DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Looking for a source of thin boards (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/174844-looking-source-thin-boards.html)

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net September 4th 06 06:29 PM

Looking for a source of thin boards

I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing
fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide.
Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0 spiral blade)
doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards .. particularly when you
when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.

Does anyone know where I can find a good source for thin boards of
various wood types ... with decent widths available?

Thanks!

Jack

[email protected] September 4th 06 06:41 PM

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing
fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide.
Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0 spiral blade)
doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards .. particularly when you
when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.

Does anyone know where I can find a good source for thin boards of
various wood types ... with decent widths available?

Can you get the effect you want with a door skin (1/8" plywood) or
by applying wide veneer to a 1/8" substrate like masonite?

This gentleman has a list of lumber links on his website:

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.co...nks-Lumber.htm

You might find something there.

Meanwhile, does anyone here know how the real tiny wood pieces
used for modeling are cut and dressed? I see basswood and balsa
and sometimes other woods in hobby stores that are 3/32" thick,
1/2" wide and a foot long. It seems like these would not be cut and
dressed with 'normal' saws, jointers and planers.

--

FF

John Flatley September 4th 06 09:41 PM

Looking for a source of thin boards

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at)
PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message
. ..
| I need to find a good source for thin boards (about
1/8") for doing
| fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but
not very wide.
| Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0
spiral blade)
| doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards ..
particularly when you
| when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.
|
| Does anyone know where I can find a good source for
thin boards of
| various wood types ... with decent widths available?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Jack

I've had great wood and service from Sloan's Woodshop
in Tennessee. Down to 1/8" on the various hardwoods
and down to 1/32" on plywood.

www.sloanswoodshop.com

others to try:

Ocooch Hardwoods in Wisconsin

(www.ocoochhards.com)

D&D Woodcrafts in Pennsylvania

(www.danddwoodcrafts.com)

If you're scrolling, take a look at Scroll Saw
Woodworking & Crafts magazine. (formerly Scroll Saw
Workshop) The articles and the ads are worth looking
at.

No financial interest, just a happy customer.

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

Stinky September 4th 06 09:57 PM

On 4 Sep 2006 10:41:11 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Probably using the items you mentioned plus a drum or wide belt
sander.

Jim September 4th 06 10:14 PM

"John Flatley" wrote in message

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at)
PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message
. ..
| I need to find a good source for thin boards (about
1/8") for doing
| fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but
not very wide.
| Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0
spiral blade)
| doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards ..
particularly when you
| when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.
|
| Does anyone know where I can find a good source for
thin boards of
| various wood types ... with decent widths available?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Jack

I've had great wood and service from Sloan's Woodshop
in Tennessee. Down to 1/8" on the various hardwoods
and down to 1/32" on plywood.

www.sloanswoodshop.com

others to try:

Ocooch Hardwoods in Wisconsin

(www.ocoochhards.com)

D&D Woodcrafts in Pennsylvania

(www.danddwoodcrafts.com)

If you're scrolling, take a look at Scroll Saw
Woodworking & Crafts magazine. (formerly Scroll Saw
Workshop) The articles and the ads are worth looking
at.

No financial interest, just a happy customer.

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

Both Rockler and Woodcraft list wood of various species in varying
thicknesses.

Just last night, David Marks made his own thin wood strips for a veneering
project. He used a band saw and a drum sander. You could substitute a
belt sander for the drum sander.

But, you will need a lot of wood before you would save money by making your
own.

Jim

Bob McConnell September 4th 06 10:40 PM

Looking for a source of thin boards

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:29:15 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing
fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide.
Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0 spiral blade)
doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards .. particularly when you
when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.

Does anyone know where I can find a good source for thin boards of
various wood types ... with decent widths available?

Thanks!

Jack

Have you tried baltic birch plywood? It is available in thicknesses
down to about 1/32" and can be stained or dyed very easily. You can
also stack and cut several pieces at once.

For scroll saw questions, check the forums at
http://www.saw-online.com/ or the mailing list at

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net September 5th 06 03:19 AM

Looking for a source of thin boards

Thanks! That's probably a good way to start without spending too much
money. I'll check the other links the other people listed for some
nicer woods.

1/8" is probably the thinnest I'd ever need, so maybe this is my best bet.

Jack

Buffalo September 17th 06 12:22 AM

Looking for a source of thin boards

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing
fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide.

Thought of using door skins.. Great for fret work..Use them here a lot..
Several nice wood grains there..

byefernow
wPm

Lee Michaels September 17th 06 01:48 AM

Looking for a source of thin boards

"Buffalo" wrote in message
. ..
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
I need to find a good source for thin boards (about 1/8") for doing
fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but not very wide.

Thought of using door skins.. Great for fret work..Use them here a lot..
Several nice wood grains there..

I use door skins for backs on book cases, etc.