DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   One thing I can't do (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/164138-one-thing-i-cant-do.html)

[email protected] June 3rd 06 03:04 AM

One thing I can't do

when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

Tom Watson June 3rd 06 03:11 AM

One thing I can't do

On 2 Jun 2006 19:04:52 -0700, "
wrote:

when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

Buy your screen about six inches oversized in each dimension.

Set it in square and peg it on the left and the top.

Take a block of wood at least the length of the width of the frame and
wrap the extra length around it.

Pull that bad boy tight and pin it off.

There will be a little bunching in your screen.

Take your block of wood and wrap it around the extra for the east and
west. Move it up and down until the bunching is gone.

Pull her snug and pin her off.

Cut off the overage.

Y'all are home free.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Unquestionably Confused June 3rd 06 03:20 AM

One thing I can't do

wrote:
when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

Try this:

Let's assume the screened area is 60" high and, say, 30" wide, and the
frame is 2" wide (both rails and stiles).

Cut your screen material to a length of ~66" or maybe a bit more.

Fasten it securely at the bottom and at the top take another piece of
the framing material and rest it along the top of the frame at a slight
angle, maybe just place another scrap beneath this loose piece to create
that angle.

Using the surplus screen material you've got at the top, fold it over
and staple it like crazy to this loose piece which is butted against the
top of the frame at an angle.

Still with me? Great!

Now slowly press down on the loose piece and watch as it draws the
screening as tight as a drum head over the window frame. Fasten the
screen to the top of the window frame, tack your beading around the
screen edge. You'll probably be okay with the the tension across the
horizontal plane of the window screen but, if not, this trick will work
there too.

Sorry that I can't provide you with a diagram but that's not my strong
suit. Hopefully this is clear enough for you.

RicodJour June 3rd 06 04:16 AM

One thing I can't do

wrote:
when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

How are you attaching the screen? Are you using spline in a groove or
just stapling it?

tom June 3rd 06 05:57 AM

One thing I can't do

Heck, I have just the opposite trouble with the tensioning! Tom

wrote:
when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

June 3rd 06 07:59 AM

One thing I can't do

In article .com,
wrote:
when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

Something that helps me, is to cut the screen about 2 inches oversize
in both length and width, then center it over the opening so there is
a +/- inch or so extending past the spline channel. Then I use a bunch of
spring clamps all around the perimeter of the frame, and get the screen
fairly taut before installing the spline.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

no(SPAM)vasys June 3rd 06 01:52 PM

One thing I can't do

wrote:
when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

Lay the frame on a table/bench (I usually use my picnic table). Put a
block under the top and bottom of the frame an use a couple of "C"
clamps in the center of the frame to clamp the frame to the table/bench
cause the frame to slightly bow. Fasten the screen at the top and the
bottom of the frame. When the "C" clamps are removed the bow will
straighten out tensioning the screen.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Robert Allison June 3rd 06 02:02 PM

One thing I can't do

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:
wrote:

when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

Lay the frame on a table/bench (I usually use my picnic table). Put a
block under the top and bottom of the frame an use a couple of "C"
clamps in the center of the frame to clamp the frame to the table/bench
cause the frame to slightly bow. Fasten the screen at the top and the
bottom of the frame. When the "C" clamps are removed the bow will
straighten out tensioning the screen.

I second this method. It is simple and there is no need to
have to pull and fasten at the same time. It is by far the
easiest way to get a tight screen.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Unquestionably Confused June 4th 06 01:27 AM

One thing I can't do

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:
wrote:
when putting screen into a frame, is to get all the sags out. Has
anyone got any tips for this?

Lay the frame on a table/bench (I usually use my picnic table). Put a
block under the top and bottom of the frame an use a couple of "C"
clamps in the center of the frame to clamp the frame to the table/bench
cause the frame to slightly bow. Fasten the screen at the top and the
bottom of the frame. When the "C" clamps are removed the bow will
straighten out tensioning the screen.

Damn! Another good idea to file away. Thanks!