Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shelf pins for bookcase with long span/heavy load

I'm building a bookcase with adjustable shelves with a 46" span that
will likely carry some heavy books.

To cover the load, I am making the shelves 1.5" thick (double 3/4"
plywood).

I now want to make sure that the shelf pin setup I am using is as
strong as possible.

- Can I assume that all other things being equal, 1/4" pins will support
a heavier load than 5mm pins (since the diameter is larger)?

- Will using a "sleeve" in the shelf pin hole add strength and prevent
tearout from too heavy a load?

- Would adding a third parallel column of pins on each side support
*materially* improve the strength?

- Any other suggestions to maximize strength of a shelf pin setup?
(note: I would prefer not to add any intermediate supports)

- Finally, any feedback on the Rockler Shelving Jig? (it seems to do
the job, comes with self-centering bits, and is affordable)

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
[...]

Why don't you use the standard metal shelf support
rails (the ones with slots that use metal V
support clips) that are dadoed into the shelf
sides sides?

Sure 1/4" will support a heavier load than 5mm.
1/4" is about 6.4 mm. But you are talking about
shear strength. I can't imagine how much weight a
shelf would need to shear off four 1/4" pins
(dowels). Probably more than one could put on a
shelf using 12" high books.

No, don't use any kind of sleeve. just make sure
the pins are snug in holes that are accurately at
right angles to the shelf side and are drilled to
a depth of 1/2" and the pins extend about 1/4"
from the surface.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

No, don't use any kind of sleeve. just make sure
the pins are snug in holes that are accurately at
right angles to the shelf side and are drilled to
a depth of 1/2" and the pins extend about 1/4"
from the surface.

Can I ask why you don't recommend the use of sleeves George? I've always
used sleeves, both for added strength and neatness of appearance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George E. Cawthon" writes:
Why don't you use the standard metal shelf support rails (the ones
with slots that use metal V support clips) that are dadoed into the
shelf sides sides?

I personally don't like the rails because they are more obtrusive.

Sure 1/4" will support a heavier load than 5mm. 1/4" is about 6.4 mm.
But you are talking about shear strength. I can't imagine how much
weight a shelf would need to shear off four 1/4" pins (dowels).
Probably more than one could put on a shelf using 12" high books.

Sounds like I will be OK with the 1/4" pins (though I have some sets
of books that as big as 14"x12"_

My question was not so much about breaking the pins (which I imagine
would be hard to do) as about tearing out the hole.
What I really wanted to know is whether the 1/4" pin system is
significantly stronger than the 5mm system to justify the bigger and
more obtrusive 1/4" holes.

No, don't use any kind of sleeve. just make sure the pins are snug in
holes that are accurately at right angles to the shelf side and are
drilled to a depth of 1/2" and the pins extend about 1/4" from the
surface.

Do the sleeves add no strength advantages then?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

My question was not so much about breaking the pins (which I imagine
would be hard to do) as about tearing out the hole.
What I really wanted to know is whether the**1/4"*pin*system*is
significantly stronger than the 5mm system to justify the bigger and
more obtrusive 1/4" holes.

I have torn out the 1/4" holes in plywood sides, but solid wood should be more
resistant. I don't know which you're using.

BTW, my shelves were only 30". I tore out the pins by bracing myself on the
shelf to get up from kneeling. I'm guessing that was only about 50 pounds of
pressure on the shelf, but it was localized to a handspan near the pin.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would consider maybe more support on the back sides
of the shelves. Maybe a small cleat placed a foot or
so apart the length of the shelf. You could use a small
profile on the cleat and it will not be noticed.

I also think 46" is really pushing the limits on a
case width.

blueman wrote:

I'm building a bookcase with adjustable shelves with a 46" span that
will likely carry some heavy books.

To cover the load, I am making the shelves 1.5" thick (double 3/4"
plywood).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
I'm building a bookcase with adjustable shelves with a 46" span that
will likely carry some heavy books.

