Posted to rec.woodworking

Default re-introduction

I used to be a regular on the rec. but have been teaching, writing
and woodworking too much lately to have the time to follow the group.
Consider this a drive-by. I have a new box book coming out with Taunton
in the spring called Basic Box Making and I hope you will watch for it
and enjoy it. I also have a new blog to promote hands-on educaton. It
is based on my experience teaching woodworking Pre-k through 12. If you
are interested in that sort of thing, please visit:

http://wisdomofhand.blogspot.com

Doug Stowe, director, Wisdom of the Hands at Clear Spring School
Contributing Editor: Woodwork, A Magazine for All Woodworkers
Fine furniture from American Hardwoods http://www.dougstowe.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Stowe wrote:
I used to be a regular on the rec. but have been teaching, writing
and woodworking too much lately to have the time to follow the group.
Consider this a drive-by. I have a new box book coming out with Taunton
in the spring called Basic Box Making and I hope you will watch for it
and enjoy it. I also have a new blog to promote hands-on educaton. It
is based on my experience teaching woodworking Pre-k through 12. If you
are interested in that sort of thing, please visit:

http://wisdomofhand.blogspot.com

Doug Stowe, director, Wisdom of the Hands at Clear Spring School
Contributing Editor: Woodwork, A Magazine for All Woodworkers
Fine furniture from American Hardwoods http://www.dougstowe.com

welcome back, Doug. don't be such a stranger.....
good luck with the book!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Sep 2006 20:05:35 -0700, "Doug Stowe" wrote:

I used to be a regular on the rec. but have been teaching, writing
and woodworking too much lately to have the time to follow the group.
Consider this a drive-by. I have a new box book coming out with Taunton
in the spring called Basic Box Making and I hope you will watch for it
and enjoy it. I also have a new blog to promote hands-on educaton. It
is based on my experience teaching woodworking Pre-k through 12. If you
are interested in that sort of thing, please visit:

http://wisdomofhand.blogspot.com

Doug Stowe, director, Wisdom of the Hands at Clear Spring School
Contributing Editor: Woodwork, A Magazine for All Woodworkers
Fine furniture from American Hardwoods http://www.dougstowe.com

Doug,

Good to hear from you. Sounds like things are going well down in
Arkansas. Will look forward to seeing the new book

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Stowe wrote:
I used to be a regular on the rec. but have been teaching, writing
and woodworking too much lately to have the time to follow the group.
Consider this a drive-by. I have a new box book coming out with Taunton
in the spring called Basic Box Making and I hope you will watch for it
and enjoy it. I also have a new blog to promote hands-on educaton. It
is based on my experience teaching woodworking Pre-k through 12. If you
are interested in that sort of thing, please visit:

http://wisdomofhand.blogspot.com

Doug Stowe, director, Wisdom of the Hands at Clear Spring School
Contributing Editor: Woodwork, A Magazine for All Woodworkers
Fine furniture from American Hardwoods http://www.dougstowe.com

went there and got this message:

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server. Please visit the Blogger
homepage or the Blogger Knowledge Base for further assistance.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

Glen wrote:
went there and got this message:

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server. Please visit the Blogger
homepage or the Blogger Knowledge Base for further assistance.

Glen

He misspelled the url, try http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I used to be a regular on the rec. but have been teaching, writing
and woodworking too much lately to have the time to follow the group.
Consider this a drive-by. I have a new box book coming out with Taunton
in the spring called Basic Box Making and I hope you will watch for it
and enjoy it. I also have a new blog to promote hands-on educaton. It
is based on my experience teaching woodworking Pre-k through 12. If you
are interested in that sort of thing, please visit:

http://wisdomofhand.blogspot.com

Doug Stowe, director, Wisdom of the Hands at Clear Spring School
Contributing Editor: Woodwork, A Magazine for All Woodworkers
Fine furniture from American Hardwoods http://www.dougstowe.com

Welcome back. I hope the book sells well for you.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I used to be a regular on the rec. but have been teaching, writing
and woodworking too much lately to have the time to follow the group.
Consider this a drive-by. I have a new box book coming out with Taunton
in the spring called Basic Box Making and I hope you will watch for it
and enjoy it. I also have a new blog to promote hands-on educaton. It
is based on my experience teaching woodworking Pre-k through 12. If you
are interested in that sort of thing, please visit:

http://wisdomofhand.blogspot.com

Doug Stowe, director, Wisdom of the Hands at Clear Spring School
Contributing Editor: Woodwork, A Magazine for All Woodworkers
Fine furniture from American Hardwoods http://www.dougstowe.com

Nice to see you visit Doug.

