DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tape measure in Tenths of an inch (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/179957-tape-measure-tenths-inch.html)

eganders October 21st 06 03:15 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow
me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions.
THAT is my major concern. I don't care if the standard is metric or
english, I just don't want to have to deal with fractions. For someone
that is not working with the larger measurements such as meters and
kilometers, that would solve most of the problems. I can get
micrometers, dial indicators and scales in tenths, albeit not in a good
variety.

I found that Lee Valley has a tape in tenths and it is OK, but I would
rather have one from Fastcap. they have nice, high quality, durable
products. Lee Valley has a left to right and a right to left reading
tape, but you have to buy both. Fastcap usually has several features
like this in one tape.

dpb October 21st 06 03:40 PM

eganders wrote:
I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. ...

Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial
listing...

LFK2312D 12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1425D 25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $16.49
LFK2325D 25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths Each $20.95
LFK2133D 33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $24.49
LFKHV1325D 25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1034DM 4M/13' Metric, 10ths Each $10.95
LFKHV1048DM 8M/26' Metric, 10ths Each $16.49
LFKHV1433DM 10M/33' Metric, 10ths Each $18.49

Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less
common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that
isn't available...

Leon October 21st 06 04:04 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

"eganders" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

eganders October 21st 06 04:44 PM

dpb wrote:
Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial
listing...

LFK2312D 12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1425D 25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $16.49
LFK2325D 25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths Each $20.95
LFK2133D 33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths Each $24.49
LFKHV1325D 25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths Each $15.49
LFKHV1034DM 4M/13' Metric, 10ths Each $10.95
LFKHV1048DM 8M/26' Metric, 10ths Each $16.49
LFKHV1433DM 10M/33' Metric, 10ths Each $18.49

Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less
common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that
isn't available...

Hey,
What can I say. I have no excuse, but this is why I love newsgroups.

Edwin Pawlowski October 21st 06 04:47 PM

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

Leon October 21st 06 05:23 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.

[email protected] October 21st 06 05:24 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

Leon wrote:
"eganders" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch.
I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow
me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions.

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

Evidently he prefers decimal fractions to binary.

--

FF

Pat October 21st 06 06:05 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

t...

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.

I work to the nearest 1/8. A helper does the cutting so I call out 12 4 and
they cut it. Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures. I
would love to have a tape marked in 8ths. Maybe I could switch to tenths.
I think I'll buy a couple and see.

Jim October 21st 06 08:18 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:05:39 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures.

You have helpers that can't understand 3/8 vs. 3/4? G

And if they can't, then they are not helpers. They are hinderers.
Jim

Mike 'Flyin'8' October 21st 06 11:05 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

I got one from Lowes.

On 21 Oct 2006 07:15:11 -0700, "eganders" wrote:

[...]

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com

George October 22nd 06 12:32 PM

"Leon" wrote in message

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another
fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer
specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12
1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.

104 tm (tiny marks)

Like those convenient metrics where dimensions up to a meter are reported in
mm, I guess. There are a couple measurements in between, but seldom used.

DanG October 22nd 06 01:53 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7"
or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals
in extreme situations.

I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors
on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys
to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means
lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Pat" wrote in message

t...

Han October 22nd 06 01:55 PM

"DanG" wrote in news:aRJ_g.526$uF.267@dukeread12:

It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

Yes, indeed (grew up in Holland, but here in the US since '69). I always
have to mentally translate 1/8" into ~3 mm. That visualizes much easier.

--
Best regards
Han

CW October 22nd 06 02:44 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

That would be good. That way, you could add the conversion screw ups to the
unfamiliarity of metric. Should result in some rather original building
shapes.

[email protected] October 22nd 06 06:44 PM

DanG wrote:
Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. ...

This was a common practice among molding, dado and plough plane
makers. A #4 dado would be 1/2" wide, for example.

I'm not clear on why it became customary in school to always
reduce fractions (is 'reduce' the right term?)

--

FF

bigdan October 22nd 06 08:18 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

Realize that folding rules and tape measures have been made for years
marked in tenths -- they are primarily used for engineering and
surveying applications

October 22nd 06 08:26 PM

In article aRJ_g.526$uF.267@dukeread12, DanG wrote:
Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7"
or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals
in extreme situations.

I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors
on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys
to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means
lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

My observation has been that for the usual quality of construction
work, 1/8" and 1/10" would be interchangeable. :)

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

October 22nd 06 08:32 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

In article .com,
wrote:

DanG wrote:
Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. ...

