Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bolt, 10-24

10-24 is a size smaller than 1/4 inch with 24 threads per inch. There are
sizes such as 8, 6, 4. To determine the actual bolt diameter you might
refer to a bolt size chart.

I just did a search on "Bolt Size Chart" and there are plenty that will
answer your question.

Don Dando

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Don Dando" wrote in message
news
10-24 is a size smaller than 1/4 inch with 24 threads per inch. There are
sizes such as 8, 6, 4. To determine the actual bolt diameter you might
refer to a bolt size chart.

Gee, here I thought that everybody knew that a 10-24 bolt has a 3/16 inch
shank with 24 threads per inch.
Jim
I just did a search on "Bolt Size Chart" and there are plenty that will
answer your question.

Don Dando

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:26:19 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:
Gee, here I thought that everybody knew that a 10-24 bolt has a 3/16 inch
shank with 24 threads per inch.

But not everybody lives in America and lives by their rules. g

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gee, here I thought that everybody knew that a 10-24 bolt has a 3/16 inch
shank with 24 threads per inch.

Well having grown up around BSW/BSW/UNC/UNF/BA *and* Metric I for one
knew the 24 was the tpi but I didn't have a clue and still don't as to
what the 10 means.

From what you say It's clearly not 10/64" or 10/32" or 10/16" 10/8" or
10/4"

10 gauge(swg) is about 3.2mm or just over 1/8" so its not that either
10 gauge (awg) is 0.1019" so its not that, nor is it 10 gauge
(shotgun) as that is 0.777 inches

And some say metric is complicated?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gee, here I thought that everybody knew that a 10-24 bolt has a 3/16 inch
shank with 24 threads per inch.

Well having grown up around BSW/BSW/UNC/UNF/BA *and* Metric I for one
knew the 24 was the tpi but I didn't have a clue and still don't as to
what the 10 means.

From what you say It's clearly not 10/64" or 10/32" or 10/16" 10/8" or
10/4"

10 gauge(swg) is about 3.2mm or just over 1/8" so its not that either
10 gauge (awg) is 0.1019" so its not that, nor is it 10 gauge
(shotgun) as that is 0.777 inches

And some say metric is complicated?

Americans experienced the same problems from lack of thread
standardization that Britain did. The challenge was taken up by William
Sellers, scion of an eminent family of American "mechanicians,"
whose grandfather had made the plates with which the Continental
Congress printed its currrency. In 1864, a committee of the Franklin
Institute recommended the adoption of Seller's system of screw
threads. The thread form became known as the "Franklin thread," or,
more commonly "Seller's thread," and later as the "United States
Standard Thread." It became the basis of the French standard thread,
and then of the Système International thread. In May 1924 it was
designated the "American Standard Thread." In 1907 the American
Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) defined two series that used
Seller's thread, numbering the sizes by gage numbers from 0 to 30. In
the series the major diameter started at 0.060 and increased by 0.013
inch with each size from 0 to 10, and by 0.026 inch between gages above
#10.
Shamelessly cribbed from www.sizes.com

So number 10 is 0.060" + 10 x 0.013" or 0.190", about 3/16" ie.
0.1875".

Interestingly enough, modern screw charts show #12 as 0.216 and #14 as
0.242 which means that at some point after 1907 the 0.026" increment
was dropped and 0.013" used above #10 too: #10--0.190, #11--0.203,
#12--0.216, #13--0.229, #14--0.242