Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sonar Tape Measures

I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house. I have
three in mind:

1.)Craftsman Laser Guided Measuring Tool - Mfr. model #LM04CN
2.)Black & Decker Sonic Measurer - BDSM100
3.)Ryobi Measure Tech Plus Stud Sensor & Sonic Tape Measure - Model
EMTP006

Does anybody have any knowlege of any of these? Are any of them good?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

I have had a few different models. They seem to last about a year and then
they die. I just use a tape measure now.

cm

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house. I have
three in mind:

1.)Craftsman Laser Guided Measuring Tool - Mfr. model #LM04CN
2.)Black & Decker Sonic Measurer - BDSM100
3.)Ryobi Measure Tech Plus Stud Sensor & Sonic Tape Measure - Model
EMTP006

Does anybody have any knowlege of any of these? Are any of them good?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house. I have
three in mind:

1.)Craftsman Laser Guided Measuring Tool - Mfr. model #LM04CN
2.)Black & Decker Sonic Measurer - BDSM100
3.)Ryobi Measure Tech Plus Stud Sensor & Sonic Tape Measure - Model
EMTP006

Does anybody have any knowlege of any of these? Are any of them good?
Thanks

Neither of those names is really known for quality tools in that class of
tool. These are gadget tools anyway. They don't serve any real purpose
other than to attract the eye. Save yourself the money and just go buy a
good 25' or 30' steel tape. You're only measuring your house after all.
There's nothing in that job that requires sonar anything.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't even consider any of the three you listed. If you want
something good, get a PLS1 by Pacific Laser Systems. Spec is 1/8" at
300'. What do you need to measure, and for what?

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote in message

I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house. I have
three in mind:

1.)Craftsman Laser Guided Measuring Tool - Mfr. model #LM04CN
2.)Black & Decker Sonic Measurer - BDSM100
3.)Ryobi Measure Tech Plus Stud Sensor & Sonic Tape Measure - Model
EMTP006

Does anybody have any knowlege of any of these? Are any of them good?
Thanks

Neither of those names is really known for quality tools in that class of
tool. These are gadget tools anyway. They don't serve any real purpose
other than to attract the eye. Save yourself the money and just go buy a
good 25' or 30' steel tape. You're only measuring your house after all.
There's nothing in that job that requires sonar anything.

I agree with the general sentiment about the lower end tools of that
sort. Probably not worth the money. Not so sure about the last part,
though.

20 years ago many people would have said the same thing about laser
levels. I can't imagine not having one now. I picked up the Hilti
PD30 Laser Range Meter at the Borg the other day. The thing is a small
brick, seems stoutly made, and it has some pretty impressive specs.
Next excuse I can dream up...

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Yes, there is. I bought one a while back to do the floorplan of my house.
Using a regular tape measure is a two person job. Getting around/over
furniture ect. The time and effort it saved me was worth the cost.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article .com,

wrote:
I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house.

Why? Is there some reason to not use a conventional tape measure?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house. I have
three in mind:

1.)Craftsman Laser Guided Measuring Tool - Mfr. model #LM04CN
2.)Black & Decker Sonic Measurer - BDSM100
3.)Ryobi Measure Tech Plus Stud Sensor & Sonic Tape Measure - Model
EMTP006

Does anybody have any knowlege of any of these? Are any of them good?
Thanks

All are junk. Get a 30' Stanley FATMax. You won't regret it.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house. I have
three in mind:

1.)Craftsman Laser Guided Measuring Tool - Mfr. model #LM04CN
2.)Black & Decker Sonic Measurer - BDSM100
3.)Ryobi Measure Tech Plus Stud Sensor & Sonic Tape Measure - Model
EMTP006

Does anybody have any knowlege of any of these? Are any of them good?
Thanks

They are only good for quick approximate measurements. Realtors seem to
like them.