That's pretty big span

To cover the load, I am making the shelves 1.5" thick (double 3/4"
plywood).

Plywood is not the most deflection-resiting material as half of the plys are
going the wrong way to help. Solid wood will perform better. If I were you I
would try it out an see how much deflection wou get applying hand pressure
to the center of a test-shelf.

I now want to make sure that the shelf pin setup I am using is as
strong as possible.

- Can I assume that all other things being equal, 1/4" pins will support
a heavier load than 5mm pins (since the diameter is larger)?

I think that is a fair assumption

- Will using a "sleeve" in the shelf pin hole add strength and prevent
tearout from too heavy a load?

Yes it would resiste the tendency for the hole to deform

- Would adding a third parallel column of pins on each side support
*materially* improve the strength?

By 50%.... 3 pins carying the weigh previously carried by 2.

- Any other suggestions to maximize strength of a shelf pin setup?
(note: I would prefer not to add any intermediate supports)

You may not need to take any of these measures. The pins are not going to
sheer off. Try a test to see how much weight it takes to significantly
deform a hole. Just mock up something with a single pin in the proposed
material and put most of your weight on it. I bet it will hold up pretty
well.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard writes:
blueman wrote:

My question was not so much about breaking the pins (which I imagine
would be hard to do) as about tearing out the hole.
What I really wanted to know is whether the**1/4"*pin*system*is
significantly stronger than the 5mm system to justify the bigger and
more obtrusive 1/4" holes.

I have torn out the 1/4" holes in plywood sides, but solid wood should be more
resistant. I don't know which you're using.

BTW, my shelves were only 30". I tore out the pins by bracing myself on the
shelf to get up from kneeling. I'm guessing that was only about 50 pounds of
pressure on the shelf, but it was localized to a handspan near the pin.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Hmmmm... that's not too encouraging.
For the sides, I am also using double 3/4" plywood which is why I was
enquiring about sleeves. My thinking being that sleeves would better
distribute the force and prevent tearout.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:39:16 GMT, blueman wrote:

I'm building a bookcase with adjustable shelves with a 46" span that
will likely carry some heavy books.

- Can I assume that all other things being equal, 1/4" pins will support
a heavier load than 5mm pins (since the diameter is larger)?

Assume the pins are cheap grade 2 steel. That gives a shear strength
in excess of 200 lbs. Using 4 pins per shelf gives a shear load in
excess of 800 lbs. Putting an extra pin at the back centre of the
shelf helps keep the sag to a minimum. The pins will not fail.

- Will using a "sleeve" in the shelf pin hole add strength and prevent
tearout from too heavy a load?

A sleeve is a beautiful finish to any blank holes (adjustable shelves,
right? They also help support (if that's the right word) the hole and
keep it from deforming. The part that fails is the wood. It gets
possible tear out when load is applied.

- Would adding a third parallel column of pins on each side support
*materially* improve the strength?

The 3rd row should be in the back centre. They stay out of the way
and are good looking with the sleeves.

- Finally, any feedback on the Rockler Shelving Jig? (it seems to do
the job, comes with self-centering bits, and is affordable)

Can't help on the Rockler jig. I use strips of peg board - the ones
with holes 2" OC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stephen M" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
I'm building a bookcase with adjustable shelves with a 46" span that
will likely carry some heavy books.

That's pretty big span

To cover the load, I am making the shelves 1.5" thick (double 3/4"
plywood).

Plywood is not the most deflection-resiting material as half of the plys are
going the wrong way to help. Solid wood will perform better. If I were you I
would try it out an see how much deflection wou get applying hand pressure
to the center of a test-shelf.

