DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fitting curved pieces (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/172015-fitting-curved-pieces.html)

Smaug Ichorfang August 10th 06 01:54 AM

Fitting curved pieces

I'm making the scales (sides) for a nice damascus-steel knife. The main
body of the scales are an orange-with-swirly-black burl (don't remember
name). The "guards" will be made from ebony. My problem is that the
scales and guard don't meet up along a straight line, rather a sweeping
curve. How does one cut the pieces so that they fir together *exactly*?
Because of the size/shape, I can't stack them and cut them simultaniously
on a bandsaw. It's a big pita to make a router jig just for this one small
project. Ideas?

no(SPAM)vasys August 10th 06 02:07 AM

Fitting curved pieces

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

I'm making the scales (sides) for a nice damascus-steel knife. The main
body of the scales are an orange-with-swirly-black burl (don't remember
name). The "guards" will be made from ebony. My problem is that the
scales and guard don't meet up along a straight line, rather a sweeping
curve. How does one cut the pieces so that they fir together *exactly*?
Because of the size/shape, I can't stack them and cut them simultaniously
on a bandsaw. It's a big pita to make a router jig just for this one small
project. Ideas?

Can you use a pattern?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Woodhead August 10th 06 02:08 AM

Fitting curved pieces

Maybe glue the imperfect fit pieces together, then saw through the glue
joint with a thin hand saw and reglue the joints. I think they might fit
nicely.

Jim

Lew Hodgett August 10th 06 02:20 AM

Fitting curved pieces

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

It's a big pita to make a router jig just for this one small
project.

Welcome to the world of PITA.

Can you make a pattern from 1/4" hardboard using a scroll saw?

Lew

Teamcasa August 10th 06 04:57 PM

Fitting curved pieces

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
I'm making the scales (sides) for a nice damascus-steel knife. The main
body of the scales are an orange-with-swirly-black burl (don't remember
name). The "guards" will be made from ebony. My problem is that the
scales and guard don't meet up along a straight line, rather a sweeping
curve. How does one cut the pieces so that they fir together *exactly*?
Because of the size/shape, I can't stack them and cut them simultaniously
on a bandsaw. It's a big pita to make a router jig just for this one
small
project. Ideas?

Cut close with a coping saw, hand fit with files, chisels or small carving
planes (luthier planes).
Woodworkers love a challenge!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Smaug Ichorfang August 10th 06 08:45 PM

Fitting curved pieces

Thanks for all the suggestions! I guess there's no easy way. I think I'll
cut the ebony guards to shape, scribe the scales, cut shy of the line, and
file/sand to fit, just like it's been done for centuries. If I were making
more than one, I definitly would mae a jig. I have a set of jigs for
making 1911 Colt auto pistol grips. Even a blind monkey could make a set
in under ten minutes.