This was a common practice among molding, dado and plough plane
makers. A #4 dado would be 1/2" wide, for example.

I'm not clear on why it became customary in school to always
reduce fractions (is 'reduce' the right term?)

--

FF

Using 1/16ths is still common for auger bits. I think they teach
"least common denominators" just to make the concept more intuitive
for kids. 375/1000 doesn't just jump right out at you as a
recognizable fraction.

Han October 22nd 06 08:44 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

() wrote in news:F--
:

Using 1/16ths is still common for auger bits. I think they teach
"least common denominators" just to make the concept more intuitive
for kids. 375/1000 doesn't just jump right out at you as a
recognizable fraction.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

It just depends where you grew up. 0.375 is much more recognizable to me
than 3/8.

Just a my view. Originally Dutch, I moved to the US in 1969, when I was
almost 23.

Now very happy in Radburn
radburn.org

--
Best regards
Han

October 22nd 06 09:02 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

In article ,
Han wrote:
() wrote in news:F--
:

Using 1/16ths is still common for auger bits. I think they teach
"least common denominators" just to make the concept more intuitive
for kids. 375/1000 doesn't just jump right out at you as a
recognizable fraction.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

It just depends where you grew up. 0.375 is much more recognizable to me
than 3/8.

Just a my view. Originally Dutch, I moved to the US in 1969, when I was
almost 23.

You're right about .375. How about something like 51/136 ?

Han October 22nd 06 10:25 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

() wrote in
:

In article ,
Han wrote:
() wrote in news:F--
:

Using 1/16ths is still common for auger bits. I think they teach
"least common denominators" just to make the concept more intuitive
for kids. 375/1000 doesn't just jump right out at you as a
recognizable fraction.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

It just depends where you grew up. 0.375 is much more recognizable to
me than 3/8.

Just a my view. Originally Dutch, I moved to the US in 1969, when I
was almost 23.

You're right about .375. How about something like 51/136 ?

I did have to think hard. Divide numerator and deniminator by a certain
prime number, and voila, what do you get?

--
Best regards
Han

Prometheus October 23rd 06 08:10 AM

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:53:59 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7"
or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals
in extreme situations.

I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors
on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys
to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means
lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is with reading rules
and tape measures. Wouldn't 5 minutes with a guy who can't do it fix
the problem? If it doesn't, why not set him to stacking lumber or
carrying shingles until he learns, or just can him? Way I see it, if
a guy can't read a tape measure, he has no business putting up a
building. That's Framing 101, IMO.

As far as your initial comment goes, that's fine enough. I've worked
with crews that use the same method. But personally, I've always felt
that things hould be as accurate as possible for the long-term
duribility of the building. Never liked 1/16" gaps all over- seems
like years of shaking in heavy winds and storms would weaken things
considerably, as well as allowing crap to collect in the joints and
speed up the fasteners' corrosion.

Puckdropper October 24th 06 06:23 AM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

wrote in news:1161539089.540990.280170
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

I'm not clear on why it became customary in school to always
reduce fractions (is 'reduce' the right term?)

It's very clear when you're looking for the simplest form that there's
more than one way to represent a quantity. That may be why it's common
to do that.

What they don't teach (and should) is that sometimes in the real world
it's easier to leave the fraction unreduced and work with it.

Puckdropper

George October 24th 06 11:13 AM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
wrote in news:1161539089.540990.280170

What they don't teach (and should) is that sometimes in the real world
it's easier to leave the fraction unreduced and work with it.

Sorry, can't teach that. Teaching something supplies the knowledge, but
learning when or how to apply that knowledge requires participation.

[email protected] October 24th 06 04:17 PM

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:1161539089.540990.280170
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

I'm not clear on why it became customary in school to always
reduce fractions (is 'reduce' the right term?)

It's very clear when you're looking for the simplest form that there's
more than one way to represent a quantity. That may be why it's common
to do that.

What they don't teach (and should) is that sometimes in the real world
it's easier to leave the fraction unreduced and work with it.

Yes, that was my point. For comparison, it is much easier to
work with a common denominator. Driving it home to _always_
reduce fractions whether useful or not is the part I question.

This is also an advantage to using binary fractions instead of
decimal. It is easier to chose a base unit appropriate to the
work being done.

For fine cabinetry 1 mm is too course and its too fine for framing.
1/32" may be about right for cabinetry and 1/64" surely is. For
masonry and framing 1/8" may be about right.

