Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic- computer access

Hey All,
I finally determined why I could not see recdotwoodworking from home
all of the time via Google. (And this also applies to a lot of
woodworking websites and Craig's list). On my Norton Internet Security
I turned off Intrusion Protection and it allowed me to access all of
the affected sites. Once turned on again, these sites are difficult to
see. The Int. Prot. disable feature can be set for a finite time or
off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting
an error message.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
I finally determined why I could not see recdotwoodworking from home
all of the time via Google. (And this also applies to a lot of
woodworking websites and Craig's list). On my Norton Internet Security
I turned off Intrusion Protection and it allowed me to access all of
the affected sites. Once turned on again, these sites are difficult to
see. The Int. Prot. disable feature can be set for a finite time or
off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting
an error message.
Marc

That's good information. Let's hope the people who are experiencing
difficulty in accessing this forum can access it to find this solution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
Hey All,

off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting
an error message.

On that same note, these damn "protections", and automatic updates that
change things, are getting increasingly aggravating.

Who'd a thunk the good old days of windows computerdom, when you only had to
reboot twenty times a day, would now seem so long ago, and be looked upon so
fondly?

So much for the "P" in PC ... your computer now belongs to the software and
OS purveyors and they just let you use it when they're not busy doing
something in their own interests with it.

Every damn piece of software, from the browser to the OS, now has its own,
built-in "update" which merrily updates while basically telling you to go to
hell. Microsoft Update alone did the six servers here TWICE this week!
You're damned if you don't turn on automatic updates, and damned if you do.

Bad enough if you're connected all the time ... I can only imagine the race
to update first if you only log on occasionally.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey All,
I finally determined why I could not see recdotwoodworking from home
all of the time via Google. (And this also applies to a lot of
woodworking websites and Craig's list). On my Norton Internet Security
I turned off Intrusion Protection and it allowed me to access all of
the affected sites. Once turned on again, these sites are difficult to
see. The Int. Prot. disable feature can be set for a finite time or
off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting
an error message.

Marc

Can Norton, seems to be poor. Look at AVG

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey All,
I finally determined why I could not see recdotwoodworking from home
all of the time via Google. (And this also applies to a lot of
woodworking websites and Craig's list). On my Norton Internet Security
I turned off Intrusion Protection and it allowed me to access all of
the affected sites. Once turned on again, these sites are difficult to
see. The Int. Prot. disable feature can be set for a finite time or
off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting
an error message.

Marc

Can Norton, seems to be poor. Look at AVG

Go to Symantec's web site and get the instructions for eliminating NAV for
the version you have. Norton is well known for being hard to uninstall...

Almost any AV product (except McAfee) has a better detection rate than
Norton. You also need a firewall, and I use the free version of ZoneAlarm.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
S S is offline

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
I finally determined why I could not see recdotwoodworking from home
all of the time via Google. (And this also applies to a lot of
woodworking websites and Craig's list). On my Norton Internet Security
I turned off Intrusion Protection and it allowed me to access all of
the affected sites. Once turned on again, these sites are difficult to
see. The Int. Prot. disable feature can be set for a finite time or
off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting
an error message.
Marc

If your ISP has a real news server (NNTP), go get a proper news reader
(such as Thunderbird) and use that.

- S
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:

On that same note, these damn "protections", and automatic updates
that change things, are getting increasingly aggravating.

The computer's not so bad most the time. USUALLY you don't lose
functionality as a result of an upgrade and if you know what you're doing
you can remove one or another.

Our Satellite system has to "download program guide" updates twice a
week, but it does more than that. They added the TV Guide logo some time
ago to their channel guide, and guess when that happpened... Haven't
lost reciever functionality yet, but that's because it's just the minimum
needed to work easily.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim" wrote in
:

Go to Symantec's web site and get the instructions for eliminating NAV
for the version you have. Norton is well known for being hard to
uninstall...

