Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommend dovetail jig

Looking at dovetail jigs for full and half joints with regular and variable
spacing. Desire ease of setup, accuracy, and repeatability, with good
instructions.
Projects: arts and crafts case goods, drawers and the like using baltic
birch & hardwoods.
Any good comparison sites?
Recommendations?
Experiences?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the Leigh D4 and it is amazing. Based on your list of requirements,
the D4 fits the bill perfectly. You mention "good instructions". I've
never seen a better manual than the one that comes with the D4. I bought
mine about 6 years ago, so hopefully, the manual and D4 is still as good.
The only down-side is that it's pricey. You get what you pay for though...

"fireant" wrote in message
Looking at dovetail jigs for full and half joints with regular and
variable spacing. Desire ease of setup, accuracy, and repeatability, with
good instructions.
Projects: arts and crafts case goods, drawers and the like using baltic
birch & hardwoods.
Any good comparison sites?
Recommendations?
Experiences?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try here http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/dovetail_jig_compare.htm

I know that I saw another with an older gentleman and a lady working the
same shop. His reviews were more like articles. It gets a bit confusing
with all the detail which could make the link above more valuale in its
simplicity.

Another good router site http://www.patwarner.com/

"fireant" wrote in message
Looking at dovetail jigs for full and half joints with regular and
variable spacing. Desire ease of setup, accuracy, and repeatability, with
good instructions.
Projects: arts and crafts case goods, drawers and the like using baltic
birch & hardwoods.
Any good comparison sites?
Recommendations?
Experiences?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the D4 and the Incra fench system, and use both, depending on
the job. For what you say you're going to use it for, I recommend the
D4.

The Incra is more versatile, but has some drawbacks - the joints are
slightly hollow, for example, and the setup is picky wrt centering the
boards. The D4, however, makes fully solid joints, which are a bit
stronger, and the setup is a little more robust, especially if you're
doing more than one item in a batch (i.e. six drawers at a time).

OTOH, if you tend to work with smaller items (like, 1/4" stock), the
Incra is more usable in the small scale, easily supporting down to
1/8" thick stock. I use the Incra for smaller items where strength is
less critical (like small boxes or serving trays), and the D4 for
larger items or items needing more strength (like drawers).
Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Looking at dovetail jigs for full and half joints with regular and
variable spacing. Desire ease of setup, accuracy, and repeatability, with
good instructions.
Projects: arts and crafts case goods, drawers and the like using baltic
birch & hardwoods.
Any good comparison sites?
Recommendations?
Experiences?

D4 - Its the best for what you want. I have it - and others - 99% I use the
D4

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had a D4 for 5 years and even have some of the additional templates.

A good feature rarely mentioned is the customer service from leigh. I
once was having a problem. After talking to the people at leigh on
their 800 number I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong (a dull
brained momment). Another time my jig fell off the table bending some
parts. I called leigh and I had replacement parts in days.

"fireant" wrote in message

Looking at dovetail jigs for full and half joints with regular and
variable spacing. Desire ease of setup, accuracy, and repeatability, with
good instructions.
Projects: arts and crafts case goods, drawers and the like using baltic
birch & hardwoods.
Any good comparison sites?
Recommendations?
Experiences?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"fireant" wrote in message
Looking at dovetail jigs for full and half joints with regular and

variable
spacing. Desire ease of setup, accuracy, and repeatability, with good
instructions.

Let me add my ditto's to the din ... the Leigh D4, and any new iteration, is
the gold standard and hard to beat.

Leigh is one of those companies that the MBA's have yet to taint ... they
make a solid product, to exacting standards, and with caring customer
service.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"fireant" wrote in message

Looking at dovetail jigs for full and half joints with regular and

variable

spacing. Desire ease of setup, accuracy, and repeatability, with good
instructions.

Let me add my ditto's to the din ... the Leigh D4, and any new iteration, is
the gold standard and hard to beat.

Leigh is one of those companies that the MBA's have yet to taint ... they
make a solid product, to exacting standards, and with caring customer
service.

As the others have said get the Leigh. If you want to do long dovetails
get the D4. I have the D1600 and love it. Once you get the hang of it,
it's a snap to do dovetails. Inlayed dovetails are also easy with it.