DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Refinishing roll part of roll top desk (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/163939-refinishing-roll-part-roll-top-desk.html)

[email protected] June 1st 06 03:28 AM

Refinishing roll part of roll top desk

Hi,

The roll part of a roll top desk consists of individual pieces of wood
glued to a cloth. (Yeah, you knew that, but I needed a segueway.

Do I want to remove the from the cloth before I refinish them or do it
in place?

Also, and I guess this is a much more general question, how do I scrape
something that's round? :)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

W. Wells June 1st 06 01:09 PM

Refinishing roll part of roll top desk

I have finished many roll top desk and I would replace the cloth if it is
worn. It is not hard to do and the cloth is usually the first thing to wear
out.( it is just canvas).I always used contact cement to attach the strips
back to the canvas. This way the wooden pieces are easy to refinish.
oups.com...

[email protected] June 1st 06 03:41 PM

Refinishing roll part of roll top desk

Hi,

Thanks. Where would I purchase the replacement canvas and what name
would it go by? Can you recommend a specific material?

Also, once removed, can the strips be dipped in the stripper rather
than have the stripper applied to them?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

W. Wells June 2nd 06 02:31 PM

Refinishing roll part of roll top desk

I can think of several places you can buy the canvas, cloth shops (most
likely, camping shops (tent material), anywhere they might sell standard
canvas cloth. Once you take the wood pieces off you can dip them or take the
finish off any way you want. Just make sure they are very clean so that when
you contact glue them back on that they will stick. I would finish the wood
pieces before you stick them back on the canvas. Make sure you dont put
finish on the underside that sticks to the canvas. That wood must be clean
and raw wood.