Almost any AV product (except McAfee) has a better detection rate than
Norton. You also need a firewall, and I use the free version of
ZoneAlarm.

Jim

I've got a universal NAV install program. It came with my computer, and
is called "format." It removes NAV, every Symantec product on the
system, and then some. It leaves your computer in a very safe state, and
solves problems of viruses and spyware.

(For those who don't know, format erases the data on the drive.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message

Our Satellite system has to "download program guide" updates twice a
week, but it does more than that. They added the TV Guide logo some time
ago to their channel guide, and guess when that happpened... Haven't
lost reciever functionality yet, but that's because it's just the minimum
needed to work easily.

Just got my parents up on satellite "broadband" last week (Huhgesnet) and
was real disappointed in the speed, not much better than dialup. We put a
LinkSys broadband wireless router in the system and I think the installation
guy may have configured it wrong (he didn't use the LinkSys software and has
the connection bridged), but I didn't have time to troubleshoot it before I
had to leave, except to note how slow it seemed.

I was sure expecting better performance for the price, but the folks seem
fine with it so far.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:43:44 -0600, Swingman wrote
(in article ) :

[...]

Satellite suffers from the geosynchronous latency of several seconds. Usually
not a big thing but try running an ssh session to see what frustration really
is!

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Guys,
Other than that minor glitch with Intruder Prevention I am very pleased
with my Norton Anti Virus program. It appears to work well for the
browsing I do. I'm sure there are better protection programs out ther
but this performs well and now that I've discovered its limitation for
woodworking sites (why it bogs down there I'll never know) I can
disable it when the need arrives. But thanks just the same for your
suggestions.
On a different thread, too bad Keith Carlson did not get that Unisaw
for $100.

Marc

Richard Clements wrote:
and once this is done it's easy to install a real OS, Linux, BSD, etc
Puckdropper wrote:
"Jim" wrote in
:

Go to Symantec's web site and get the instructions for eliminating NAV
for the version you have. Norton is well known for being hard to
uninstall...

Almost any AV product (except McAfee) has a better detection rate than
Norton. You also need a firewall, and I use the free version of
ZoneAlarm.

Jim

I've got a universal NAV install program. It came with my computer, and
is called "format." It removes NAV, every Symantec product on the
system, and then some. It leaves your computer in a very safe state, and
solves problems of viruses and spyware.

(For those who don't know, format erases the data on the drive.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
I finally determined why I could not see recdotwoodworking from home
all of the time via Google. (And this also applies to a lot of
woodworking websites and Craig's list). On my Norton Internet Security
I turned off Intrusion Protection and it allowed me to access all of
the affected sites. Once turned on again, these sites are difficult to
see. The Int. Prot. disable feature can be set for a finite time or
off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting
an error message.
Marc

Mark,

I'd like to add this one:

use www.readfreenews.net with any newsreader.. This is for reading the
"wreck" only..

If you want to post, use Google Groups or find an isp with a news
server service. (Getting smaller and smaller ever day.)

Jeremy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
marc rosen wrote:

Mark,

I'd like to add this one:

use
www.readfreenews.net with any newsreader.. This is for reading
the
"wreck" only..

Better yet, for me anyway, is http://www.news.astraweb.com/signup.html
You can sign up for 25 GB for $10, 90 GB for $25 or 280 GB for $100
and there is no expiration and no set amount of usage and no usage
charged for viewing headers - only what you down & up load. I bought
the $10 package as a backup 6 months ago and am not down but 20 MB so
far.

Tom J

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce writes:

Satellite suffers from the geosynchronous latency of several
seconds. Usually not a big thing but try running an ssh session to
see what frustration really is!

It's actually about 500 milliseconds for a single packet going one
way. But with the TCP connections, and the handshakes, it takes about
2 seconds for a new connection to complete and the file download to
ramp up to full speed.

I have not tried ssh over a sat link. Yeah - I bet it sucks royally.
Some browsers can be tuned to allow more simultaneous connections.
That might help.