Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forstner bits.

I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

I have a set of Freud carbide forstner bits.

I wouldn't leave home without them.

SFWIW, the set comes with a 1-3/8 for 35mm hinges, but no 7/8 which I
added.

Use HHS brad points below 1/2" except for the 1/4 & 3/8 which are Freud.

If you want very good brad point drills, find a supplier to the die
cutting industry such as gasket houses.

My landlord is a gasket maker & has some very neat brad point drills.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Oct 2006 21:12:25 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

In the interest of full disclosure, I have only used the set I own, so
this is not a compare/contrast endorsement.

I've got a $20 7-pc set of "Columbian" brand Forsner bits, and they've
been going strong for about three years. They see a fair amount of
use, and most of the work I do is in hard maple, so I wouldn't
hesitate to buy them again. The cuts are smooth and clean, and they
don't seem to be dulling at all, so I don't see how spending more $$$
would be an improvement. IIRC, they are HSS with a TiN coating, but
they could be carbide- it's been a while since I threw the info that
came with them away.

A few notes on carbide in general, though- while it's very hard, and
doesn't dull easily, you're not going to be able to touch it up with
anything short of a diamond hone. It is also a grained material-
which means that it is tough in one direction, but fairly brittle in
the perpendicular direction. I'm sure they work out the best grain
direction when they manufacture the bits, but you had better be sure
your drill press is pretty steady- I know that when using carbide
taps, even the slightest side-to-side movement can snap even a fairly
stout tap very easily. Don't know about the forsner bits, but it's
something to consider.

For the cost of a high-end set, I think I'd go with the HSS, so that I
had the option to touch them up with a file if they get dull. But
then again, I'm awfully happy with the cheap set. They're perfectly
servicable, and when they do eventually wear out, $20 won't put me in
the poorhouse to replace them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you keep your eye on all the HF catalogs you receive... you can find
their 7 piece forstner set in Titanium for $7.95 and once in a while I find
them for $3.99... yes I did say $3.99. I usually buy 3 or four sets at that
price and after a few holes, I sell them at my next garage sale and open up
a new box!

Dennis Slabaugh
Hobbyist Wood Worker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

"Prometheus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Carbide does not seem to come or sharpen as sharp as freshly sharpened
HSS. Carbide does however hold the edge that it has, longer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dennis wrote:
If you keep your eye on all the HF catalogs you receive... you can find
their 7 piece forstner set in Titanium for $7.95 and once in a while I find
them for $3.99... yes I did say $3.99. I usually buy 3 or four sets at that
price and after a few holes, I sell them at my next garage sale and open up
a new box!

I'll second that. I got a cheapo set from HF a few years ago, planning
to replace them as soon as they wore out. I've been using them
semi-regularly since then, and have yet to wear them out! I did get
some of the HSS forstners from LV in my more commonly used sizes, and
they do cut cleaner and spin truer, but I find I'm more worried about
burning them, just because each bit cost more than my whole HF set.
When I need a really smooth or precise hole, I look for the LV bits,
but if I'm drilling through melamine-coated chipboard or something that
would tend to dull the bits, or if I just need a quick deepish hole for
doweling or countersinking or something, the HF bits are more than
adequate. Mine aren't even the gold-colored TiN. Maybe $5 for the
7-piece set IIRC?
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Oct 2006 21:12:25 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I'd recommend carbide Forstners. I've got plenty of HSS Forstners,
but tend to heat up and in one case blued, resulting in no sharpness
at all. D*mn! That's when I learned about the carbide tipped ones.
That carbide replacement stays sharp. Well, as sharp as carbide gets.
I'm not sure, but it seems a little more heat resistant too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" writes:

I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.

one thing to be aware of with the cheapo ones is that
they can't cut well unless you have a starter hole in the middle.

The good ones can cut without a center support.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Rob, Nice to see you back!
To me, its all about what and how often I need a particular size and what
I'm drilling. I have several carbide forstners and several HSS (Freud) and
a whole slew of HCS for the occasional hole. I don't know the name of the
HCS set as they are quite old.

As you said you only needed a few flat bottom holes, If it good hardwood,
get a good HSS bit for the size, If its into particle board, get the
specific bit in carbide.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce Barnett wrote:
one thing to be aware of with the cheapo ones is that
they can't cut well unless you have a starter hole in the middle.

The good ones can cut without a center support.

In my experience with the HF set, they cut fine without a center hole
(using a drill press). Maybe I just got lucky and have a particularly
good cheap set, but I've never needed a pilot hole when using them in
my drill press.
YMMV
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
George Max wrote:
On 8 Oct 2006 21:12:25 -0700, "Robatoy" wrote:

I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I'd recommend carbide Forstners. I've got plenty of HSS Forstners,
but tend to heat up and in one case blued, resulting in no sharpness
at all. D*mn! That's when I learned about the carbide tipped ones.
That carbide replacement stays sharp. Well, as sharp as carbide gets.
I'm not sure, but it seems a little more heat resistant too.

