DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A woodwork newbie. What are the square pegs on woodworking tables for? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/165421-woodwork-newbie-what-square-pegs-woodworking-tables.html)

Owamanga June 12th 06 06:18 PM

A woodwork newbie. What are the square pegs on woodworking tables for?

I haven't made anything out of wood since I was at school, but am now
in the position to set up a small workshop in my garage and want to
make a few things for around the house (simple furniture). I'll be
posting a series of questions, separately so that people can respond
to whichever ones they have input on - or answer all of them, that'll
be cool too.

I picked up a couple of woodworking books, and one has plans for a
making your own bench/table that includes a series of square peg holes
along the front top surface of the table. What are these useful for?

I'm assuming clamping, but can't really see how that pans out.

Cheers.

Lee Michaels June 12th 06 06:49 PM

"Owamanga" wrote in message
I haven't made anything out of wood since I was at school, but am now
in the position to set up a small workshop in my garage and want to
make a few things for around the house (simple furniture). I'll be
posting a series of questions, separately so that people can respond
to whichever ones they have input on - or answer all of them, that'll
be cool too.

I picked up a couple of woodworking books, and one has plans for a
making your own bench/table that includes a series of square peg holes
along the front top surface of the table. What are these useful for?

I'm assuming clamping, but can't really see how that pans out.

Cheers.

Look at these for some ideas how these bench dogs, etc work. The square
ones are the traditional shape but the round ones are easier to put in and
have more variety of bench accessories to put in them.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...45&cat=1,41637

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...49&cat=1,41637

Upscale June 12th 06 06:49 PM

"Owamanga" wrote in message
I picked up a couple of woodworking books, and one has plans for a
making your own bench/table that includes a series of square peg holes
along the front top surface of the table. What are these useful for?

Do a search for 'bench dogs'.

Lee Michaels June 12th 06 06:51 PM

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Owamanga" wrote in message
I picked up a couple of woodworking books, and one has plans for a
making your own bench/table that includes a series of square peg holes
along the front top surface of the table. What are these useful for?

Do a search for 'bench dogs'.

Not to be confused with shop cats.

Gordon Airporte June 12th 06 07:48 PM

A woodwork newbie. What are the square pegs on woodworking tablesfor?

Holes along the front apron of a bench are for pegs to support the end
of large boards being held in the face vice. You want to support the end
on the opposite corner from the one being clamped.