DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Trick" Mallet Plan Query (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/170066-trick-mallet-plan-query.html)

John Moorhead July 23rd 06 07:04 AM

"Trick" Mallet Plan Query

Folks -

Hey, how're you all doing? I haven't posted in a while, been lurking for a
bit.... the flaming/spam got to be a bit off-putting... No offense to all
the "reg'lars"...

I've googled and checked all of the wood mag article indexes... and come up
with an empty net - I am hoping *someone* remembers this one...

There was a plan for a mallet that had an odd inverted dovetail method of
attaching the handle - that's the best way I can think of to describe it...
anyway, looking at the thing, it isn't immediately apparent just how it is
made - it doesn't look like the joint is possible. The trick is that the
handle is tapered and slides in and locks, if memory serves. There was a
plan for it somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

I am going to be teaching a short beginning WW class, and wanted to take a
look to see if this was a viable project. I've seen the other couple of
plans, the one in FWW, 146 and that would do, but now it's starting to BUG
me and hope one of y'all can help.

Any ideas?

John Moorhead

Ken July 23rd 06 09:23 AM

"Trick" Mallet Plan Query

It is called a Puzzle Mallet.
Google that and you will get what you are looking for.

Woodworker's Journal had an article and the plans for one
in "Workshop Projects - Winter 2006"
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/pl...ails/5/83/1894

Ken

y.net...

J T July 24th 06 04:46 PM

"Trick" Mallet Plan Query

Sun, Jul 23, 2006, 6:04am (EDT+4)
(John*Moorhead) doth queryeth:
snip There was a plan for a mallet that had an odd inverted dovetail
method of attaching the handle snip

I run across a lot of plans, so it seems vaguely familiar. But I
made one or two of that style mallet, and don't like 'em, so if I run
across plans for one I just move on. I muchly prefer turned mallets,
for making, and using.

Check your local library.

JOAT
Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Roy July 30th 06 02:46 AM

"Trick" Mallet Plan Query

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 04:23:46 -0400, "Ken" wrote:

It is called a Puzzle Mallet.
Google that and you will get what you are looking for.

Someone just put it up ab.e-books.technical a few minutes ago.