Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maximun safe RPM

I went to experiment with my Freud Rail and sile set are after chucking up
the raised panel bit I looked at it and wondered what the maximum safe RPM is
for that beast. At 3+ inches in diameter the velocity and centrifical forces
must be fairly significant at 22,000 RPM. Can one safely operate that big
bit at full tilt? Freud's catalog says nothing about maximum RPM. Does
anyone know what the maximum RPM is for the beast?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
. 1...
I went to experiment with my Freud Rail and sile set are after chucking up
the raised panel bit I looked at it and wondered what the maximum safe RPM
is
for that beast. At 3+ inches in diameter the velocity and centrifical
forces
must be fairly significant at 22,000 RPM. Can one safely operate that big
bit at full tilt? Freud's catalog says nothing about maximum RPM. Does
anyone know what the maximum RPM is for the beast?

A 3" raised panel bit should be run at about 12,000 RPM typically the
slowest speed on a variable speed router. Preferably an electronic variable
speed so that it maintains the same speed under a load.

For future reference as suggested by Jesada

Up to 1" diameter, 24,000 rpm
1.25 to 2", 18,000 rpm
2.25 to 2.5", 16,000 rpm
3" to 3.5", 12,000 rpm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
. 1...
I went to experiment with my Freud Rail and sile set are after chucking up
the raised panel bit I looked at it and wondered what the maximum safe RPM
is
for that beast. At 3+ inches in diameter the velocity and centrifical
forces
must be fairly significant at 22,000 RPM. Can one safely operate that big
bit at full tilt? Freud's catalog says nothing about maximum RPM. Does
anyone know what the maximum RPM is for the beast?

This is about right
http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
I went to experiment with my Freud Rail and sile set are after

chucking up
the raised panel bit I looked at it and wondered what the maximum

safe RPM is
for that beast. At 3+ inches in diameter the velocity and

centrifical forces
must be fairly significant at 22,000 RPM. Can one safely operate

that big
bit at full tilt? Freud's catalog says nothing about maximum RPM.

Does
anyone know what the maximum RPM is for the beast?

I have a Freud 1" rounding over bit which is 2-1/2" OD.

Info supplied with bit.

Max RPM Specs:

2-1/4" = 16,000
3-1/2" = 12,000

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Absolutely NOT safe to run 3+ inch diameter router bits at full speed.

Suggested maximum cutting speeds from one manufacturer:
to 1" - 24,000 RPM
to 2" - 18,000 RPM
to 2.5" - 16,000 RPM
to 3.5" - 12,000 RPM
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I went to experiment with my Freud Rail and sile set are after chucking up
the raised panel bit I looked at it and wondered what the maximum safe RPM is
for that beast. At 3+ inches in diameter the velocity and centrifical forces
must be fairly significant at 22,000 RPM. Can one safely operate that big
bit at full tilt? Freud's catalog says nothing about maximum RPM. Does
anyone know what the maximum RPM is for the beast?

Posted to rec.woodworking

JeffB wrote in news:9JbEg.333$S_5.245
@tornado.socal.rr.com:

Absolutely NOT safe to run 3+ inch diameter router bits at full speed.

Suggested maximum cutting speeds from one manufacturer:
to 1" - 24,000 RPM
to 2" - 18,000 RPM
to 2.5" - 16,000 RPM
to 3.5" - 12,000 RPM

I can tell already that my pc 2 hp router isn't going to make the grade for
that job. Got to get that 3.5 hp Milwaukee and see how that works.