Posted to rec.woodworking
Fenrir Enterprises

Default OT - Polymer roof coatings?

Sorry about the OT: I know there are probably other newsgroups that I
can post to but I'd prefer to get the advice from a group of people
I'm familiar with.

I live in South Florida and while our roof has survived pretty well
over the past three hurricanes, we're worried that it's not going to
last through a fourth.

We've seen this company at a hurricane fair in a local mall for two
years now, and keep considering using their product. It's a poylmer
clear coat for the roof that supposedly keeps it from deteriorating
and makes it less likely to blow off in a storm. I can't find any
information online other than lots and lots of ads for the stuff (it
looks like they registered dozens of names for the same site), and one
thread that doesn't make the company look good (they advertised on a
bulletin board that doesn't allow it and got banned). The comments
before the ad are also quite negative.

http://forum.doityourself.com/printthread.php?t=224912

The fact that there aren't many reviews online kind of make me wary of
using it. I keep thinking that the /idea/ sounds good, but ideas don't
always hold up in a real world situation.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I do a lot or roofing; I have done a lot of quality compliance
inspections for different companies. I am in S. Texas, which has the
same high UV days as well as high heat and humidity.

I am also familiar with a lot of different coatings and applications
that "extend" the life of the roof.

In a word, baloney. In two words, no way.

ANY clear coating of any kind that you expose to that kind of
punishment (18 hours of sun and heat a day) will fail. Polymers are
either resins or plastics, and they will sit on top of the roofing
material. You will never get the roofing material clean enough to
provide any kind of seal at the time of application. Even if it
appears to penetrate at some demo, it is probably just the carrier or
solvent going into the surface.

More bad news. All the roofing products we use around here (excluding
tile and metal) use petroleum products in their manufacture. They off
gas vapors for years, until they are dried out and crispy. So, you
will have petroleum vapors off gassing under your plastic finish.
Think of the coating as an instant green house.

And when it starts to fail, water will seep in under your poly film and
begin to mold and mildew. Then the finish will start to flake off.
Think of a varnish covered front door that hasn't had any finish
applied in many years.

But then, they may try to sell you a renewal material for future
application. That makes it even worse. All poly finishes are film
finishes and will not "renew".

You BEST bet is to have your roof installed correctly, and if you are
in doubt about them blowing off have the roofers put a couple of extra
nails per shingle, and make sure the nails are in the 1 /14" range when
the roof is installed. Sometimes a shot of mastic will help ridges and
hips in addition to the nailing required.

Robert

Roof coatings Big Al Home Repair 6 March 21st 06 06:08 PM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM