DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Newbie need help "raising pannel" on small false drawer front. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/166086-newbie-need-help-raising-pannel-small-false-drawer-front.html)

stryped June 18th 06 11:51 PM

Newbie need help "raising pannel" on small false drawer front.

x-no-archive-yes
I am almost done making a knife drawer with removable cutting board for
my mother. THis is my first woodworking project. The false drawer front
is small, maybe 2 1/2 inches wide by 12 inches long and is 1/2 inch
thick. My moms kitchen drawers have that ?raised pannel look. It shows
in my book how to tilt the blade to 15 degrees and raise the blade to a
certain height depending on the thickness of wood you are using but my
wood being only 1/2 inch thick, it is difficult for me to figure out.
Can anyone help me or would it look stupid to raise this small a piece
of wood?

Also, I have the stain my mom's cabinets are. However, her wood is
cherry and I used red oak. Will it look that much different? (It does
not matter, just curious).

Thanks again!

Perfection In Wood June 19th 06 11:13 AM

On 18 Jun 2006 15:51:17 -0700, "stryped" wrote:

x-no-archive-yes
I am almost done making a knife drawer with removable cutting board for
my mother. THis is my first woodworking project. The false drawer front
is small, maybe 2 1/2 inches wide by 12 inches long and is 1/2 inch
thick. My moms kitchen drawers have that ?raised pannel look. It shows
in my book how to tilt the blade to 15 degrees and raise the blade to a
certain height depending on the thickness of wood you are using but my
wood being only 1/2 inch thick, it is difficult for me to figure out.
Can anyone help me or would it look stupid to raise this small a piece
of wood?

Also, I have the stain my mom's cabinets are. However, her wood is
cherry and I used red oak. Will it look that much different? (It does
not matter, just curious).

Thanks again!

Sounds like you plan to use a table saw to make these panels and that
presents some problems in itself.
To cut a clean panel on a T/S you'll need a very sharp blade to start
- esp using oak.
Second, I don't think you can start with 1/2" stock. The lower end of
the panel (around the outside edge) should not be less than 3/8" IMO.
Start with 1" stock if possible.
Based on the size of your drawer front a rasied panel will have to be
very modest. Most raised panel cuts are at least an 1 1/4" in width.
based on your 2 1/2" size this would not leave any "rasied area".

Anyway, I would suggest you get away from the T/S due to the small
size of the panel and consider using a router. While I feel the use of
a router for large RP work is not good, a router can make some smaller
raised panels quite well.

I also believe the oak will "stand out" from the cherry no matter how
you finish it.