Well, I plugged my dimensions into the "Shelf Sag Calculator"
(www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm) using the following parameters:
Species: Plywood, fir (only plywood choice)
Weight Load: 200lb, uniform load
Note: this seems generous given that per the note, they
claim that a fully loaded bookshelf weighs 20-25lb/foot.
Which for me would have given a maximum of 96lbs.
Width: 46"
Depth: 12"
Thickness: 1.5"

The resulting maximum deflection was 0.06" which is about
1/16". Again, according to the notes, the eye can recognize a
deflection of 1/32" per running foot, which would translate into 0.12"
in my case of a 46" span, again well within my tolerances.

For comparison, a "standard" 36" wide Eastern White Pine bookcase with
8" depth shelves under a load of just 25lb/foot would give a
deflection of 0.13" or more than TWICE as much as my design.

ALSO, I am going to be giving each shelf a front edge facing of
1.5x0.75" poplar which should add strength, I imagine.

Assuming that all my calculations above are correct, I am now most
worried about shelf-pin tearout which is why I was thinking that the
wider pin (1/4" vs. 5mm) and the sleeves might help

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman"
[...]

I have found that 90% of the time, one a shelf is installed, people rarely
move it. And if they do, its only a little bit to accommodate a taller
object.
With that, I would only have a few adjustment holes in the general area
where the shelf is likely to be.

For very heavy load and thick shelves, I would use a 3/8" pin, set deep in
the side. To hid the heavy pin, I use a forstner bit and drill a 3/8 hole
in the side of the shelf and chisel out a notch in one side for installation
and removal. This hides the pin completely when in place.

As for the larger holes in the case, I cut 3/8 plugs and insert them in the
holes aligning the grain. If the ever need to be removed, I drill a small
hole in the end, insert a screw and pull them out for use in the now exposed
hole.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message

I guess, if possible, I would prefer to avoid a back column of holes
since it will be visible (even though pretty perhaps with the
sleeves). The holes on the sides will be less visible due to a
combination of the angle and the fact that the face frame will overlap
the sides by about 1/2" or so.

Sleeves will definitely add tear out prevention strength to your shelves and
are pretty cheap. I'd buy a small package of sleeves and use several to make
a mock up side to see if they're visually appealing enough to you.

When it comes to installing them, instead of hammering them in place, I've
found that you can make a neater installation by using a sleeve setting
punch and a clamp to press them into place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message

I guess, if possible, I would prefer to avoid a back column of holes
since it will be visible (even though pretty perhaps with the
sleeves). The holes on the sides will be less visible due to a
combination of the angle and the fact that the face frame will overlap
the sides by about 1/2" or so.

Sleeves will definitely add tear out prevention strength to your shelves and
are pretty cheap. I'd buy a small package of sleeves and use several to make
a mock up side to see if they're visually appealing enough to you.

When it comes to installing them, instead of hammering them in place, I've
found that you can make a neater installation by using a sleeve setting
punch and a clamp to press them into place.

Do you use glue to secure the sleeves or just assume a tight fit?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message

Do you use glue to secure the sleeves or just assume a tight fit?

Tight fit only. In over 20 years of using sleeves in plywood, softwood and
hardwood, I've never had a sleeve come out or even noticed one start to come
out. The pressure is sufficient to hold them. Also too, if I'm going to
paint or stain or finish in any way, I do all that first with the sleeves
being one of the last parts of the construction process. Even with slight
splinters caused by drilling the holes for the sleeves, the outer, wider
edge of a sleeve finishes off a hole very nicely if it is pressed hard
enough into the hole to make it flush with the surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" writes:
[...]

I suggest you make a simple test shelf. The shelf
only has to be 3-4 inches high. Use the same
thickness of materials sides, pins, and shelf that
you want to test. The construction can be very
simple just two uprights braced and nailed so
they won't spread out. Knock it together then
have one person stand in the middle of the shelf
(150-200 pounds), then try two people near each
end (300-400 pounds). If the pins break you only
fall 3-4 inches.

Please note that you want the shelves to fit
between the uprights with as little extra space as
possible, just enough so that you can move the
shelves.