RE teaching children. I had no luck finding any Sloyd books on woodworking
so I've been teaching my boys how to do things I'm doing myself. Recently I
had them resawing with a rip panel saw and then hand planning the board to
dimension. They did a good enough job that I'm using the boards in a project
for the drawer sides. Also had them scribe about 270 lf of sleepers for a
floor project and they've been helping me reside the house and paint. They
started helping me with the renovations two years ago at ages 6 and 8.
They're old-pros now at 8 and 10! After hanging out with Roy Underhill for a
few hours they have come to understand that you don't need power tools. I'll
be checking out your blog!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
Nice to see you visit Doug.

RE teaching children. I had no luck finding any Sloyd books on woodworking
so I've been teaching my boys how to do things I'm doing myself. Recently I
had them resawing with a rip panel saw and then hand planning the board to
dimension. They did a good enough job that I'm using the boards in a project
for the drawer sides. Also had them scribe about 270 lf of sleepers for a
floor project and they've been helping me reside the house and paint. They
started helping me with the renovations two years ago at ages 6 and 8.
They're old-pros now at 8 and 10! After hanging out with Roy Underhill for a
few hours they have come to understand that you don't need power tools. I'll
be checking out your blog!

John

John, you are doing the right thing with your boys. The important thing
about sloyd is the theory behind it...how the use of the hands
reinforces the development of intelligence (and so much more). The
sloyd books have become impossible to find. I'm still trying to get a
publisher interested, but haven't had luck as yet.

It is nice to see some old friends in the newsgroup.

very best wishes,

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

You may be familiar with these already but I'll mention them anyway--because
I'd like some Sloyd books ;- ) :

Dover Publications and 10 Speed Press have done a lot of reprints of old
books...

The Early American Industries Association used to run a book service which
they are currently liquidating. They had reprints of a lot of old books,
catalogs, etc. and may be able to point to other publishers/printers above
and beyond Dover and 10 Speed. http://www.eaiainfo.org/

Graham Blackburn has Blackburn Books. http://www.blackburnbooks.com There is
an askBlackburn link on his web site and he can also be reached through

Toolbox Productions, Inc.
721 Broadway Suite 102
Kingston, NY 12401 USA

which is the outfit out of which he publishes Woodworking in Action DVDs.
I'm not sure if he does the actual production or not... there are some small
publisher/printers tucked away in the Catskills and he may be using one of
them for the printing.

Don't be a stranger, it's nice to see you back!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

The Early American Industries Association used to run a book service which
they are currently liquidating. They had reprints of a lot of old books,
catalogs, etc. and may be able to point to other publishers/printers above
and beyond Dover and 10 Speed. http://www.eaiainfo.org/

Graham Blackburn has Blackburn Books. http://www.blackburnbooks.com There is
an askBlackburn link on his web site and he can also be reached through

Toolbox Productions, Inc.
721 Broadway Suite 102
Kingston, NY 12401 USA

Thanks for the suggestions. I know Graham as he was the illustrator on
my table book and we taught the same week at Marc Adams School. I will
check with him. I've also been talking with Fox Chapel and Lee Valley,
but so far, nobody seems to see any money in it.

Don't be a stranger, it's nice to see you back!

John

John, we will never be stangers.

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the suggestions. I know Graham as he was the illustrator on
my table book and we taught the same week at Marc Adams School. I will
check with him. I've also been talking with Fox Chapel and Lee Valley,
but so far, nobody seems to see any money in it.

Doug,

I was doing some thinking earlier tonight. This while on a training walk
taken in preparation for a mountain hike this coming weekend with my oldest
son. My thoughts ran along the lines that if we could get the Gutenberg
Project to take these books on we'd be OK in respect to not loosing the
principles of Sloyd. I didn't find anything interesting doing a cursory
search of Gutenberg.org. However, when I pulled up Google Books
http://books.google.com/ I was delighted to find that there are PDFs of
Sloyd books! Two I found right off we

The Sloyd System of Woodworking by B.B.Hoffman.

