Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable stair routing template

They haven't made these things for about 20 years. Probably because
they are cast iron and will last forever. I suspect that the other
reason is that most builders and carpenters rely on factory built
stairs for their projects. I won't give you my opinion on why that is
so....

Anyway, can anyone in this group give me a lead on finding one of these
bad boys?

Thanks,

Woodsy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodsy wrote:
They haven't made these things for about 20 years. Probably because
they are cast iron and will last forever. I suspect that the other
reason is that most builders and carpenters rely on factory built
stairs for their projects. I won't give you my opinion on why that is
so....

Anyway, can anyone in this group give me a lead on finding one of these
bad boys?

Thanks,

Woodsy

OK...

I thought for sure one of the old timers might chime in with something.
Then again, the old timers know how to use the blasted thing, which
has a next best use as an achor, and aren't going to give theirs up.
They probably won't tell where they saw one hanging in some shop unused
either....

So my next tact is asking what material might be best suited for making
a stair template. I have seen aluminium templates, but the
manufacturer thought they were made of gold, not alum. Plexiglass
perhaps????

A little feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

Woodsy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Templet takes a lot beating. Would create a master in 3/8" MDF and
test.
You like? Then copy it on Aluminum, acrylic or phenolic laminate.

htp://www.patwarner.com (Routers)
Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

www.collinstool.com
www.stairtool.com

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

JP,

Interesting gadgets, but what I'm looking for is a template guiding a
router to house out stringers. This allows the treads & the risers to
be wedged and glued into the stringers. It makes for a stronger
stairway and lessens the squeeks you would get from setting your treads
on a 2 X horse.

Woodsy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Woodsy" wrote in message
Interesting gadgets, but what I'm looking for is a template guiding a
router to house out stringers. This allows the treads & the risers to
be wedged and glued into the stringers.

This what you're looking for?
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=459447

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

He's talking about something like http://www.stairtemplate.4t.com/. $875
does seem a bit much.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Woodsy" wrote in message
Interesting gadgets, but what I'm looking for is a template guiding a
router to house out stringers. This allows the treads & the risers to
be wedged and glued into the stringers.

This what you're looking for?
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=459447

That is the overpriced replacement for the template I'm searching for.
It looks slick, but at $875.00, it just seems a bit expensive. I would
be a happy camper to locate one of the original cast iron models.
There is probably one hanging in a barn waiting for me.

I hope.

Woodsy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Woodsy" wrote in message
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=459447

That is the overpriced replacement for the template I'm searching for.
It looks slick, but at $875.00, it just seems a bit expensive. I would
be a happy camper to locate one of the original cast iron models.
There is probably one hanging in a barn waiting for me.

Maybe you can rent. (If you can find one that is). I'm wondering how
difficult it would be to figure your angles and then just cut a template out
of plywood? A router with a caller around the bit and you're all set. Double
the satisfaction for a completed job.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

If he can lay out stairs, he could lay out the template. I agree Upscale, a
plywood template is the way I'd go. One of the repeat shows of the router
workshop that has been running lately on the Woodworking (
http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/ )channel is on this very subject.

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Woodsy" wrote in message
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=459447

Maybe you can rent. (If you can find one that is). I'm wondering how
difficult it would be to figure your angles and then just cut a template

out
of plywood? A router with a caller around the bit and you're all set.

Double
the satisfaction for a completed job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Woodsy" wrote in message
ups.com...

The problem with plywood jigs is durability. Yep, it's not a problem
to make one, but how many stringers, of varying rises and runs, could I
cut before I would have to make a new template. I have used the cast
iron models and they are at least 30 years old. The only parts that
wear out are the "pointer" and occasioanlly a foot gets lost. They're
like a Timex..."Takes a lickin'..."

True, but how valid is that thought? How long will it take to wear out that
plywood template? 10 years? Two years? How long does it take to knock one
out? Two hours? I believe the point of diminishing returns is just around
the corner.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

Woodsy wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

Well, it looks like I just might have to bite the bullet on the $875.00

Plywood or other "softer" materials just won't work out on the long
run. They , the templates, do take a bit of abuse and and wear will
show up in the cuts. You're running a 3 horse router through and
hardwood stringers make that thing just a bit. Especially oak, and
when you have to horse it, you stand a chance of ruining the edge of
the template. It is heavy work that demands durability in the tools
used.

Also, I have seldom made two sets of stairs that were exactly alike.
This has to be a template that is easy to change and adapt to those
changes.

Woodsy

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Woodsy, CushmanDoug wrote:
Woodsy, I have one listed on Craigslist for sale (Tampa, Florida), a Rockwell
cast iron #521 router template that weights about 40#. In perfect useable
condition, price is firm.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...te-111264-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rw Rw is offline

replying to Woodsy, Rw wrote:
I have the porter cable cast iron template. It is a beauty and very accurate .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...te-111264-.htm