BTW, if you keep books on the shelves, you will
never see those metal rails, and even if you don't
they won't be obtrusive if you paint them the same
color as the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
Larry Blanchard writes:
blueman wrote:

[...]

You should have said the sides would be plywood!
Sleeves would have to be metal at least an inch
long which would be a pita.

Forget the pins and move to a different system if
you stay with plywood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

The resulting maximum deflection was 0.06" which is about
1/16". Again, according to the notes, the eye can recognize a
deflection of 1/32" per running foot, which would translate into 0.12"
in my case of a 46" span, again well within my tolerances.

Huh? If .06 is 1/16, 1/32 should be .03. - .12 would be 1/8
(actually .125=1/8).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard writes:
blueman wrote:

The resulting maximum deflection was 0.06" which is about
1/16". Again, according to the notes, the eye can recognize a
deflection of 1/32" per running foot, which would translate into 0.12"
in my case of a 46" span, again well within my tolerances.

Huh? If .06 is 1/16, 1/32 should be .03. - .12 would be 1/8
(actually .125=1/8).

Deflection is .06" over 46" while eye can recognize 1/32" per RUNNING
FOOT, which would translate into about 0.12 (or 1/8") over the 46" length.
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

Larry Blanchard writes:
blueman wrote:

The resulting maximum deflection was 0.06" which is about
1/16". Again, according to the notes, the eye can recognize a
deflection of 1/32" per running foot, which would translate into 0.12"
in my case of a 46" span, again well within my tolerances.

Huh? If .06 is 1/16, 1/32 should be .03. - .12 would be 1/8
(actually .125=1/8).

Deflection is .06" over 46" while eye can recognize 1/32" per RUNNING
FOOT, which would translate into about 0.12 (or 1/8") over the 46" length.

Ah, so! My goof!

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George E. Cawthon" writes:
You should have said the sides would be plywood!
Sleeves would have to be metal at least an inch long which would be a
pita.

Forget the pins and move to a different system if you stay with
plywood.

Per your excellent suggestion in another post, I do plan to do a test.

However, how much would I gain in moving from say plywood sides to
poplar sides? Would the resistance to pin tearout be significant
enough to justify the significant premium for 1x12" poplar?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"George E. Cawthon" writes:
You should have said the sides would be plywood!
Sleeves would have to be metal at least an inch long which would be a
pita.

Forget the pins and move to a different system if you stay with
plywood.

More generally, what type of wood would you recommend for the sides
that would give good shear strength for the pins at an affordable
price?
I assume that I only would need the hardwood for the hole tearout so
that 3/4" stock would be sufficienct since I could get additional
stiffness by backing up the hardwood with a parallel piece of plywood
side.

I am going to be painting the wood so I just need a wood that takes
paint well. Also, I assume that since I am painting, it still makes
sense to use 1.5" of doubled up plywood for the shelves (with poplar
facing) and for other elements other than the sides holding the pins
and the face frames.
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" writes:
[...]

Almost any solid wood would do since you are going
to paint it. Stay away from the very softest
woods such as western redwood and cedar which you
wouldn't normally consider. I've used ponderosa
pine with no problems and that is probably as soft
as any available to you. Any hardwood, including
softer varieties such as Philippine mahogany would
be fine but if you paint you probably want a tight
grain. Personally, I would use solid wood of 1.5"
thickness for the shelves. An alternative is to
face (back and front) a 3/4" thick board with 3/4"
x 1.5" or 2" strips (wide measurement would be
vertical). The latter would provide about as much
stiffness at the former and would essentially hide
the pins.

I'm not a fan of painting book shelves. Just be
sure that you use a paint that hardens well and
has a high blocking rating (low blocking would
mean that books will stick to the shelf).
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" writes:
You should have said the sides would be plywood!
Sleeves would have to be metal at least an inch long which would be a
pita.

Forget the pins and move to a different system if you stay with
plywood.

