DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RAS blade wobble (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/178678-ras-blade-wobble.html)

DCH October 10th 06 03:10 AM

RAS blade wobble

Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, for 40$
looked fine, cleaned up real nice, leveled the table, added a new fence, it
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should, the saw was made for a
9" blade but the guy had a 8" blade on it...I thought that might be an
issue, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this before and what
the possible causes and/or cures that are out there....

Thanks for any help...

DCH

J. Clarke October 10th 06 04:22 AM

RAS blade wobble

"DCH" wrote in message
Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, for 40$
looked fine, cleaned up real nice, leveled the table, added a new fence,
it
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should, the saw was made for a
9" blade but the guy had a 8" blade on it...I thought that might be an
issue, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this before and
what
the possible causes and/or cures that are out there....

First thing to check--are _all_ the adjustments locking tight? Grab the
blade guard and try to move it in all directions. If it moves in any then
you need to find out what's loose and tighten it.

Next, try to wobble the shaft up and down and in and out and see if it
moves--if it does then you may need new bearings, which you should be able
to order off the Sears site.

Check the blade runout--is it wobbling on the shaft? If so the shaft may be
bent or the flat surface on which the blade seats may be deformed.

Next, get Jon Eakes' radial saw book
http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdID=3&nPrdImageID=&CatID=1
and do what it says (there are a lot of adjustments to tune, several of them
could be causing the problem that you're seeing).

Also, see if it is covered by the recall
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/. If it is you can get a hundred bucks
by sending the motor back--not as good as having a working saw but it beats
not having anything.

Thanks for any help...

DCH

Todd October 10th 06 04:36 AM

RAS blade wobble

Just out of curiosity....(and you probably have already checked
this...)

do you have two collars on the blade? (1 to the left and 1 to the
right?) I'm referring to the metal discs that go between the blade and
the nut at the end....I ask because I also found an old RAS, and one of
those collars was missing, which made for quite a wobble. Never cut
with it like that, though...didn't have the guts... :-)

Also, go to www3.sears.com and check out the model number of your RAS,
and take a look at a parts diagram of it. Make sure that you have all
of the important parts.

Good luck,

Todd

[email protected] October 10th 06 04:37 AM

RAS blade wobble

DCH wrote:
Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, ...
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should

If the plane of the blade is not parallel to the line of motion, it'll
buck and
catch and cut a wide groove. Put a straight-edge across the blade
(guard
off and power unplugged, of course) and sight down onto the kerf. If
it's skew,
that's your problem. A single-LED flashlight can cast a useful shadow,
if you
don't like squinting and have an assistant on a ladder...

Loose bearings are also a possibility, but you can tell by just
wiggling the
blade.

Toller October 10th 06 04:57 AM

RAS blade wobble

"DCH" wrote in message
Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, for 40$
looked fine, cleaned up real nice, leveled the table, added a new fence,
it
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should, the saw was made for a
9" blade but the guy had a 8" blade on it...I thought that might be an
issue, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this before and
what
the possible causes and/or cures that are out there....

The first thing you want to do is to see if Emerson will buy it back for
$100. I am not sure where that is, but it will come up on a search.
If not, I wish you well, but don't have any advice to offer.

Roy October 10th 06 06:08 AM

RAS blade wobble

Several have made good runout and various wear check suggestions. Blade warped? Any buildups on
the blade/washers that might be causing it to mount slightly crooked? Blade mount washers flat?
DAMHIKT.

George E. Cawthon October 10th 06 07:48 AM

RAS blade wobble

DCH wrote:
Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, for 40$
looked fine, cleaned up real nice, leveled the table, added a new fence, it
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should, the saw was made for a
9" blade but the guy had a 8" blade on it...I thought that might be an
issue, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this before and what
the possible causes and/or cures that are out there....

Thanks for any help...

DCH

A smaller blade isn't going to make it wobble, but
that blade may be warped or it may warp during
cutting. So, try another blade before you do
anything.

It could be too much end play, check to see if the
blade or shaft can be moved left to right. If
it can, adding a brass washer may solve the
problem, but you will need to buy sheet brass
(check hobby stores for a package of several
sheets with different thickness) and make your own
washers. You want to get end play down to about
0.001 inch.

Rod & Betty Jo October 10th 06 10:33 AM

RAS blade wobble

"DCH" wrote in message
Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, for 40$
looked fine, cleaned up real nice, leveled the table, added a new fence,
it
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should, the saw was made for a
9" blade but the guy had a 8" blade on it...I thought that might be an
issue, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this before and
what
the possible causes and/or cures that are out there....

Thanks for any help...

DCH

Last spring I found the bearings on mine (late 70's) out of whack.....I
could not properly align the saw, each adjustment just made something else
off....I removed the motor and had a small electric motor shop repair it
(approx. $100). Most likely sometime before I had bent something by cutting
a oddball piece of wood(foolish mistake) of which had actually wrecked a
blade. The bearings on mine are epoxied in place, the shop didn't sound real
thrilled with the design but knew how to fix them well......I was told (but
didn't check) that my motor was no longer available for
replacement.......before assuming such a problem make sure the blade is true
and all saw wear/alignment adjustments have been made. Rod

mac davis October 10th 06 06:49 PM

RAS blade wobble

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:22:57 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

"DCH" wrote in message
8...
[...]

ALL excellent suggestions and could be a tutorial!

