DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gluing Painted Wood Question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/177583-gluing-painted-wood-question.html)

Scraper September 29th 06 05:22 PM

Gluing Painted Wood Question

I am building some garage shelves. I am going to prime and paint the
wood before assembling the shelves. My question is this: I am going
to be attaching some decorative trim pieces with glue. Should I leave
the glue surfaces unpainted for optimal adhesion? Or will the glue
work just as well on a painted surface?

Thanks,
S.

[email protected] September 29th 06 06:22 PM

Scraper wrote:
I am building some garage shelves. I am going to prime and paint the
wood before assembling the shelves. My question is this: I am going
to be attaching some decorative trim pieces with glue. Should I leave
the glue surfaces unpainted for optimal adhesion? Or will the glue
work just as well on a painted surface?

Thanks,
S.

use latex caulking for the glue.

alexy September 29th 06 07:46 PM

"Scraper" wrote:

I am building some garage shelves. I am going to prime and paint the
wood before assembling the shelves. My question is this: I am going
to be attaching some decorative trim pieces with glue. Should I leave
the glue surfaces unpainted for optimal adhesion? Or will the glue
work just as well on a painted surface?

Thanks,
S.

No
Yes

Now you've got short answers going both waysg. And the real answer
is that it probably makes no difference. What is "optimal adhesion"?
If the trim needs to just stay on, paint first is okay. If the trim
pieces will be bearing weight (e.g., screwing hooks into the trim,
from which you will hang heavy objects), then better to glue bare
wood.

Leon September 29th 06 07:52 PM

Gluing Painted Wood Question

"Scraper" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building some garage shelves. I am going to prime and paint the
wood before assembling the shelves. My question is this: I am going
to be attaching some decorative trim pieces with glue. Should I leave
the glue surfaces unpainted for optimal adhesion? Or will the glue
work just as well on a painted surface?

Thanks,
S.

If the pieces are light weight you can glue or double stick carpet tape the
pieces on.