Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Dying Motor on Sears Table Saw?

I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Eliminate the source first?

Try something with more or less the same output on the socket,give it a
couple of days before assuming its the saw.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message news
Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Eliminate the source first?

Try something with more or less the same output on the socket,give it a
couple of days before assuming its the saw.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Well, I have many other things running off that outlet.
Occasionally, my 2 hp air compressor will trip it, but
nothing else.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Very likely the bearings are going and the motor is having to work harder
trying to get up to speed. They can be replaced. Also possible that he
bandsaw wheel bearings are causing the problem. Remove the blade and the
wheels should spin freely.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Swap the breaker out for a bigger one.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Dull or dirty blade?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Are you using an extension cord? If so, try a heavier one.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Well, I have many other things running off that outlet.
Occasionally, my 2 hp air compressor will trip it, but
nothing else.

If the compressor is tripping it too you might have a bad breaker. Do you
have another tool that can simulate the same load as the saw but stay just
within the breaker's limits? Breakers are much cheaper than motors.

OTOH, the motor in my old Craftsman started shooting craps at around 20
years. I had to replace the starting capacitor and internal switch and got
another 5-6 years before it died. It never threw breakers unless I just
bogged it down (easy with the 1hp motor).

Eliminate the breaker before you start looking for motors.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
JP JP is offline

Blow the saw dust out of the motor
I have to do this to mine once in a while & my saw is 45-50 yrs old
Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Eliminate the source first?

Try something with more or less the same output on the socket,give it a
couple of days before assuming its the saw.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Well, I have many other things running off that outlet.
Occasionally, my 2 hp air compressor will trip it, but
nothing else.

I would 1st try a new breaker, that is,
if the saw, once it does get going,
works ok. Or, flip flop the breaker
with another one of the same size
in the breaker box.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Mike:
Shhhhh. Just between you and me, the local protectors of the newsgroup
don't care for crossposters. Frankly I could care less, within bounds.

RonB

(I just noticed my outbound had two addresses)

"RonB" wrote in message

Well, I have many other things running off that outlet.
Occasionally, my 2 hp air compressor will trip it, but
nothing else.

If the compressor is tripping it too you might have a bad breaker. Do you
have another tool that can simulate the same load as the saw but stay just
within the breaker's limits? Breakers are much cheaper than motors.

OTOH, the motor in my old Craftsman started shooting craps at around 20
years. I had to replace the starting capacitor and internal switch and
got another 5-6 years before it died. It never threw breakers unless I
just bogged it down (easy with the 1hp motor).

Eliminate the breaker before you start looking for motors.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

So you do care.

"RonB" wrote in message

I could care less,

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

First of all, you need to eliminate the breaker as a source of your problem.
Breakers loose a little strength every time that they trip. Hence, over
time, they will trip at a much lower current level.

Testing the motor is not a simple matter. I suggest you take it to a motor
repair place where they have tools adequate for the testing.

Jim
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

I second this. My craftsman is 45 years old and occasionally starts
throwing the breaker. Cleaning out the motor and adding some oil
eliminates the problem for a year or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

breakers get weaker as they are tripped. it's possible the breaker is
weak, or that the saw motor has accumulated alot of dust/grime in the
housing that is causing lots of friction and drawing more power to
rotate.

check if the blade spins freely when not running to see if the motor is
clogged. if the blade can wobble or shift on the shat then the bearings
are shot.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
No No is offline

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

No one mentioned this, or asked these questions.

Is it a 15A or 20 A circuit? What does the amperage draw on the motor
label read? What else is on this circuit? Add it all up. It could be you
just have an overloaded circuit. Have you added something new recently?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Have you checked to be sure that the the motor
pulley turns free? How about the saw blade arbor?
Have you blown the motor clean with a compressor?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Eliminate the source first?

Try something with more or less the same output on the socket,give
it a couple of days before assuming its the saw.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Well, I have many other things running off that outlet.
Occasionally, my 2 hp air compressor will trip it, but
nothing else.

