Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob McConachie

Default Help - Removing "musty" smell from dresser drawers

Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me when
I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental value,
I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

Sounds like mildew. Spray white vinager inside and around the
outside of the drawers. With the drawers out, spray vinager inside
the case. Leave it in the garage for a day. Not too heavy a spray.
Alternatively, wipe it down with a damp vinager sponge.

Lysol might also do the job and there has to be commercially available
mousemilk products at the hardware stores.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Rob McConachie wrote:
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

Rent an ozone generator.

Place piece in the garage next to generator, then tent the whole thing
with some plastic sheeting secured with some weights.

Couple of days should do it.

A couple of caveats.

Ozone attacks rubber and is hell on your breathing.

Plan accordingly.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

If you have no success getting the smell out, then you can try sealing
it in. I've has good results with a single coat of shellac. Be sure to
seal all unfinished surfaces of all drawers and the carcass.

Art

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
news:6_udnTxoD_2EKQDZnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me when
I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental value,
I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
news:6_udnTxoD_2EKQDZnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me
when I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental
value, I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out
of the dresser, I would appreciate it.

Well... when I was checking out original Shaker chests of drawers pretty
much every one of them smelled like moth balls... If you put moth balls in
the chest you could "sell" that as a historical feature. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Arvid

First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight
for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do
wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and
bleachd then when dry you can seal it all as others have suggested.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Arvid wrote:
First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight
for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do
wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and

I was going to say the same thing - if it's mildew/mold/some type of
fungus causing the musty smell, a bright, sunny, dry day is a great
treatment. I lived in the rain forest in Belize for a few months, and
in the constand humidity, everything that wasn't in constant use would
grow mold (clothing, luggage, pillows, etc). Best cure was to set
everything out in the sunlight for a day.
If it's not mold causing the mustiness, try aromatic cedar - drawer
liners? Maybe a thorough vaccuuming would help with built-up dust
also.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

Mist spraying hydrogen peroxide does seem to have some effect in
getting rid of musty odors in old cabinets.

Antique dealers routinely use newspaper. Crumpled up and stuffed
inside, for a few weeks, eliminates those old smells. Why newspaper
works, I have no idea, but apparently it does.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out

of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

Along with the other suggestions, and after you've aired the drawer out,
leave a brand new bar of your favorite soap in a sock in the drawer at all
times, or a sheet of fabric softener.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:52:32 -0400, "Rob McConachie"
wrote:

Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me when
I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental value,
I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Rob

Place the drawers outside in full sun for several hours. Avoid
putting the drawers on damp ground or grass as this may cause them to
warp or crack. If the drawers still stink, you can use a spit coat
of shellac on the inside.

Another idea is to put a bowl of vinegar inside each drawer for a day.
Be careful not to spill the vinegar.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jane & David

In article ,
"Arvid" wrote:

First thing i would do would be to put the drawers outside in the sunlight
for a day or two(finished side in the shade) Fresh air and sunlight will do
wonders to remove odors, If that don't work try a light wash with water and
bleachd then when dry you can seal it all as others have suggested.

The sun has worked for me too with musical instrument cases. I bought a
1920 saxophone in beautiful shape, but the smell of the case made my
eyes water. Most old cases smell but this one was really something
special (think ancient locker room mixed with a hint of outhouse).

I sprayed the hell out of it with Fabreez (?) and aired it in the sun.
This case took several days of spraying and sunning, after which the
locker room smell was gone but was replaced by the strong smell of the
Fabreez (which by this time was no longer a pleasant smell). It took a
week or so for the damn Fabreez smell to go away but the case has been
OK for years. It might have worked to just use the sun, but here in
western Oregon, we don't always know when we'll see the sun next.

PDX David
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rob McConachie wrote:
Greetings!

Recently, my parents gave my wife and I a dresser for our new baby.
However, when the drawers are opened, they smell musty and my wife is
reluctant to put baby clothes in it as it smells.

If it were not for the fact that my dad refinished this dresser for me when
I was a baby, I would get rid of it. But, because it has sentimental value,
I can not.

The dresser is hard rock maple with a (most likely) varnish finish on it.
The inside of the drawers are plain, unfinished wood of an unknown type.

So, if you have any *real* suggestions on how to get the musty smell out of
the dresser, I would appreciate it.

I suggest wiping the insides of the drawers down with household
ammonia,
and letting them dry outside in the sunlight. repeat a couple of times
if
necessary and wipe down the inside of the carcass too. Do not use
the 'sudsy' ammonia, as that has soap in it and it won't evaporate
cleanly.

The ammonia may discolor the wood slightly.

I'd avoid anything tht has its own fragrance added. You need something
that destroys odor instead of masking it.

--

FF

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Baron

[...]

Hello Rob,

Wipe down the inside of the entire piece, drawers and carcass, with a
mouthwash like Listerine. The thymol will kill any remaining mold, etc.
This is typically enough to remove the odor. If not, once dry, place it out
in the sun and fresh air for a day or two. It is very important that the
mouthwash be totally evaporated before placing it in the sun or warping /
cupping could occur. If there is still an odor after all this, seal the
inside of the entire piece with shellac. Sand the inside very lightly after
shellacking. This will prevent any roughness from the wood from catching
any clothes stored in the drawers.

Good Luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken G.

You will never get musty smell out compleatly . Airing it out or
coatings helps but after the furniture is put back in use the smell will
come back .