I would like to begin the inspection with UNPLUG THE SAW, but I admit to being a
bit paranoid about stuff like that...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

DCH October 12th 06 12:25 AM

RAS blade wobble

mac davis wrote in
:

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:22:57 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

. 18...

http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes...l.asp?ProdID=3

&nPrdIm
ageID=&CatID=1 and do what it says (there are a lot of adjustments to
tune, several of them could be causing the problem that you're
seeing).

Also, see if it is covered by the recall
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/. If it is you can get a hundred
bucks by sending the motor back--not as good as having a working saw
but it beats not having anything.

Thanks for any help...

DCH

ALL excellent suggestions and could be a tutorial!

I would like to begin the inspection with UNPLUG THE SAW, but I admit
to being a bit paranoid about stuff like that...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Greetings....

I lapped the washers( retainers, collars, not really sure of the name )
on the sides of the blade flat...the blade does not have any play I can
feel on the arbor, the arm seems to be as square as I can
measure....both to fence and the table...sooooo I will try a better
blade and see if that helps any, the saw only wobbles when its
cutting...it runs very smooth until the cutting begins...I think the saw
qualifies under the emerson recall, so at the very least I might make a
few bucks off the saw...thanks to all for the advise...

DCH

J. Clarke October 12th 06 03:44 AM

RAS blade wobble

"DCH" wrote in message
mac davis wrote in
:

wrote:

"DCH" wrote in message
[...]

Is the blade parallel to the arm?

Jim Behning October 12th 06 04:22 AM

RAS blade wobble

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:25:24 GMT, DCH wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

wrote:

"DCH" wrote in message
[...]

Attach a pencil or nail to the saw blade. Set up your framing square
on the back fence. Set a tooth, pencil point or nail point to trace
the 90 degree leg of the framing square with the saw turned off. Do
things wobble then? I have a radial arm saw from a production shop.
The groves the 4 motor housing runs in is worn in the normal stroke
area. it is tight all the way back and all the extended.

David Starr October 12th 06 04:46 PM

RAS blade wobble

DCH wrote:
mac davis wrote in
:

wrote:

"DCH" wrote in message
[...]

I have a 10" Craftsman radial arm saw. I got it used back in the 1970's
and still use it. The manual for mine is available on the Internet (Old
Woodworking Tools). Google will find it. It's worth doing the
alignment procedure just to rule out things and get everything tight.
If the wobble only shows up when cutting, double check the blade. A
single bent or broken tooth can cause a lot of trouble. If dull or mis
sharpened, bad things will happen. Was it me, I'd invest the price of a
new carbide blade to get the saw running. What kind of shape is the
table in? If its warped, or badly cut up, cutting a new one might help.
On my Craftsman, table alignment comes first. You loosen the angle
irons holding the table to the base. Then adjust five set screws buried
in the bottom of the table with PEM nuts until you can swing the arm
from side to side with the blade just scraping the table. When the
table is flat, tighten the angle irons to the base to hold it in
position. Then use a framing square to get the arm at right angles to
the fence, and a combination square to get the blade at right angles to
the table.

David Starr

findthehumorinthings July 11th 18 08:14 PM

RAS blade wobble

replying to DCH, findthehumorinthings wrote:
I know this forum is dated, but thought I would contribute a key finding on
older Craftsman RAS saws. I just picked up a 1979 model. Hardly used. First
thing I noticed was blade wobble. Confirmed it was the motor shaft. Removed
the blade and blade washers. Noticed a rolled pin through the shaft to hold
the motor shaft to the inside bolt next to the motor. Pulled that rolled pin
and checked the motor shaft again. It's now completely straight. Looked at
the hole where the pin was. It was not lined up. It was drilled incorrectly
in the factory. I'm likely going to redrill that hole so I can fasten the pin
in again, but that was a reasonably easy fix for a bad manufacturing problem
that caused this saw to sit in a garage for almost 40 years, unused.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...le-340423-.htm

dpb[_3_] July 11th 18 08:59 PM

RAS blade wobble

On 7/11/2018 1:14 PM, findthehumorinthings wrote:
replying to DCH, findthehumorinthings wrote:
I know this forum is dated, but thought I would contribute a key finding on
older Craftsman RAS saws.Â* I just picked up a 1979 model.Â* Hardly used.
First
thing I noticed was blade wobble.Â* Confirmed it was the motor shaft.
Removed
the blade and blade washers.Â* Noticed a rolled pin through the shaft to
hold
the motor shaft to the inside bolt next to the motor.Â* Pulled that
rolled pin
and checked the motor shaft again.Â* It's now completely straight.
Looked at
the hole where the pin was.Â* It was not lined up.Â* It was drilled
incorrectly
in the factory.Â* I'm likely going to redrill that hole so I can fasten
the pin
in again, but that was a reasonably easy fix for a bad manufacturing
problem
that caused this saw to sit in a garage for almost 40 years, unused.

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing this...how about posting a link
to a picture???

Scott Lurndal July 11th 18 10:26 PM

RAS blade wobble

dpb writes:
[...]

A guess is that the blade wasn't seated squarely on the shaft and
by taking the blade off and reinstalling it (regardless of the roll pin)
it became square again (and lost the wobble).

dpb[_3_] July 11th 18 11:38 PM

RAS blade wobble

dpb writes:
[...]

Something of that ilk seems far more likely...