Posted to rec.woodworking

Default new table saw

I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench top. With
tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about $400.00 to $600.00. What
would you suggest in brands? I want something that I can at least fine
tune. Was not able to with the Craftsman.
Patt

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patt" wrote in message
I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench top.
With
tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about $400.00 to $600.00.
What
would you suggest in brands? I want something that I can at least fine
tune. Was not able to with the Craftsman.
Patt

I recently purchased the Ridgid TS3650 after reading probably hundreds of
reviews and articles. I have not been disappointed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patt wrote:
I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench
top. With tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about
$400.00 to $600.00. What would you suggest in brands? I want
something that I can at least fine tune. Was not able to with the
Craftsman.
Patt

If you can go a bit higher...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0478

If not...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=530000

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patt" wrote in message
I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench top.

With
tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about $400.00 to $600.00.

What
would you suggest in brands? I want something that I can at least fine
tune. Was not able to with the Craftsman.
Patt

It surprises me that you cannot fine tune your saw Patt. What do you mean
by fine tune? Are you talking about aligning the blade to precise parallel
with the miter slot or are you talking about very fine adjustments of the
fence? Either should be possible with any saw sold by Sears today.

Often the standard fence that comes with saws - especially in the $400 -
$600 price range, are not the greatest fences and you really want to look
closely at what you're getting for $600. Equally often, they are plenty
good enough saws if you invest in a good aftermarket fence system. I put a
Sears Align-A-Rip 24x24 on an old Craftsman Model 100 and I can get all of
the precision you could want for building furniture. Simply. The fence
system is dead accurate and easy to adjust. I paid under $200 for it. You
can look at lots of other fence systems for way more than that, but you will
have to decide if you're getting way more fence for way more money. All I
can tell you is that mine is great.

Is this the saw you bought?...

[http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...tical=Sears&BV
_UseBVCookie=Yes]

If so, you should well be able to get the fine adjustments and precision you
want out of it. Maybe you could provide more information.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patt wrote:
I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench top. With
tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about $400.00 to $600.00. What
would you suggest in brands? I want something that I can at least fine
tune. Was not able to with the Craftsman.
Patt

Got my used delta unisaw for $350, plus $80 for new arbor bearings and
$25 for belts. Another $300 for a new biesemeyer.

Can you get to $800 if you save for a bit? If so keep your eyes out
for a unisaw or pm 66. You won't regret it.

A.M. Wood

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check http://www.tools-plus.com/del-table-saws.html
They have a Delta 36-977 left-tilt contractor's saw advertised for $539,
which sounds like its in your price range.

--Jim

"Patt" wrote in message
I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench top.

With
tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about $400.00 to $600.00.

What
would you suggest in brands? I want something that I can at least fine
tune. Was not able to with the Craftsman.
Patt

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like the Grizz, but it should be know that for it to do as much as the
Rigid you need to up the price to $1023. that gets you the extensions and
mobile base..... and it does require a 30 amp (12ga) dedicated line....

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Patt wrote:
I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench
top. With tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about
$400.00 to $600.00. What would you suggest in brands? I want
something that I can at least fine tune. Was not able to with the
Craftsman.
Patt

If you can go a bit higher...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0478

If not...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=530000

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tall Oak" wrote in message

I like the Grizz, but it should be know that for it to do as much as the
Rigid you need to up the price to $1023. that gets you the extensions and
mobile base..... and it does require a 30 amp (12ga) dedicated line....

Minor correction - Number 12 wire is only rated for 20A. 30A requires 10.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

Interesting. I was able to "fine tune" my $60 HF bench saw with no
problem. Of course the fence takes a lot of fiddling to use accurately,
but by using a saw sled the saw is plenty accurae.

Huh! Apparently you haven't read all the posts saying you need to shell
out at least $800 (not including another few hundred on machinist tools
for setup-- mere pocket change when you think about it) for a saw that
is scarcely worthy for a stray dog to throw up on. Don't you know that
runout of just .4 paramecium nose hairs can cause impotence, sunspots,
and reversal of the Earth's magnetic polarity? Let's just pretend you
didn't even use the word "accurate" in the same sentence (or paragraph
or post or newsgroup or universe) as what I'll politely call the
HF-word. There could be children reading this.