526$uF.267@dukeread12:

It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

Yes, indeed (grew up in Holland, but here in the US since '69). I always
have to mentally translate 1/8" into ~3 mm. That visualizes much easier.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

That would be good. That way, you could add the conversion screw ups to the
unfamiliarity of metric. Should result in some rather original building
shapes.

"DanG" wrote in message
Pat,

It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

______________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

DanG wrote:
Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. ...

This was a common practice among molding, dado and plough plane
makers. A #4 dado would be 1/2" wide, for example.

I'm not clear on why it became customary in school to always
reduce fractions (is 'reduce' the right term?)

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Realize that folding rules and tape measures have been made for years
marked in tenths -- they are primarily used for engineering and
surveying applications

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article aRJ_g.526$uF.267@dukeread12, DanG wrote:
Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7"
or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals
in extreme situations.

I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors
on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys
to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means
lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

My observation has been that for the usual quality of construction
work, 1/8" and 1/10" would be interchangeable.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:

DanG wrote:
Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. ...

This was a common practice among molding, dado and plough plane
makers. A #4 dado would be 1/2" wide, for example.

I'm not clear on why it became customary in school to always
reduce fractions (is 'reduce' the right term?)

--

FF

Using 1/16ths is still common for auger bits. I think they teach
"least common denominators" just to make the concept more intuitive
for kids. 375/1000 doesn't just jump right out at you as a
recognizable fraction.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Han wrote:
() wrote in news:F--
:

Using 1/16ths is still common for auger bits. I think they teach
"least common denominators" just to make the concept more intuitive
for kids. 375/1000 doesn't just jump right out at you as a
recognizable fraction.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

It just depends where you grew up. 0.375 is much more recognizable to me
than 3/8.

Just a my view. Originally Dutch, I moved to the US in 1969, when I was
almost 23.

You're right about .375. How about something like 51/136 ?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:53:59 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7"
or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals
in extreme situations.

I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors
on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys
to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means
lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is with reading rules
and tape measures. Wouldn't 5 minutes with a guy who can't do it fix
the problem? If it doesn't, why not set him to stacking lumber or
carrying shingles until he learns, or just can him? Way I see it, if
a guy can't read a tape measure, he has no business putting up a
building. That's Framing 101, IMO.

As far as your initial comment goes, that's fine enough. I've worked
with crews that use the same method. But personally, I've always felt
that things hould be as accurate as possible for the long-term
duribility of the building. Never liked 1/16" gaps all over- seems
like years of shaking in heavy winds and storms would weaken things
considerably, as well as allowing crap to collect in the joints and
speed up the fasteners' corrosion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

Puckdropper wrote:
You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

3/4"

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change
it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a
notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...

Puckdropper wrote:
You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

3/4"

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change
it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a
notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

3

Correct.

One frog took a a notion to jump off, he didn't actually do it.

I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:

CW wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...

Puckdropper wrote:
You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

3/4"

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change
it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a
notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

3

Correct.

One frog took a a notion to jump off, he didn't actually do it.

I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

The quesetion can't really be answered with the information provided.
WE know that three frogs were sitting on the log to start, but the
question asks, how many are left on the log? Since we aren't told how
many frogs are on the log that are NOT sitting, the question cannot be
answered.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ch-342479-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:14:02 GMT, Darian O Cork
m wrote:

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin,
(or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.

The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"
Posted to rec.woodworking

om wrote:

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin,
(or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.

The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"

.... just make your own ! :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

om wrote:

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin,
(or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.

The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"

... just make your own ! :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

John T.

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."

Priceless!
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
John T, wrote:
... just make your own ! :-)
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."

Priceless!

Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you
get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.

Elijah
------
now, a wide tape measure with a blank area for story marks ...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 3:14:05 PM UTC-7, Darian O Cork wrote:
replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch..... I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Well, it might be time for you to get a metric tape and remember to label all your measurement
notes with units. Conversion is an easy solution.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John T, wrote:
... just make your own ! :-)
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."

Priceless!

Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you
get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.

Elijah
------
now, a wide tape measure with a blank area for story marks ...

It is an old April first item.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, Markem wrote:
Eli the Bearded wrote:
Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you
get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.

It is an old April first item.

I know. And I read the bit where it says:

This year, you really can order our April Fool's Day product -- just
click on the "add to cart" button in the price line below to
proceed. Of course, there aren't really three models, as a single
Precision Story Tape is capable of handling a mix of inches,
centimeters, and cubits. It makes an excellent gift for those who
have everything...

But the price changes between the "April 1st" view and the "you can
actually buy this" view.

Elijah
------
doesn't want a blank tape measure

tape measure mohammad Woodworking 3 May 1st 06 08:13 PM
Reading a tape measure...again Tom Gardner Metalworking 46 November 11th 03 05:19 PM
Diamonds on a tape measure Dominick Fiumara Woodworking 16 October 15th 03 11:42 AM
Does anyone still make tape measure refill tapes? Dirty Bob Woodworking 14 August 11th 03 09:23 PM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 06:04 AM