DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What type of Polyurethane for covering kitchen butcher block counter? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/176438-what-type-polyurethane-covering-kitchen-butcher-block-counter.html)

blueman September 19th 06 03:17 PM

What type of Polyurethane for covering kitchen butcher block counter?

I intend to resurface our kitchen butcher block counter.

Since we don't tend to use it for direct food preparation or chopping,
I am leaning towards polyurethaning it rather than coating it with oil
or beeswax. My thinking is that since I won't be chopping on it,
polyurethane will lead to a longer lasting surface without the need
for regular recoating.

Question is what type of polyurethane?
- Oil vs. Water based
- Interior vs. Exterior (spar urethane)
- Satin vs. Semigloss vs. Gloss
- Any brand recommendations?

I am looking for a surface that is the most durable and will show the
least wear-and-tear while still being safe for food surfaces.

boorite September 19th 06 06:19 PM

blueman wrote:
I intend to resurface our kitchen butcher block counter.

Since we don't tend to use it for direct food preparation or chopping,
I am leaning towards polyurethaning it rather than coating it with oil
or beeswax. My thinking is that since I won't be chopping on it,
polyurethane will lead to a longer lasting surface without the need
for regular recoating.

I am looking for a surface that is the most durable and will show the
least wear-and-tear while still being safe for food surfaces.

The toughest thing I've seen used on this kind of surface is a two-part
epoxy coating that you pour on. Don't know if it would suit you, but
it's like encasing the whole countertop in Lucite. Talk about durable.

If not, then I'd go for an acrylic lacquer or catalyzed lacquer. Very
tough.

blueman September 19th 06 08:23 PM

writes:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:17:41 GMT, blueman wrote:

I intend to resurface our kitchen butcher block counter.

Since we don't tend to use it for direct food preparation or chopping,
I am leaning towards polyurethaning it rather than coating it with oil
or beeswax. My thinking is that since I won't be chopping on it,
polyurethane will lead to a longer lasting surface without the need
for regular recoating.

Question is what type of polyurethane?
- Oil vs. Water based
- Interior vs. Exterior (spar urethane)
- Satin vs. Semigloss vs. Gloss
- Any brand recommendations?

I am looking for a surface that is the most durable and will show the
least wear-and-tear while still being safe for food surfaces.

I used semi-gloss MinWax thinned 50:50 and shot on with a cup gun. I
did lots of coats with light sanding between and it came out very
well. They are bullet proof, nothing seems to hurt them.
Just don't get in a hurry. Let each coat dry and work on a clean
place.

What are the benefits of 50:50 dilution sprayed with cup gun vs. using
unthinned either brushing on or using lambskin applicator?

[email protected] September 20th 06 03:12 AM

blueman wrote:

What are the benefits of 50:50 dilution sprayed with cup gun vs. using
unthinned either brushing on or using lambskin applicator?

Consistency in coating thickness if you are used to spraying. Smoother
texture, and best of all NO FIBERS when the applicator starts to come
apart.

Build coats will be smoother with spraying as you will not be building
on top of applicator strokes.

If you cannot spray, get yourself disposable short nap applicators.
These work very well inside. Make sure you orient the nap to pull the
finish rather than push it. Buy several and throw them away after each
coat. If you use these applicators thin your poly a little to help
application.

Robert