DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Epoxy for filling holes? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/175715-epoxy-filling-holes.html)

[email protected] September 12th 06 06:29 PM

Epoxy for filling holes?

Hi,

I had recently gotten advice for filling screw holes on the body of a
piano (the non-musical port of the intrument) with epoxy, but I'm yet
to figure out what type of epoxy. Epoxy that I have found at HD is a
type of glue that you mix prior to application. Is that the stuff I'm
looking for?

Also, someone recommended to mix it with saw dust to make it less
brittle or for some other good reason. Is poplar a good wood for that
(I happen to have some of that stuff now.)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Michael Daly September 12th 06 08:13 PM

Epoxy for filling holes?

wrote:

Epoxy that I have found at HD is a
type of glue that you mix prior to application. Is that the stuff I'm
looking for?

All epoxies are two-part and most are mixed just before use. The exceptions are
the epoxies that cure by heat or UV light and can be premixed. You won't likely
find the latter in a retail store.

The stuff at HD is likely 5-minute epoxy or similar and tends to be cheap.
Getting small amounts of good quality epoxy is hard. One possible option is to
buy a West System's repair kit (about US$12) that comes with a couple of ounces
of epoxy, some fiberglass and some silica gel (Cabosil). They also (used to?)
sell a kit with several small packets of epoxy and nothing else - small foil
packets like the ketchup containers in fast food joints.

If this is a fancy, expensive piano and you want a really quality repair, the
better epoxy is worth it. If not, the HD stuff may suffice.

Also, someone recommended to mix it with saw dust to make it less
brittle or for some other good reason.

Epoxy will have the consistency of warm honey. Add some sawdust and it will be
more like a paste and can be easier to work with. Wood flour is better than
coarse sawdust. You should drill the epoxy before driving the screws - don't
assume it will expand and let the screw in.

Mike

Dave Jackson September 13th 06 01:01 AM

Epoxy for filling holes?

I'd just use a countersink to make the holes the right size to match a
corresponding plug cutter and plug the holes with wood. --dave

oups.com...

[email protected] September 13th 06 03:49 AM

Epoxy for filling holes?

spake thusly and wrote:

I had recently gotten advice for filling screw holes on the body of a
piano (the non-musical port of the intrument) with epoxy

I would talk to a piano tuner fixer person before doing anything
like that. Yours is more of a musical instrument question
than a "wood" question.

Steve
--
www.sellcom.com for firewood splitters, ergonomic chairs,
office phone systems, "non-mov" surge protection, Exabyte,

[email protected] September 17th 06 04:50 AM

Epoxy for filling holes?

Hi,

I have tried what I described above (on a scrap piece) and completely
failed. Perhaps I tried the wrong type of epoxy. Epoxy is a glue,
right? I used the type that comes in a double tube with a double
"pistion". Bascially, when mixed with poplar sawdust, it never
solidified. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

CW September 17th 06 04:59 AM

Epoxy for filling holes?

You must have gotten a bad batch, though I never seen that happen. Try again
with a different batch. BTW, people here have told you that, to get high
quality epoxy, you have to buy large quantities of industrial stuff. Not
true. Go to a good hobby shop. There is a brand of epoxy called Hobypoxy.
Very good and in reasonable quantities. The type you got should have worked
fine though. Must have been something wrong with it. Make sure you mix the
epoxy first then add the sawdust.

[email protected] September 17th 06 07:10 PM

Epoxy for filling holes?

spake thusly and wrote:

Hi,

I have tried what I described above (on a scrap piece) and completely
failed. Perhaps I tried the wrong type of epoxy. Epoxy is a glue,
right? I used the type that comes in a double tube with a double
"pistion". Bascially, when mixed with poplar sawdust, it never
solidified. What could I be doing wrong?

I believe they make products especially for that like "plastic
wood" and there are others that mix like epoxy but are specific
wood filler. They are not dirt cheap but your time is worth
something.

Steve