DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Snow Days", SoCal Style (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/170026-re-snow-days-socal-style.html)

Lew Hodgett July 22nd 06 08:46 PM

"Snow Days", SoCal Style

Like much of the rest of the country, SoCal is experiencing very hot
weather.

When I lived in the MidWest, we would get "Snow Days", almost every year.

A heavy snow fall or extremely cold weather would bring things to a
halt till the weather moderated.

As this is being typed, about 12:30PM local time, it is 89F with calm
winds at Long Beach airport, which is within 5 miles of the boat yard,
which is within sight of the ocean.

Guess this will be a "Snow day" SoCal style.

My wood working project will have to wait.

No way I can wax it in direct sun light.

(Obligatory wood working content)

BTW, as you move inland, add as much as 20F to that 89F number.

Lew

Mark & Juanita July 23rd 06 01:44 AM

"Snow Days", SoCal Style

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:46:35 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Like much of the rest of the country, SoCal is experiencing very hot
weather.

When I lived in the MidWest, we would get "Snow Days", almost every year.

A heavy snow fall or extremely cold weather would bring things to a
halt till the weather moderated.

As this is being typed, about 12:30PM local time, it is 89F with calm
winds at Long Beach airport, which is within 5 miles of the boat yard,
which is within sight of the ocean.

...'bout 105 here in Tucson right now. You suck.

Guess this will be a "Snow day" SoCal style.

My wood working project will have to wait.

No way I can wax it in direct sun light.

Oh, the horror!

(Obligatory wood working content)

BTW, as you move inland, add as much as 20F to that 89F number.

ayup.

Lew

Lew Hodgett July 23rd 06 06:24 AM

"Snow Days", SoCal Style- An update

I previously wrote:

As this is being typed, about 12:30PM local time, it is 89F with calm
winds at Long Beach airport, which is within 5 miles of the boat yard,
which is within sight of the ocean.

Well, it was quite a day.

Records temps all over SoCal.

Record electrical usage.

Made it to 97F at the old boat yard, which for all practical purposes,
is at the beach.

119F at Woodland Hills, an L/A suburb. it was an all time record.

First time I've used the pool in several years.

Trust me, it was a good place to be.

Wood working will have to wait.

One thing I can say, would rather have it hot than cold.

Still remember trying to get to work one morning when it was -19F.

Don't ever want to experience that again.

Lew

ray July 23rd 06 02:12 PM

"Snow Days", SoCal Style- An update

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 05:24:57 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

I previously wrote:

As this is being typed, about 12:30PM local time, it is 89F with calm
winds at Long Beach airport, which is within 5 miles of the boat yard,
which is within sight of the ocean.

Well, it was quite a day.

Records temps all over SoCal.

Record electrical usage.

Made it to 97F at the old boat yard, which for all practical purposes,
is at the beach.

119F at Woodland Hills, an L/A suburb. it was an all time record.

First time I've used the pool in several years.

Trust me, it was a good place to be.

Wood working will have to wait.

One thing I can say, would rather have it hot than cold.

Still remember trying to get to work one morning when it was -19F.

Don't ever want to experience that again.

Lew

In sunny Los Osos, CA it made it up to 72 yesterday.

George Max July 23rd 06 03:05 PM

wrote:

One thing I can say, would rather have it hot than cold.

Still remember trying to get to work one morning when it was -19F.

Don't ever want to experience that again.

Lew

What's wrong with -19F?

Pounds on Wood July 24th 06 10:50 PM

"Snow Days", SoCal Style- An update

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
I previously wrote:

Still remember trying to get to work one morning when it was -19F.

Don't ever want to experience that again.

Experience what? Going to work? Or the -19? :-)

--
********
Bill Pounds

Lew Hodgett July 25th 06 02:57 AM

Pounds on Wood wrote:

Experience what? Going to work? Or the -19? :-)

Both, that's why I'm self employed.

Lew

George Max July 25th 06 03:21 PM

"Snow Days", SoCal Style- An update

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:07:43 -0600, "Doug Brown"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

One thing I can say, would rather have it hot than cold.

Still remember trying to get to work one morning when it was -19F.

Don't ever want to experience that again.

Lew

What's wrong with -19F?

Exactly - thats short sleeve weather for February!

Some of those sunny days with that temp in January or February are
great for hooking up the trailer and going for sheet goods at the
local HD or real lumberyard depending on my need at that point. Last
winter it was haulin' the carpet refuse from my living room to the
dump.

Those are nice days. A hot chocolate, the woodshop, and later on a
few Wood Works and NYW videos. Does it get any better? I don't think
so!