Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What happened toThompsons Water seal?

I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Shopdog" wrote in news:AFiQg.127$Fh.91@trnddc07:

I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish
my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single
gal is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product
seems to have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a
concrete section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of
the patio done with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

It's probably bad. Take it back for an exchange.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Shopdog" writes:
I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

Take a look at the side of the 5 gallon pail. Look for a toll free
telephone number. Ask the kind person who answers why the product
is milky, and they'll be more than happy to answer your question.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some unsolicited advice, try another brand. I used Thompsons several times
on my deck and found it not very durable. I had to reapply pretty much
every other year. The last stain I used was Cabot, which was much better.
I don't remember when I applied it, but it has been about 5 years and it
still looks better than the Thompson's did in 2.

-Steve W

"Shopdog" wrote in message
I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a
concrete section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the
patio done with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, I will try the suggestions, but I know that the one that I bought was in
fact not a bad product, because I went to the store and opend another
container (1 gal) and it too was milky. Also, I am looking for a clear
liquid water proofer or sealer, not for wood or concrete but I used to use
the Thompsons for my pop up camper. It soaked right in and worked great for
5 years, its now time for another treatment but I sure don't want to spray
on a milky substance and I DON"T want to pay crazy money for "specialized"
treatment for canvas. Hell for 12 bucks I could treat my camper and my tents
and still have enough left over for any other camping gear that needed it.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shopdog wrote:
I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

I would also ask about their recommendations for use on a pop-up camper.
I assume you are going to use it on the canvas part. The old Thompson's
water seal was essentially paraffin dissolved in mineral spirits or
something similar. I don't know about the new type.

In my day, we tried to firePROOF canvas that we used over our heads, not
make a candle out of it with wax.

Maybe I'm out of my head with assumptions. It's one of my afflictions.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A professor is one who talks in
someone else's sleep.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ok, I just got off the phone with Thompsons, I was told that in my region
due to EPA regs they are not allow to ship solvent based product. So, they
now make the water seal with a water base. It was always safe to use as the
solvent evaporated over a few days when it was solvent based and they say
that now since it is water based it is even more safe to use. Although, the
area to be treated MUST be completely moisture free.

As soon I started the conversation I was stopped in my tracks, the woman
said that everyone has been calling about the milky white product!

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shopdog wrote:
ok, I just got off the phone with Thompsons, I was told that in my region
due to EPA regs they are not allow to ship solvent based product. So, they
now make the water seal with a water base. It was always safe to use as the
solvent evaporated over a few days when it was solvent based and they say
that now since it is water based it is even more safe to use.

She was referring to the risk of fire and explosion when applying the
product. The old product was wax dissolved in a fammable solvent.
The new product is something (possibly wax and an emulsifier)
dissolved in a nonflammable solvent.

Unless the dissolved solids in the new product are non-combustable,
and I don't think that there are any noncombustable waxes, using it
on canvas will still increase the fire risk associated with the
water-prooofed
aterial just as with the old product.

It may be possible to use the MSDS to deduce the material deposited
on the canvas.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:02:04 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

ok, I just got off the phone with Thompsons, I was told that in my region
due to EPA regs they are not allow to ship solvent based product. So, they
now make the water seal with a water base. It was always safe to use as the
solvent evaporated over a few days when it was solvent based and they say
that now since it is water based it is even more safe to use. Although, the
area to be treated MUST be completely moisture free.

As soon I started the conversation I was stopped in my tracks, the woman
said that everyone has been calling about the milky white product!

Searcher

Hmmm... a water based product to waterproof wood....
Sort of like "how do they get teflon to stick to the damn pan?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:02:04 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

Hmmm... a water based product to waterproof wood....
Sort of like "how do they get teflon to stick to the damn pan?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

A bit of glue and a few brads..... y'all know the rest. :-)
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Northey" wrote in news:_aFQg.10616$R63.5883
@pd7urf1no:

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:02:04 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

Hmmm... a water based product to waterproof wood....
Sort of like "how do they get teflon to stick to the damn pan?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

A bit of glue and a few brads..... y'all know the rest. :-)
Jim

"How did you get this grey tape-like finish? It must have taken a long
time."

