DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question for Shapton stone users (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/179888-question-shapton-stone-users.html)

B A R R Y October 20th 06 07:32 PM

Question for Shapton stone users

My usual sharpening setup is a 4 stone waterstone series. One of the
stones will soon be due for replacement. I really like Shapton
professional series stones.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the worn stone with the
proper Shapton? I'd rather not buy all four at once, and I'd also
rather not buy another standard waterstone.

Thanks!

Mark & Juanita October 21st 06 04:21 AM

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:32:53 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

My usual sharpening setup is a 4 stone waterstone series. One of the
stones will soon be due for replacement. I really like Shapton
professional series stones.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the worn stone with the
proper Shapton? I'd rather not buy all four at once, and I'd also
rather not buy another standard waterstone.

Thanks!

Certainly can't think of any reason why this would not work. As long as
you get the appropriate grit, you shouldn't have a problem. Would
recommend that with your first Shapton, you also get their flattening
system -- that will set you back approximately the price of another stone.

arw01 October 21st 06 07:21 AM

Question for Shapton stone users

Which four do you have now?

Which would you be adding?

I plan to add a 120 or 220 to my Shaptons:

1000 orange
5000 purple
8000 green

You spend hardly ANY time on that purple, so I could be skipped pretty
easily.

For flattening my shaptons, I bought a diasharp course diamond stone.