DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing separate oven/cooktop questions (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/169242-removing-separate-oven-cooktop-questions.html)

[email protected] July 15th 06 02:00 PM

Removing separate oven/cooktop questions

I have a honey-do that involves removing an old gas oven from a wall
cabinet and a cooktop from a counter, and installing an integrated
range. The wall cabinet will be turned into a pantry, and the
countertops will be eventually replaced, so a gap in the countertop
isn't a major concern.

Can I just remove the oven? I'm guessing there's a ball valve on the
gas tap; just shut the valve, unscrew the (I'm assuming) corrugated
brass/bronze pipe and haul away. Right?

When removing the cooktop and making room, should I just cut the
cabinet at the appropriate width and cut a piece of plywood to fit on
the new end of the cabinet? Also, same gas line issues apply, right?

Anything else I should watch out for?

-Phil Crow

Tom H July 15th 06 03:21 PM

Removing separate oven/cooktop questions

If you plan on abandoning the gas line to the oven, don't count on the
shut-off valve alone.
Put a plug in the valve where you take out the line to the oven.
Better yet, remove the line and plug the tee where the line goes up to the
oven.
This is code in most jurisdictions.

ups.com...

[email protected] July 16th 06 01:52 PM

Tom H wrote:
If you plan on abandoning the gas line to the oven, don't count on the
shut-off valve alone.
Put a plug in the valve where you take out the line to the oven.
Better yet, remove the line and plug the tee where the line goes up to the
oven.
This is code in most jurisdictions.

Thanks, Tom. Didn't know that.
-Phil Crow

Mike O. July 17th 06 05:15 AM

On 15 Jul 2006 06:00:48 -0700, wrote:

When removing the cooktop and making room, should I just cut the
cabinet at the appropriate width and cut a piece of plywood to fit on
the new end of the cabinet?

That will work as you won't really see the new end.
The question is where will you have to cut the front and the top?
You may have to remove drawer fronts and doors and you may have to cut
through stiles and maybe rails. A standard range needs 30" and
commercial models may need more. If it's a manufactured cabinet, the
current cook top may be set in a 30" cabinet already. If so you may
be able to remove the cabinet and cut the top back. Your counter top
might also have a small strip against the wall (behind the cook top)
that you will probably want to remove also.

Mike O.

[email protected] July 18th 06 11:52 AM

Mike O. wrote:
On 15 Jul 2006 06:00:48 -0700, wrote:

When removing the cooktop and making room, should I just cut the
cabinet at the appropriate width and cut a piece of plywood to fit on
the new end of the cabinet?

That will work as you won't really see the new end.
The question is where will you have to cut the front and the top?
You may have to remove drawer fronts and doors and you may have to cut
through stiles and maybe rails. A standard range needs 30" and
commercial models may need more. If it's a manufactured cabinet, the
current cook top may be set in a 30" cabinet already. If so you may
be able to remove the cabinet and cut the top back. Your counter top
might also have a small strip against the wall (behind the cook top)
that you will probably want to remove also.

Mike O.

Thanks, Mike. It would appear that the current cabinet is a bit wider
than 30". I didn't measure, but it looks like 36". I may wind up
removing the entire 36" cabinet and building a filler. depending on the
size range she wants. These cabinets are ~25 years old, and well
constructed. I guess that was before the days of particle board and
melamine. *sigh*

Anyway, thanks again.

-Phil Crow

Mike O. July 19th 06 03:10 AM

On 18 Jul 2006 03:52:16 -0700, wrote:

Thanks, Mike. It would appear that the current cabinet is a bit wider
than 30". I didn't measure, but it looks like 36". I may wind up
removing the entire 36" cabinet and building a filler.

Or.....if you really want to get on your Wife's good side, buy her a
36" range. :-)

Mike O.