Knife Work in the School-Room by George Baldwin Kilbon

It is hard to imagine that second one being published today!

I plan on doing a more thorough search of these sites but not tonight. I
REALLY have to get to bed!

John

P.S. If you talk to Graham tell him that I'd still like him to drive down Rt
28 from Woodstock to Kingston and present his DVD book at my woodworking
group's meeting. Northeastern Woodworkers Association has nearly 1,000
members with about 170 in the Mid-Hudson valley. We could set him up at our
annual show in Saratoga Springs too. I kind of lost contact with his partner
in the DVDs, Jeremy, after they canceled on us last spring due to a
scheduling conflict...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi John, I haven't been on the group for a few days, so I'm glad I
checked in. There's no chance of the sloyd information being lost.
there are too many of us with a growing interest. I posted to wikipedia
over the weekend. There was nothing on the subject of Sloyd, and it
felt kind of nice to actually know enough to write a first article
about something. the adress is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloyd

on another matter, I have been promoting a hands in education
resolution that has been endorsed by a number of woodworking clubs and
organizations like the Society of American Period Furniture Makers, and
the AAW. It reads:

We, members of the (place your organization name here), adopt hands-on
education in our nation's homes and schools as our organization's
public service mission and imperative. We regard the use of the hands
in education as being an essential requirement for engaging the
passions of our children and youth. We acknowledge the importance of
learning through use of the hands for bringing forth the inherent
wisdom of each individual. We challenge our nations schools and
communities to create and sustain programs of manual training and the
arts for children of all ages.

This might be an interesting thing for your club if you aren't already
one of those that have signed on.

I'm going to hold off on contacting Graham until I hear whether I have
a deal going with another publisher that is in the talking stage.

thanks,

Doug

John Grossbohlin wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi John, I haven't been on the group for a few days, so I'm glad I
checked in. There's no chance of the sloyd information being lost.
there are too many of us with a growing interest. I posted to wikipedia
over the weekend. There was nothing on the subject of Sloyd, and it
felt kind of nice to actually know enough to write a first article
about something. the adress is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloyd

Doug,

Nice summary...

My eldest son has done some knife work and earned his Boy Scout Tot'n Chip
at age 10. Now that I've got a copy of the knife work book it will be on his
reading list. My younger son is due for a knife this year at age 8. I was 8
when I got my first pocket knife and have a scar to prove it--violated the
rules and paid for it. ;~)

Scout's offers opportunities to develop new manual skills but even they are
more into simulation than actually doing things today. I was amused and
saddened at the time that to find out that Scouts were given their fire
safety cards without actually lighting a fire! They built log cabin, teepee
and other fire styles but didn't actually light any fires. I don't think you
really learn how to light a fire until you're out in the woods, everything
is damp including you, and you need a fire to cook your breakfast...

[...]

I'm part of the Northeastern Woodworkers Association. I serve as treasurer
for the Mid-Hudson Chapter as well as for the Kaatskill Woodturners
Association. We run some childrens programs at fairs, festivals, malls and
by invitation in school classrooms. Most of these programs engage the
children for an hour or less and are a one shot deal. There are a few
more-involved classes on things like pen turning. At our big show last March
my two boys assembled hundreds of wooden cars that were given to children
passing through the show. That got them on the front page of a newspaper as
the lead-in to an inside story on our club. I've discussed with my boys the
idea of having them do handcut dovetails at the show this coming year...
they've cut some already and I figure that with some more practice they'll
look like pros by the end of March. I told them I'd let them use my L-N
tools and I'd ask Tom L-N come over to see them work. Tom comes personally
each year to man his booth. They like the idea. ;~)

Are you reaching out formally to the organizations? Being part of the
Executive Committee I can certainly bring things to the group for
consideration.

I'm going to hold off on contacting Graham until I hear whether I have
a deal going with another publisher that is in the talking stage.

Good Luck with the publisher. Tell them there are customers waiting! ;~)

John