I know there's a limit, but the whole point of HSS is that it can get
hot and still keep it's temper. With good HSS the wood would start
smoking and burning before the bit would be harmed.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:32:33 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett
wrote:

"Robatoy" writes:

I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.

one thing to be aware of with the cheapo ones is that
they can't cut well unless you have a starter hole in the middle.

The good ones can cut without a center support.

Hmm. Mine seem to be fine, though I don't know about the HF ones.
Though I never used anything from them- the prices are so low, I get
visions of Big Lots.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bruce Barnett wrote:
one thing to be aware of with the cheapo ones is that
they can't cut well unless you have a starter hole in the middle.

The good ones can cut without a center support.

In my experience with the HF set, they cut fine without a center hole
(using a drill press). Maybe I just got lucky and have a particularly
good cheap set, but I've never needed a pilot hole when using them in
my drill press.
YMMV
Andy

I also have a cheapo from HF - absolutely no problem w/o a center hole in
pine, oak, mahogany, walnut or hard maple. Bottom line - they work
perfectly fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Unless you'll be doing production work with them I don't think I'd spend
the extra money for carbide. I'd opt for quality HSS. Fisch bits are
an excellent choice. See:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...ff&qt_s=Search

and

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11383

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Rob,

Buy GOOD bits, and _only_ the ones you need. The urge to get the "free" box
with the set is strong ... resist it you must!

We did just that a few years back during a machine-building frenzy; the GOOD
bits did their job, and are still sharp, but are only taking up a fraction
of the space the others would occupy had they been purchased. Not to
mention, the few needed good bits were less than the "inexpensive" sets.

Regards,

Rick

BTW, how's your Sis?

"Robatoy" wrote
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 5:32 pm, "Rick M"
wrote:
Hey Rob,

Hiya Rick!

Buy GOOD bits, and _only_ the ones you need. The urge to get the "free" box
with the set is strong ... resist it you must!

I'm checking off the ones I want from the LeeValley catalogue...HSS. I
have the important one (35 mm) in carbide already. Paid stupid money
for it out of the Hafele catalogue. Mind you, it has drilled thousands
of hinge-cups in justabout every kind of material and is still just
fine.

BTW, how's your Sis?

So kind of you to ask. She had some setbacks but battled her way
through. Then she had a 7 hour operation on her neck after which there
has been sufficient improvement for her to go home next Thursday. She's
not walking yet but has again taken up her first love; painting. The
improvements over the last 3 weeks has been nothing short of
remarkable. She buzzes around in her chair now and ramps have been
built around the house so she'll be able to feed herself, watch her new
flatscreen and she will be on-line soon.
We are all very encouraged. Her spirits are very high.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

You don't need carbide unless you are doing thousands and thousands of
holes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" writes:

Bruce Barnett wrote:
one thing to be aware of with the cheapo ones is that
they can't cut well unless you have a starter hole in the middle.

The good ones can cut without a center support.

In my experience with the HF set, they cut fine without a center hole
(using a drill press).

Heck, you can put an adjustable "wing" hole saw in a drillpress and
get it to cut. But a good Forstner bit will work in a handheld drill,
even when there is no center hole. (It does need to get a small bite first.)

The ones I'm talking about have a circular cutting edge on the rim,
like shown he

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/articles/bit4.jpg

I bought a cheapo set on sale, and it doesn't have the cutting
rim. Instead it has a spur on the edge, like the Stanley PowerBore
bits. I HAVE to use the cheapos in a drillpress when I can't use a
center guide. Otherwise they walk all over the place.

The cheap ones I have are easier to sharpen, like the PowerBore bits.
Sharpening the rim-type is tricky.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

In my experience, Forstners tend to heat up pretty quickly. I've been
excruciatingly careful with mine to avoid burning - and have been
wishing that I'd bought a carbide-tipped set. (The HSS set I have came
from Woodcraft Supply.)

I thought the whole point of HSS that it's air-quenched, and thus can't
be "burnt" because it hardens again as soon as it cools?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

It is.

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Morris Dovey wrote:

I thought the whole point of HSS that it's air-quenched, and thus can't
be "burnt" because it hardens again as soon as it cools?

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in need of a few sizes of flat-bottomed holes.

The difference between HCS and HSS is well established, and worth the
extra few bucks to go to HSS.
But what about carbide?
Any sets you guys like? ( 1/4 - 1" in 1/8 increments would be fine.)
Lee Valley has a nice set.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

The big benefit of carbide is its temperature resistance and long wear. Big
downsides are that it's relatively difficult to sharpen, doesn't take as
fine an edge as steel, and is relatively brittle.

Unless I knew in advance that I was going to be doing high volume or working
wth some of the hard and abrasive exotics I'd go with HSS.

Personally I've got an old Chinese-made carbon steel set that has drilled
everything I've thrown at it and never given me a problem, but I almost
always use the drill press and adhere to the speeds marked inside the top of
the box lid--they work fine in the hand-held drill but generally if I need
Forstner precision I want the precise positioning I can get with the drill
press.