DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ipe + messmers deck (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/169019-ipe-messmers-deck.html)

[email protected] July 13th 06 01:01 AM

ipe + messmers deck

I built a ipe deck and rolled on messmers UV for hardwoods. It's about
2 weeks later now, and it LOOKS great, but it seems to scratch VERY
easily. If I drag a 5 lb deck chair across it, it appears to be
scraping the messmers finish off. Do I need to apply something else
over Messmers? Or does it take longer than a couple weeks to dry? Im
upset my brand new perfect deck is starting to look like crap, I have
to go do all this touchup work now.. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

Edwin Pawlowski July 13th 06 03:00 AM

ipe + messmers deck

wrote in message
oups.com...
I built a ipe deck and rolled on messmers UV for hardwoods. It's about
2 weeks later now, and it LOOKS great, but it seems to scratch VERY
easily. If I drag a 5 lb deck chair across it, it appears to be
scraping the messmers finish off. Do I need to apply something else
over Messmers? Or does it take longer than a couple weeks to dry? Im
upset my brand new perfect deck is starting to look like crap, I have
to go do all this touchup work now.. Any comments/suggestions?

I'm not familiar with Messmers, but have used other similar stains. It
soaks into the surface a bit to protect the wood from water and UV. It is
still possible to scratch through it dragging a chair. Maybe you need
better glides on the chairs too.

Leon July 13th 06 04:40 AM

ipe + messmers deck

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.com...

I'm not familiar with Messmers, but have used other similar stains. It
soaks into the surface a bit to protect the wood from water and UV. It is
still possible to scratch through it dragging a chair. Maybe you need
better glides on the chairs too.

There is a good chance the Ipe is harder than the finish that he applied.

leonard July 13th 06 05:39 AM

ipe + messmers deck

Ipe is a very oily wood that does not take finishes well.The wood is also
know as ironwood(very hard)and repels water very well.You may have just
scratched your finish.Just put some rubber feet on your chairs and hope for
the best until the finish wares out(the Ipe should last for the rest of your
lifetime depending on were you live)

[email protected] July 13th 06 07:19 PM

ipe + messmers deck

it stratches that easily ?