Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default GOTHIC CHESS SET

http://www.hirstarts.com/chess/chess.html

Figured it was time to post this again. Some of you guys seem to
have waaay too mch time for asking questions, so this should keep you
occupied for awhile.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
http://www.hirstarts.com/chess/chess.html

Figured it was time to post this again. Some of you guys seem to
have waaay too mch time for asking questions, so this should keep you
occupied for awhile.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Wow--that's quite a project . . . I'm impressed! I think I'll wait
until I retire to tackle it however. On an unrelated note: I really
like your little end message--it's pithy and thoughtful. but I don't
agree. I think justice and mercy are natural laws and not invented at
all. I think they are fundamental aspects of the universe and exist
independantly of our cognitive resources. Fairly Platonic I know, but
I have my reasons.
Thanks for the beautiful project, and by the way, your plans and
instructions are equal to the castle itself. Well done!
Bentley

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Aug 23, 2006, 9:47pm (EDT-3) (bentley) doth
sayeth:
snip I think justice and mercy are natural laws and not invented at
all. I think they are fundamental aspects of the universe and exist
independantly of our cognitive resources.snip

I disagre in the case of murder - no real opinion otherwise. If
there hadn't been some lawyer coming along pleading for "mercy",
whatshisname, who murdered seven nurses in Chicago some years back,
would have received justice - and been executed. Instead he got mercy,
and is alive in prison, living off of tax dollars. Any time in history,
before about the mid 1900s, he would have received justice. Which would
have been a mercy for the families of those he killed. ****es me off to
hear of people whining about a convicted killer "suffering" when he/she
get the needle. They conveniently forget what the victims went thru,
while they're agonizing over the poor killers "hurting" from a little
needle. Personally I think the legal system should take it under very
serious consideration to make the killers die in the same manner their
victims did - I know it'll never happen, but it would especially be
appropriate when the killer tortured his victim to death, to know they'd
have to go thru the same thing. I also think they should charge any
drug dealer, who sells drugs to someone who then dies from those drug,
with murder - and then make damn sure the death penelty is carried out.
One great thing about a legal executed, once it's over there's never any
worry about them getting out and doing it again. I don't doubt a lot of
executions would reduce murders a substantial amount too. Damn good
thing I'm a people person, otherwise I'd take a tough stand against
murderers. In my next life I think I want to be a police sniper.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Rob is offline

..
One great thing about a legal executed, once it's over there's never any
worry about them getting out and doing it again. I don't doubt a lot of
executions would reduce murders a substantial amount too. Damn good
thing I'm a people person, otherwise I'd take a tough stand against
murderers. In my next life I think I want to be a police sniper.

JOAT
Justice was invented by the innocent.
Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Time to chime in with my two farthings.

Having grown up reading the types of books and authors I did, (Robert
A. Heinlein, for one.) I have some fairly "right-wing", yet internally
conflicted opinions about justice.

Death sentence should be carried out by locking the convicted in a room
with the victim's family. I have a firm belief in Eye for an Eye.

Here's where the conflict comes into play:
Despite the best intentions of all those involved in our justice
system, it isn't perfect.

I once spent 2 days in a jail cell for something I didn't do. And the
burden of proof was placed on me, to prove my innocence. Hard to do
from jail... Luckily, I had family in the know.

Another example: Co-worker, arrested for a short list of crimes, sits
in jail for a week, wondering how the hell he got there. After the
police/powers-that-be got around to getting a victim in to visually
I.D. the man, it turned out that he was the victim of an early form of
Identity-theft. (Fly by Night Contractor used my friend's name, even
managed a drivers license somehow.)

Neither my co-worker, nor I got anything more than a boot in the
backside on our way out of custody. Not so much as a "Sorry for the
mix-up." My co-worker was lost his job over it. How is that fair?

Until we can execute the right person EVERY single time, I have to put
off supporting the death penalty.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Aug 24, 2006, 6:52am (EDT-3) (Rob) doth
proclaimeth:
. Time to chime in with my two farthings.

Of course.

Having grown up reading the types of
books and authors I did, (Robert
A. Heinlein, for one.) I have some fairly "right-wing", yet

internally conflicted
opinions about justice.
Death sentence should be carried out by locking the convicted in a

room with the victim's family. I have a firm belief in
Eye for an Eye.

An interesting thoughT. However, the mental anquish later, upon
those participating, I don't consider really worth it. Better the
guilty be legally executed by society. I know I could live with killing
someone in self-defense much better than killing somone in cold blood,
even tho they dieserved it. I say let it be done by the justice system
instead and let the world know that our society as a whole will not
accept a murder to live.

Here's where the conflict comes into
play: Despite the best intentions of all
those involved in our justice system, it
isn't perfect.

I never said it was/is. However, it can, and should, be improved.
And I do not believe all of those involved in our justice system "have"
the best intentions.

I once spent 2 days in a jail cell for
something I didn't do. And the burden of proof was placed on me, to

prove my
innocence. Hard to do from jail...
Luckily, I had family in the know.

You must be a suspicious character.

Another example: Co-worker, arrested
for a short list of crimes, sits in jail for a week, wondering how

the hell he got
there. After the police/powers-that-be
got around to getting a victim in to
visually I.D. the man, it turned out that
he was the victim of an early form of
Identity-theft. (Fly by Night Contractor
used my friend's name, even managed a drivers license somehow.)

But would the same happen today?

Neither my co-worker, nor I got anything more than a boot in the

backside on our way out of custody. Not so much as a "
Sorry for the mix-up." My co-worker was lost his job over it. How is

that fair?

A boot in the backside? Unlikely for an upstanding citizen. And,
if he was innocent, the guy should h ave been able to sue to get his job
back - unless he wanted to collect unemployment.

Until we can execute the right person
EVERY single time, I have to put off
supporting the death penalty.

Should be obvious to everyone, but isn't; no, we can't execute the
right person every single time. So what we could, and SHOULD, dto is
to speedily excecute those who absolutely ARE guilty; then sort thru the
others to find out which are guilty and which not. I don't want any
innocent person to be executed, but at the same time there's no reason
not to execute those people who ARE guilty. With a certain death
penalty, and knowing it will actually be carried out in a timely manner,
I betcha a load of murders would not be committed. A lot of people
would be willing to chance spending the rest of their life in prison,
but not against a certain execution. That's a much more moral solution
then letting a known killer out because of a legal technicality and/or a
slippery lawyer, often to kill again.

For what it's worth, apparently some scholar(s) found out that the
Biblical "thou should not suffer a witch to live" had been
mis-translated and actually should be, "thou should not suffer a murder
to live".