DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dial indicators are expensive (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/176597-dial-indicators-expensive.html)

stryped September 20th 06 07:45 PM

Dial indicators are expensive

Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

Frank Arthur September 20th 06 08:22 PM

Dial indicators are expensive

You can buy a Dial Indicator and Magnetic Base for much less than you
said. Try Ebay.

ps.com...

[email protected] September 20th 06 08:53 PM

Dial indicators are expensive

I think I bought a dial indicator a few years ago from Harbor Freight
for just a few dollars. And it's not a cheap piece of plastic.

Mike

tom September 20th 06 09:22 PM

Dial indicators are expensive

Make your own magnetic gauges. It's easy. Tom

Doug Miller September 20th 06 09:25 PM

In article om, "stryped" wrote:
Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

You've already been given a link to one site that offers a dial indicator for
only 2/3 that much. I assure you that there are others even cheaper, if you
only take the trouble to look.

--
Regards,

boorite September 20th 06 09:40 PM

stryped wrote:
Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

Grampa never needed no stinkin' dial indicator with no magnetic holder.

Straightedge and a set of feeler gauges. The latter item is $5 from the
Grizz.

Dave Jackson September 20th 06 10:10 PM

Dial indicators are expensive

I use one of these to set the knives in mine:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=908 works like a charm. --dave

"boorite" wrote in message
ups.com...

R. Pierce Butler September 20th 06 11:14 PM

Dial indicators are expensive

"stryped" wrote in news:1158777940.624921.68320
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

jlindustrial.com has a dial indicator and base for $19.00

Stock # AUMB1-15050C

tdup2 September 22nd 06 12:15 AM

Dial indicators are expensive

I just use a good level and set it on the outfeed table. The knives are
rigtht when they just touch the top of the level.

ps.com...

Jim Behning September 22nd 06 01:10 AM

Dial indicators are expensive

My wood sticks get pulled just a little bit from the outfeed table. I
get a pretty good cut when set up as the manual recommends. I guess
that is similar to your use a level recomendation.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:15:36 -0400, "tdup2"
wrote:

I just use a good level and set it on the outfeed table. The knives are
rigtht when they just touch the top of the level.

ups.com...