DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Particle Board Painting (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/173960-particle-board-painting.html)

Tanus August 27th 06 10:29 PM

Particle Board Painting

We found a dollhouse that had been tossed out in the trash and decided
to fix it. Mostly it was gluing up bad joints and repairing some small
wood pieces that had broken off from abuse.

The floor is hardboard which is holding up pretty well, but the walls
are all 3/8" particle board. They had been covered with wallpaper, which
SWMBO wanted removed and the board cleaned for painting. I"ve done most
of that, but I have a concern about painting the boards. I have a
feeling that it'll suck up as much paint as we can throw at it and still
look pretty splotchy.

Has anyone ever successfully painted particle board? I was thinking of
adding some sizing to it to fill it up, and had considered using a
yellow glue/water mix. Does that make any sense? Or should I just slap
paint at it til it looks ok?

TIA

Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

leonard August 28th 06 03:14 AM

Particle Board Painting

Hi I would try a thin coat of drywall compound then paint.

len

sweetsawdust August 28th 06 04:47 AM

Particle Board Painting

Kilz You can get it at any local paint/hardware store etc in a
spray can. I understand it even comes in color now, although I still use
plain white. Spray or brush it on board and when dry Paint it as you
like. Only down side I have found is the paint will scratch under hard use.

the_tool_man August 28th 06 01:18 PM

Particle Board Painting

Hi Tanus:

Use a coat (maybe two) of BIN-123 or Kilz shallac-based primer. It
forms a nearly waterproof barrier and dries fast. Be sure you get the
shellac kind, not latex.

Regards,
John.

Tanus wrote:
[...]

August 28th 06 06:00 PM

Particle Board Painting

In article , Tanus wrote:
[...]

Use a first coat of Zinnser BIN primer or something simlar (pigmented
shellac)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Tanus August 29th 06 12:15 AM

Particle Board Painting

wrote:

Use a first coat of Zinnser BIN primer or something simlar (pigmented
shellac)

Thanks guys. I really liked the idea of drywall compound, but because
it's already built, it'll be a bearcat to get the mud into the corners
in such a small space. I'll try shellac since it seems to be the most
popular solution.

Really appreciate the responses.

Tanus