Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Table saw inquiry Model 36-982

Is anyone familiar with this model saw?
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=6086

I special ordered it but the boxes it came in all are labeled with
model 36-979. Is 36-979 the base model and all the accessories added
make up the model 36-982 or is there actually a unique saw model 36-982

unrelated to 36-979?

I've asked delta days ago but they don't seen to care much about
answering their customers' questions so I thought maybe some fellow
delta owners out there had any further information.

Thanks all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Oct 2006 18:31:54 -0700, wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this model saw?
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=6086

I special ordered it but the boxes it came in all are labeled with
model 36-979. Is 36-979 the base model and all the accessories added
make up the model 36-982 or is there actually a unique saw model 36-982

unrelated to 36-979?

Aha! Delta's model numbering strikes again. I've got the 36-680, but
that number comes from the packaging of options together. The base is
a 36-379, the cast-iron extension wing and the T2 fence make it a
36-680. Upgrading it to a Unifence or Beismeyer would change the
model number again, as a little chart near the last page of the manual
shows. Your setup is a couple steps up from mine on the Delta
hierarchy, but it's almost certainly the same numbering system. A
good look near the back of the manual should show the options with the
attendant package part number that are possible on your saws base.

I've asked delta days ago but they don't seen to care much about
answering their customers' questions so I thought maybe some fellow
delta owners out there had any further information.

Yeah, it's a real shame how much their customer service has went in
the crapper. They used to be really good on that- not anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I believe he sent a e-mail, which is not a very
good way to contact Delta.

In order to figure out all the various models,
you need a "complete" Delta Equipment manual,
which most folks, other than dealers, do not
have access to.

Using the web site, you can figure out "most"
models, but they always start with the "base model"
and add various features to make "other" models.

Prometheus wrote:

I've asked delta days ago but they don't seen to care much about
answering their customers' questions so I thought maybe some fellow
delta owners out there had any further information.

Yeah, it's a real shame how much their customer service has went in
the crapper. They used to be really good on that- not anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Oct 2006 18:31:54 -0700, wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this model saw?
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=6086

I special ordered it but the boxes it came in all are labeled with
model 36-979. Is 36-979 the base model and all the accessories added
make up the model 36-982 or is there actually a unique saw model 36-982

unrelated to 36-979?

I've asked delta days ago but they don't seen to care much about
answering their customers' questions so I thought maybe some fellow
delta owners out there had any further information.

Thanks all.

Delta, like many manufacturers uses a "master box" inventory system
whereby the master box is a combination of a number of items that each
have their own unique number. You bought the "master box". The
36-979 may be the base unit number. This allows items to come from
different sources, be stocked in a central warehouse, and pulled
accurately and confirmed with bar code reader, and billed
appropriately, when sold.

The numbering system was changed on Unisaws so that the "master box"
number became the sum of the components, that is 36-table saw, L-left
tilt,31- three HP,single phase, BC-Biesemeyer commercial, 50 - fifty
inch fence.

even with this system, promotional units having other items and free
goods may get a unique "master box" number.

I don't think they ever got around to doing the contractor line.

Too bad no one got back with you. Since I have not been employed by
Delta, I've used the contact email system a number of times to ask
questions, and in some cases to advise of errors in manuals or parts
lists. I've always recieved an answer within 48 hours which I think
is the goal.

Frank

I represent no one but myself.