Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Fiberglass stripping

We have a Pella fiberglass exterior door, that the paint is flaking off.
We have looked for strippers to remove the old stain but have been
unsuccessful.

Does any one have any suggestions for preparing the surface of a
fiberglass exterior door for refinishing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
.. .
We have a Pella fiberglass exterior door, that the paint is flaking off.
We have looked for strippers to remove the old stain but have been
unsuccessful.

Does any one have any suggestions for preparing the surface of a
fiberglass exterior door for refinishing?

What do you mean by being unsuccessful? Strippers are commonplace - every
Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, Sears, and most local bars have strippers
of one sort or another. Take a look at what's out there and follow the
directions.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
.. .
We have a Pella fiberglass exterior door, that the paint is flaking off.
We have looked for strippers to remove the old stain but have been
unsuccessful.

Does any one have any suggestions for preparing the surface of a
fiberglass exterior door for refinishing?

Caution may be in order here. Most fiberglass is glass fibers encapsulated
in an epoxy like resin. Some strippers will eat the resin.

I would avoid the strippers using methylene chloride. They have citrus
based strippers that might do the trick. Of course there is always sanding.

--
Roger Shoaf