You can measure or round to the nearest 2 mm or 3 mm, but
the tape or rule isn't likely to have extra long ticks every 3 mm.
No doubt the guys who have been using SI for construction all
their lives handle it fine, but I'm far from convinced that it is
better than binary fractions.

--

FF

Puckdropper October 25th 06 01:13 AM

Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

"George" wrote in
t:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
wrote in news:1161539089.540990.280170

What they don't teach (and should) is that sometimes in the real
world it's easier to leave the fraction unreduced and work with it.

Sorry, can't teach that. Teaching something supplies the knowledge,
but learning when or how to apply that knowledge requires
participation.

You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

Puckdropper

[email protected] October 25th 06 04:40 AM

Puckdropper wrote:
You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

3/4"

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change
it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a
notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

--

FF

George October 25th 06 11:11 AM

Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"George" wrote in
t:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
wrote in news:1161539089.540990.280170

What they don't teach (and should) is that sometimes in the real
world it's easier to leave the fraction unreduced and work with it.

Sorry, can't teach that. Teaching something supplies the knowledge,
but learning when or how to apply that knowledge requires
participation.

You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

But you can't "fail" them if they don't do the work.

In truth, though, I had more than a few who picked up their basic concept of
fractions a few years late in IA class. Little Physics and Chemistry, too.
Didn't have to listen to those whining "what are we ever gonna use this
for?"

[email protected] October 25th 06 03:30 PM

Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

CW wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...

Puckdropper wrote:
You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

3/4"

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change
it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a
notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

3

Correct.

One frog took a a notion to jump off, he didn't actually do it.

I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

--

FF

CW October 26th 06 01:24 AM

Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

:)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

October 26th 06 04:11 AM

Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

In article .com,
wrote:

CW wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...

Puckdropper wrote:
You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

3/4"

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change
it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a
notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

3

Correct.

One frog took a a notion to jump off, he didn't actually do it.

I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

The quesetion can't really be answered with the information provided.
WE know that three frogs were sitting on the log to start, but the
question asks, how many are left on the log? Since we aren't told how
many frogs are on the log that are NOT sitting, the question cannot be
answered.

Puckdropper October 26th 06 08:47 AM

Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

() wrote in
:

The quesetion can't really be answered with the information provided.
WE know that three frogs were sitting on the log to start, but the
question asks, how many are left on the log? Since we aren't told how
many frogs are on the log that are NOT sitting, the question cannot be
answered.

Actually, I took it to mean:
3 frogs
-------
(a)log

and it's still missing a crucial piece of information!

Also, these are obviously not Shrodinger's frogs, as you've already
observed them and determined their value.

:-)

Puckdropper

Darian O Cork March 19th 19 10:14 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ch-342479-.htm

Clare Snyder March 20th 19 01:22 AM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:14:02 GMT, Darian O Cork
m wrote:

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin,
(or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.

The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"

[email protected] March 20th 19 01:57 AM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

om wrote:

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin,
(or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.

The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"

.... just make your own ! :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

John T.

DerbyDad03 March 20th 19 02:48 AM

om wrote:

replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one
33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin,
(or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.

The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"

... just make your own ! :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

John T.

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."

Priceless!

Eli the Bearded March 20th 19 06:59 PM

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
John T, wrote:
... just make your own ! :-)
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."

Priceless!

Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you
get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.

Elijah
------
now, a wide tape measure with a blank area for story marks ...

whit3rd March 20th 19 10:46 PM

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 3:14:05 PM UTC-7, Darian O Cork wrote:
replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote:
Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch..... I have
to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a
better one.

Well, it might be time for you to get a metric tape and remember to label all your measurement
notes with units. Conversion is an easy solution.

Markem[_2_] March 20th 19 10:48 PM

Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

John T, wrote:
... just make your own ! :-)
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...230,75235&ap=1

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."

Priceless!

Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you
get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.

Elijah
------
now, a wide tape measure with a blank area for story marks ...

It is an old April first item.

Eli the Bearded March 20th 19 11:07 PM

In rec.woodworking, Markem wrote:
Eli the Bearded wrote:
Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you
get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.

It is an old April first item.

I know. And I read the bit where it says:

This year, you really can order our April Fool's Day product -- just
click on the "add to cart" button in the price line below to
proceed. Of course, there aren't really three models, as a single
Precision Story Tape is capable of handling a mix of inches,
centimeters, and cubits. It makes an excellent gift for those who
have everything...

But the price changes between the "April 1st" view and the "you can
actually buy this" view.

Elijah
------
doesn't want a blank tape measure