Old July 24th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable stair routing template

They haven't made these things for about 20 years. Probably because
they are cast iron and will last forever. I suspect that the other
reason is that most builders and carpenters rely on factory built
stairs for their projects. I won't give you my opinion on why that is
so....

Anyway, can anyone in this group give me a lead on finding one of these
bad boys?

Thanks,

Woodsy

Old July 25th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Woodsy wrote:
They haven't made these things for about 20 years. Probably because
they are cast iron and will last forever. I suspect that the other
reason is that most builders and carpenters rely on factory built
stairs for their projects. I won't give you my opinion on why that is
so....

Anyway, can anyone in this group give me a lead on finding one of these
bad boys?

Thanks,

Woodsy

OK...

I thought for sure one of the old timers might chime in with something.
Then again, the old timers know how to use the blasted thing, which
has a next best use as an achor, and aren't going to give theirs up.
They probably won't tell where they saw one hanging in some shop unused
either....

So my next tact is asking what material might be best suited for making
a stair template. I have seen aluminium templates, but the
manufacturer thought they were made of gold, not alum. Plexiglass
perhaps????

A little feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

Woodsy

Old July 25th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Templet takes a lot beating. Would create a master in 3/8" MDF and
test.
You like? Then copy it on Aluminum, acrylic or phenolic laminate.

htp://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

Old July 25th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

www.collinstool.com
www.stairtool.com

JP

Old July 25th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

JP,

Interesting gadgets, but what I'm looking for is a template guiding a
router to house out stringers. This allows the treads & the risers to
be wedged and glued into the stringers. It makes for a stronger
stairway and lessens the squeeks you would get from setting your treads
on a 2 X horse.

Woodsy

Old July 25th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Woodsy" wrote in message
Interesting gadgets, but what I'm looking for is a template guiding a
router to house out stringers. This allows the treads & the risers to
be wedged and glued into the stringers.

This what you're looking for?
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=459447

Old July 25th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

He's talking about something like http://www.stairtemplate.4t.com/. $875
does seem a bit much.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 25th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Woodsy" wrote in message
Interesting gadgets, but what I'm looking for is a template guiding a
router to house out stringers. This allows the treads & the risers to
be wedged and glued into the stringers.

This what you're looking for?
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=459447

That is the overpriced replacement for the template I'm searching for.
It looks slick, but at $875.00, it just seems a bit expensive. I would
be a happy camper to locate one of the original cast iron models.
There is probably one hanging in a barn waiting for me.

I hope.

Woodsy

Old July 25th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Woodsy" wrote in message
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=459447

That is the overpriced replacement for the template I'm searching for.
It looks slick, but at $875.00, it just seems a bit expensive. I would
be a happy camper to locate one of the original cast iron models.
There is probably one hanging in a barn waiting for me.

Maybe you can rent. (If you can find one that is). I'm wondering how
difficult it would be to figure your angles and then just cut a template out
of plywood? A router with a caller around the bit and you're all set. Double
the satisfaction for a completed job.