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Shopdog wrote:
[...]

All that solvent evaporating pollutes the air. Some places can't handle
the extra. The EPA is not concerned with your safety.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Del Cecchi wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Shopdog wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is why the volotile organic content of virtually all finishes
has
been drastically reduced in recent years.

Some places can't handle
the extra. The EPA is not concerned with your safety.

Of course they are. Reducing air polution is a human safety issue.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Shopdog, Delia wrote:
lookout wrote:

I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a

concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.
Searcher

From the Thompsons site:
Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style
sprayer is the simplest method. Product will appear milky white during
application, but will dry clear. If puddling of product occurs, remove
within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...al-336849-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

lookout wrote:

I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a

concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.
Searcher

From the Thompsons site:
Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style
sprayer is the simplest method. Product will appear milky white during
application, but will dry clear. If puddling of product occurs, remove
within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.

The old formula doesn't pass the "greenies test". The new stuff is
not as good as the old stuff, but it is legal to sell and use without
a Hazmat licence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

lookout wrote:

I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish
my deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older)
single gal is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the
product seems to have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a

concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio
done with the older pail looks fine.
Searcher

From the Thompsons site:
Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style
sprayer is the simplest method. Product will appear milky white during
application, but will dry clear. If puddling of product occurs, remove
within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.

Original Question from Homeowners hub site is dated Sept. 20, 2006
That's 7 years ago.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:10:45 -0400, willshak
wrote:

I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish
my deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older)
single gal is clear fluid.

From the Thompsons site:
Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style
sprayer is the simplest method. Product will appear milky white during
application, but will dry clear. If puddling of product occurs, remove
within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.

Original Question from Homeowners hub site is dated Sept. 20, 2006
That's 7 years ago.

OK, its time for a re-coat and maybe he forgot the answer in the
meantime. I rarely look at the date so a regurgitated post can get by
me too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Shopdog, Dusty wrote:
My husband just screamed about that too!!! The old can is oil based the new
stuff is water based... looks like they changed the formula... he hates it!!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-336849-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 8:10:50 AM UTC-7, mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:02:04 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

ok, I just got off the phone with Thompsons, I was told that in my region
due to EPA regs they are not allow to ship solvent based product. So, they
now make the water seal with a water base...

Hmmm... a water based product to waterproof wood....
Sort of like "how do they get teflon to stick to the damn pan?

It's the best way to deliver waterproofing, actually; the active stuff washes
into all the same places that water will attempt to enter.

One gallon of water as a vehicle, and after drying, hundreds of gallons of
rain just can't get in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 21:44:02 GMT, Dusty
m wrote:

replying to Shopdog, Dusty wrote:
My husband just screamed about that too!!! The old can is oil based the new
stuff is water based... looks like they changed the formula... he hates it!!!!

It can't be any worse that the original.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dusty wrote:
replying to Shopdog, Dusty wrote:
My husband just screamed about that too!!! The old can is oil based the new
stuff is water based... looks like they changed the formula... he hates it!!!!

Shopdog wrote that 11 years ago. Since then the deck has rotted and gone.

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 8:03:20 PM UTC-4, G Ross wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Shopdog wrote that 11 years ago. Since then the deck has rotted and gone..

--
G Ross

G Ross, I laughed about this, because 11 years ago, yes, Thompson's already sucked... and then they made it 'suck worse" when the VOC laws got changed. Most of us saw those products infiltrate the stores in early 2011, regardless of whose brand... paints, primers, stains all affected.

http://www.paintdirect.com/voc_regulations.htm

So, regardless of timing, 2006 or 2013, both posters were correct... and as Dusty noted this month, they certainly remain correct today. Thompson's hasn't been right since about 1997 or so.