Per your excellent suggestion in another post, I do plan to do a test.

However, how much would I gain in moving from say plywood sides to
poplar sides? Would the resistance to pin tearout be significant
enough to justify the significant premium for 1x12" poplar?

I would also do the test with a small piece of
good plywood. A 9 ply plywood ?might? survive you
test

In my opinion you would gain a lot with solid
wood. OTOH, I don't much like poplar. But....
depends on prices of different woods where you
live. In choosing boards that are relatively
clear and straight, the difference in prices of
cheaper and more expensive woods is often slight.
Where I live poplar is not much cheaper that
much better woods. Again, though, in my opinion,
it would be criminal to put paint on oak, maple,
cherry, mahogany, etc, so poplar would probably be
a good choice. Check the prices where you are at
a real lumber store, you might be surprised at
what you can get.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"George E. Cawthon" writes:
blueman wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" writes:
[...]

Just did the test today.
So far, I put my own weight (~200lbs) on the middle and then on each
of the ends and did some light bouncing without any tearout. I will
add more weight (i.e. more people) later.

I built the test stand with off-the-shelf Home Depot 3/4" birch
plywood but expect to use higher quality stuff for the real bookcase.

Also, I was thinking that I could further reinforce the holes by
"painting" the holes first with a low viscosity epoxy (the type that
is used as a wood hardener) and then inserting the pins. This should
hopefully have the dual effect of hardening the wood surrounding the
hole and also anchoring the sleeve to the hole so that it spreads the
transferred weight more broadly to the surrounding wood.

Does the above sound like a good idea?

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
I'm building a bookcase with adjustable shelves with a 46" span ...
I am making the shelves 1.5" thick (double 3/4" plywood).

- Can I assume that all other things being equal, 1/4" pins will support
a heavier load than 5mm pins (since the diameter is larger)?

Some points haven't been covered by other replies; first, in terms of
stiffness, your
double 3/4" plywood has the same stiffness as double 1/4" plywood with
a center
space (glued lightweight ribs or hardwood at the pin-stress points) of
about 1.25 inch.
Overall height of the sandwich is then 1.75 i nch... but there's a
lot less shelf
weight and cost.

Also, the pins are stressed downward at the face of the upright, BUT
they tilt slightly
and the pins actually press upward at their deepest point, so your load
is carried on the
surface area of (roughly) the width of the pin times half its depth in
the upright. That is
why a pressed-in collar is such a good idea (the area of the collar is
larger, and if the
tilt of the pin doesn't deform the collar, the useful area is doubled
by comparison).

For heavy timbers, where stresses are near the material limits, pins
aren't used;
instead one makes a circular cut and presses a ring (like a pipe
section) into it. The shelf
depth would tolerate 3/4" pipe sections instead of little pins, and
with suitable (hardwood)
trim at the composite plywood endcaps, Forstner drill/routing a recess
to hide the pin
would be easy enough.

I've always hated high-stress points, like metal pins in wood, because
age, accidents,
and changes in moisture can crush the wood so easily. Even if it
doesn't fail soon
enough to catch in a test, it WILL fail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message

Also, I was thinking that I could further reinforce the holes by
"painting" the holes first with a low viscosity epoxy (the type that
is used as a wood hardener) and then inserting the pins. This should
hopefully have the dual effect of hardening the wood surrounding the
hole and also anchoring the sleeve to the hole so that it spreads the
transferred weight more broadly to the surrounding wood.

Does the above sound like a good idea?

I haven't been following the bulk of this thread where you've indicated how
much weight you're going to be putting on these shelves, but to be honest,
what you're proposing sounds a little like overkill. If using pins with
sleeves still sounds like it's going to fail on you, then you're not using a
proper support system for the weight you have in mind.

melamine shelf deflection (long) loutent Woodworking 10 December 4th 04 04:00 AM
Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 09:07 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 04:39 AM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 01:02 PM