Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood hardeners: epoxy vs. CA vs. minwax hardener vs. Polyalletc...

blueman wrote:
I am looking for a wood hardener to reinforce shelf pin holes
(drilled in 3/4" plywood) so that they don't tearout under load (note
that I am also using shelf pin sleeves).

Assuming this is the same shelf, you said earlier that there was no
tearout with 200lbs. Why would you need to reinforce it?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen writes:
blueman wrote:
I am looking for a wood hardener to reinforce shelf pin holes
(drilled in 3/4" plywood) so that they don't tearout under load (note
that I am also using shelf pin sleeves).

Assuming this is the same shelf, you said earlier that there was no
tearout with 200lbs. Why would you need to reinforce it?

Chris

Belt & suspenders...
My concern is that over many years, I may still get tearout due to
wear-and-tear and abuse.

I have tested the setup using CA reinforced holes up to 400 lbs without
tearout. Since CA is relatively expensive, this got me to wondering
whether epoxy or minwax harderner would be equivalent or even better
alternatives.
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
Chris Friesen writes:

Assuming this is the same shelf, you said earlier that there was no
tearout with 200lbs. Why would you need to reinforce it?

Belt & suspenders...
My concern is that over many years, I may still get tearout due to
wear-and-tear and abuse.

Fair enough. I'm partial to overkill as well.

I have tested the setup using CA reinforced holes up to 400 lbs without
tearout. Since CA is relatively expensive, this got me to wondering
whether epoxy or minwax harderner would be equivalent or even better
alternatives.

Epoxy would probably be equivalent, if not better. CA can be brittle.
Generally the longer cure epoxies are stronger than the 5-minute stuff.

Chris