DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3 inches VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/179100-3-inches-vs-4-inches-wide-hardwood-flooring.html)

[email protected] October 13th 06 02:48 PM

3 inches VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring

Hi,
Any opinion on 3 VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring? The 4 inch is
little more expensive and I heard from none woodworker it looks better.
I try to put some Brazilian Cherry and I can get 3 inches wide any time
while 4 inches are special order. Wider wood would cupp more and shrink
more than narrower, but is there any concern for Harwood floor and 1
inch difference?

Thanks
MaxEN

Locutus October 13th 06 02:56 PM

3 inches VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
Any opinion on 3 VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring? The 4 inch is
little more expensive and I heard from none woodworker it looks better.
I try to put some Brazilian Cherry and I can get 3 inches wide any time
while 4 inches are special order. Wider wood would cupp more and shrink
more than narrower, but is there any concern for Harwood floor and 1
inch difference?

Thanks
MaxEN

The only difference is whatever you think looks better.

B A R R Y October 13th 06 03:13 PM

Locutus wrote:

The only difference is whatever you think looks better.

I agree. The relief milling on the back of properly made flooring does
a pretty good job of limiting cupping.

Now, if we're talking 3" vs. 12"... G

Locutus October 13th 06 03:27 PM

3 inches VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
m...
Locutus wrote:

The only difference is whatever you think looks better.

I agree. The relief milling on the back of properly made flooring does a
pretty good job of limiting cupping.

Now, if we're talking 3" vs. 12"... G

I guess another difference would be *slightly* less installation as the 4"
would cover more. But not really enough difference to factor into the
decision.

[email protected] October 13th 06 03:51 PM

wrote:
Hi,
Any opinion on 3 VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring? The 4 inch is
little more expensive and I heard from none woodworker it looks better.
I try to put some Brazilian Cherry and I can get 3 inches wide any time
while 4 inches are special order. Wider wood would cup more and shrink
more than narrower, but is there any concern for Harwood floor and 1
inch difference?

I have 4" Red Oak flooring and it seems to cup more than the
I3" flooring. But my Mom has 'random' width oak flooring,
not sure if it is red or white, 3 - 5 inch that has stayed dead flat.

The difference I think is that mine is over an unheated crawlspace,
hers is over a heated basement.

--

FF