Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Squeeking V-belt

Hello group,

I proudly set-up my recently acquired jointer (Kity 16", 5.5HP) in my
basement. To get it down the staircase, I had to take it to pieces. Also
the motor had to go out.
Everything is back to work now but:
When turning on the machine, for about a short second, a squeaking noise
is produced by the machine. Further investigation shows that the main
drive V-belt is skidding on the smaller pulley until the main shaft is
at full speed.
Most probably, I got some grease on the belt when putting together the
machine. Already cleaned it up with methylated spirit; €“little help.
Tension of the belt seems to be o.k.
Im afraid to wear the belt pretty soon. What should I do? Further clean
it, put some €śbelt spray€? on it (seen on the internet, no clue whats in
there)?

Any recommendations?

TIA Matthias
Posted to rec.woodworking

Use the "Power twist link belt". I have it on both my ts and jointer. Works
great, took away vibration, etc. Earlier post by Woodie gives this for
review:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/
Check out the thread, posted 7/28/2006

"Matthias Muehe" wrote in message
Hello group,

I proudly set-up my recently acquired jointer (Kity 16", 5.5HP) in my
basement. To get it down the staircase, I had to take it to pieces. Also
the motor had to go out.
Everything is back to work now but:
When turning on the machine, for about a short second, a squeaking noise
is produced by the machine. Further investigation shows that the main
drive V-belt is skidding on the smaller pulley until the main shaft is at
full speed.
Most probably, I got some grease on the belt when putting together the
machine. Already cleaned it up with methylated spirit; -little help.
Tension of the belt seems to be o.k.
I'm afraid to wear the belt pretty soon. What should I do? Further clean
it, put some "belt spray" on it (seen on the internet, no clue what's in
there)?

Any recommendations?

TIA Matthias