Look for Cabot's Australian Timber Oil for a transparent (or lightly tinted) product that does today what Thompson's used to do then. Yes, even this has gone downhill based on the VOC terrain, but it's still a high quality oil blend, compared to the other crap on the market today.

General Finishes makes a nice outdoor oil, too... but be advised it's pricey. I don't suspect that the people looking for Thompson at around $60 for a fiver want to pay for General at around $25 a quart, but it's a quality product and worth a mention. I use it on cedar trellises and maybe a bench or table or two, a bench or two, not on my entire deck surface.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 08:07:46 -0700 (PDT), Steve
wrote:

So, regardless of timing, 2006 or 2013, both posters were correct..

Thompson was real good attracting a nice layer of "protective dirt",
just cause they say it good does not mean it is. "They" being
marketing department.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dusty wrote:

[...]

I think we need a Constitutional amendment to the effect that if
Congress is going to ban something they have to first come up with an
equally effective alternative that doesn't come at ridiculous cost. Or
just remove their power to ban anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dusty wrote:

[...]

Or just get California to quit doing it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Getting California to do something sane? Are you nuts? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Nah the glass is half empty on that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dusty wrote:

[...]

While $25 a quart for General Finishes outdoor oil is high it is
probably available in gallon and five gallon buckets. These type
products tend to only double in price with each next increment. A
gallon would probably be closer to $50 than $100.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Finis...es+outdoor+oil
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, 20 September 2006 22:47:12 UTC+1, Shopdog wrote:
I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

I have recently re-ordered Thompson Water seal and was surprised to find that product is very different to what I had before. As I am seeking to protect timber for a listed (protected) building, I have carried out a comparative water penetration test with a strip that I had treated with the old product. The result was dramatic, the previously treated wood shed water without any penetration whilst the new product showed insignificant improvement to untreated wood. I will not use this new product as it simply does not seal the wooden surfaces and offers no added rainwater protection
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 11:39:48 AM UTC-7, J. Clarke wrote:

I think we need a Constitutional amendment to the effect that if
Congress is going to ban something they have to first come up with an
equally effective alternative that doesn't come at ridiculous cost. Or
just remove their power to ban anything.

Oh, you're so YOUNG. The black fog in London (1952) killed somewhere
from 4000 to 12000 people in a week. Coal heat did it, and coal heat was
banned (or very limited).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

There hasn't been a similar event in decades, because... there's a good
reason for such bans. You're alive; enjoy the ban.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:37:29 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 11:39:48 AM UTC-7, J. Clarke wrote:

I think we need a Constitutional amendment to the effect that if
Congress is going to ban something they have to first come up with an
equally effective alternative that doesn't come at ridiculous cost. Or
just remove their power to ban anything.

Oh, you're so YOUNG. The black fog in London (1952) killed somewhere
from 4000 to 12000 people in a week. Coal heat did it, and coal heat was
banned (or very limited).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

There hasn't been a similar event in decades, because... there's a good
reason for such bans. You're alive; enjoy the ban.

Way to drag up a three year old post.

So what did people do for heat in London after coal was banned? And
how long did it take to implement and what was the cost? And how many
people froze to death in the interim?

And I do not now and never have lived in London, so my being alive or
otherwise has no relationship to such a ban.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 4:47:12 PM UTC-5, Shopdog wrote:
I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

When we were in the London area in the mid 60's, the wife had a nice light blue suit. IF she wore to London, when she got home, she would turn down the cuffs on her jacket and you could tell the difference. One trip in and then clean the suit. The Brits were still burning coal when we left in 67, but were converting to electricity. But a lot of the power plants burned coal, though they were bringing nuclear online.
Posted to rec.woodworking

They change the formula remove the petroleum bass.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-336849-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Every civil war reenactor has used the original Thompson water seal on every one of their A-frame tents and tent flies. The new stuff is garbage!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-336849-.htm