If it has been tripped a number of times, the breaker is likely weak and
needs to be replaced. I would suggest that you should consider a dedicated
circuit as it appears you are overloading that one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

efgh wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Swap the breaker out for a bigger one.

Please don't use that joke, there are far too many people who would not
notice the happy face.

Don't replace a breaker with a larger one unless you have verified that
the entire circuit will be able to handler the current and still meet code.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:53:13 GMT, "Michael" wrote:

I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Too little information to really diagnose positively, but electric
motors don't usually "wear out" slowly. When they fail, it's more in
the nature of sudden, catastrophic, and terminal.

The bearings might give out slowly, but normally you would have fairly
obvious symptoms which you have not reported, mainly noise or a rough
or gritty feel when turning the arbor by hand (unplugged! of course).

Given that the motor is likely no more than a 1½ HP (typical for a
home contractor type saw, even if it is a Sears and says more), and
even wired for 120V and even run on a 15A circuit, it isn't likely to
be tripping breakers with normal operation unless something else is
going on (like additional load on the circuit--dust collection--or
bogging down on cuts a lot, etc.). But again, not enough information.

My first suspicion would be dust, especially after 20 years of use.
I'd check the on/off switch, the centrifugal switch, even the
capacitor. Blow it out thoroughly with compressed air and see how it
does.

Although the breaker might be the problem, and it's worth replacing
for relatively few dollars, if you want to try it, they don't usually
lose their effectiveness with just a few dozen trips--hundreds, maybe.
What's your realistic trip count?

Here's a tip from troubleshooting 101: have you added anything to the
circuit that didn't used to be there, like a dust collector? It's easy
to forget conditions that have changed since the last known
trouble-free period. In any event, what else is on the circuit?

As easy as that motor is to dismount from the saw, try taking it to a
motor shop and get a diagnosis from them. Might cost you $30 or so,
but you'll have a far more definitive answer than you'll get here.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I have an old Craftsman table saw of about the same age (1968). Mine
started to give me trouble several years ago. I took it to a small motor
repair store. They cleaned the ancient sawdust from inside of the motor
and oiled it. It has worked fine ever since.

The reason I am posting is that on my motor there were no obvious places
to oil it. The unit can be oiled at both end of the shaft. There is a
small rubber plug that has to be removed. Added about 10 drops of oil
once per year and replace the plug.

Michael wrote:

I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

I second this. My craftsman is 45 years old and occasionally starts
throwing the breaker. Cleaning out the motor and adding some oil
eliminates the problem for a year or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Take the motor outdoors. Spray the berrings with trichlor, or some
other solvent. Brake cleaner is OK.

Let it dry a few minutes, oil the berrings with zoom spout turbine
oil. Two cycle mixing oil is OK if you can't find zoom spout. But the
little bottles make life a lot easier.

Let the flammable solvent dry out completely. reassemble, should work
better.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

turn off the suspicious breaker.
plug saw into a different working circuit.
does its breaker behave?
is cord or plug overheating in use?
is cord brittle or in need of replacement for any reason?
examine suspicious outlet.
are plug prongs loose or held firmly as new?
after replacing suspicious outlet receptacle,
plug a 1500 watt electric heater into the suspicious circuit and reset
it, and try the heater.
if circuit behaves, try saw.
if saw or heater trips only the suspicious breaker, replace breaker.

Michael wrote:
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Is the motor clean and oiled?

--
============================
Caveat to Yankee carpetbaggers:

If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept
them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we
wouldn't call 'em biscuits.
"Jim" wrote in message
. net...

"Michael" wrote in message
I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's
been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm
wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should
check something else.

Thanks,

First of all, you need to eliminate the breaker as a source of your

problem.
Breakers loose a little strength every time that they trip. Hence, over
time, they will trip at a much lower current level.

Testing the motor is not a simple matter. I suggest you take it to a

motor
repair place where they have tools adequate for the testing.

Jim
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

you could check actual current use with a clamp in ampmeter

harbor freight has them for under 20 bucks very useful around the home