DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need Wood Shed Door Latch Recomendation (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/169452-need-wood-shed-door-latch-recomendation.html)

[email protected] July 17th 06 05:30 PM

Need Wood Shed Door Latch Recomendation

I have two wooden sheds. The left doors (without handles) are kept
closed by a type of latch made from steel rod that is bent in the shape
of a P. These are moved into holes in the floor and the header to hold
the door closed.

On both sheds I've had problems with these. The flimsy springs that
are part of them come loose, and the P things come free. Does anyone
know of a better latching system made for these kind of doors that I
can look for? A link, a name, whatever I can use to help find what I
need would be great.

Thanks in advance.

[email protected] July 17th 06 08:17 PM

wrote:

On both sheds I've had problems with these. The flimsy springs that
are part of them come loose, and the P things come free. Does anyone
know of a better latching system made for these kind of doors that I
can look for? A link, a name, whatever I can use to help find what I
need would be great.

How about a barrel bolt? A search on acehardware.com will get
you there.

Jerry

Upscale July 17th 06 08:23 PM

wrote in message

On both sheds I've had problems with these. The flimsy springs that
are part of them come loose, and the P things come free. Does anyone
know of a better latching system made for these kind of doors that I
can look for? A link, a name, whatever I can use to help find what I
need would be great.

Lee Valley might have what you're looking for. They have quite a few types
in their hardware catalogue.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,49938,45339

willshak July 17th 06 08:36 PM

wrote:
I have two wooden sheds. The left doors (without handles) are kept
closed by a type of latch made from steel rod that is bent in the shape
of a P. These are moved into holes in the floor and the header to hold
the door closed.

On both sheds I've had problems with these. The flimsy springs that
are part of them come loose, and the P things come free. Does anyone
know of a better latching system made for these kind of doors that I
can look for? A link, a name, whatever I can use to help find what I
need would be great.

Thanks in advance.

This is really off topic here unless you are talking about a wood shop
shed :-)
Go over to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and see the pic addressed
to kemosabe.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

mac davis July 18th 06 03:43 PM

On 17 Jul 2006 09:30:39 -0700, wrote:

I have two wooden sheds. The left doors (without handles) are kept
closed by a type of latch made from steel rod that is bent in the shape
of a P. These are moved into holes in the floor and the header to hold
the door closed.

On both sheds I've had problems with these. The flimsy springs that
are part of them come loose, and the P things come free. Does anyone
know of a better latching system made for these kind of doors that I
can look for? A link, a name, whatever I can use to help find what I
need would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Is the priority security or just keeping the doors latched?

In a past life/marriage my shop was a 10 x 12' shed with "barn" doors... I just
put 1 of those screw in plastic covered bike hangers in each door and dropped a
2x4 across them when I closed up.. I guess you could lock them if the need is
there..

The picture that wilshak posted in ABPW is a fairly standard garage door latch
and should be easy to find..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis