Posted to rec.woodworking
david

Default 12 volt wood saw ideas ?

Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Posted to rec.woodworking
sweetsawdust

How about using an inverter to change the voltage? you could run some of
you corded tools off of it and use it to recharge batteries for the battery
operated one. No jury rigging tool that way.
"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Posted to rec.woodworking
andypack

---------
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling (into
fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car battery
so any ideas/experience for
---------

Hi David,

Please, do yourself a favor, use a deep cycle battery to operate your saw,
NOT your car battery! You will kill your car battery in no time by
discharging it often by more than 20%. A car battery is designed for a
very large current supply for the short duration of an engine start, which
actually uses only 5% of the battery energy capacity in regular conditions.
The battery gets recharged back immediately when the engin is running. It
is not designed to be discharged!

A deep cycle battery has a different plate construction and is meant to
supply a smaller current and be discharged by 80% for 200 to 300 cycles.
By using a battery isolator, you could rechage (partly, maybe) the battery
while driving back home.

Car starting batteries have the bad habit of dying suddenly and leaving
you stranded in the wrong place. Please do some research on deep cycle
batteries and the best ways to prolong their life.

Good luck!

Andre

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

david wrote:
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

What about putting a gas motor on your bandsaw/tablesaw? I've seen it done.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Well, he plans to use the car battery for power right now. Where do you
think the energy to charge that comes from?

todd

Chris Friesen wrote:
david wrote:

Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

What about putting a gas motor on your bandsaw/tablesaw? I've seen it
done.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

I'm sure he can charge it more efficiently than by using a small
gasoline powered engine.

todd wrote:
Well, he plans to use the car battery for power right now. Where do you
think the energy to charge that comes from?

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

david wrote:
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

Fuel for what?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

I would not recommend trying to run a decent size saw or bandsaw on 12V.

Think of the large cables you will need. Consider a 1 HP motor. Small for
a table saw, not considered small for a bandsaw.

1 HP = 745 Watts (Volts x Amps). Accounting for motor efficiency, you could
be looking at needing to run cables which can take 70 Amps. If you
undersize the cables, you starve the motor and will cause something to fail
or burn.

I recommend you buy a small portable generator. I do not know about the UK,
but in the US there are many sizes and brands available. The less expensive
will not last as long and have more noise.

At least this way you can use whatever motor is on the saw/bandsaw and may
also use the generator for lighting.

If all you are doing is cutting up pallets, I would go for a bandsaw as
requiring less power for a given cut thickness, due to far fewer teeth
cutting compared to table saw.

I have a 1 1/2 HP table saw and it really slows down when cutting 8/4 maple.
I used to have a 3/4 HP bandsaw which was able to cut the maple without a
problem (assuming the blade was not dull). I now have a 2 HP bandsaw and as
expected it can cut 8/4 maple even better than the smaller unit.

Another consideration is the cost of blades. If you are cutting pallets,
you may miss a nail or staple. If a blade was to be ruined by accidentally
cutting metal, I think a bandsaw blade will be a cheaper replacement than a
decent table saw blade - at least it is for me.

My table saw blade cost me $90. My bandsaw blades cost me around $20.

Dave Paine.

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

"Tyke" wrote in :

*snip*

Another consideration is the cost of blades. If you are cutting
pallets, you may miss a nail or staple. If a blade was to be ruined
by accidentally cutting metal, I think a bandsaw blade will be a
cheaper replacement than a decent table saw blade - at least it is for
me.

My table saw blade cost me $90. My bandsaw blades cost me around $20.

Dave Paine.

Are there bandsaw blades that can handle both wood and metal? I know
bandsaws are used for both purposes, but are the blades/speed the same?

That's another thing to consider.

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Puckdropper" wrote in message

Are there bandsaw blades that can handle both wood and metal? I know
bandsaws are used for both purposes, but are the blades/speed the same?

That's another thing to consider.

Metal saws turn slower and use finer tooth blades. You can cut (slowly)
wood on a metal saw easier than cutting metal on a wood saw. There are a
couple of dual speeds but I don't know if they are acceptable for both.

Posted to rec.woodworking

david wrote:
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Add a deep discharge battery to your car or van and get a 1000W
inverter. Run your circular saw off that. My tuppence worth .....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"david" wrote in message
battery so any ideas/experience for

3) something i have not thought about

Generator. I doubt a 12V saw is going to give the power and endurance you
need.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

david wrote:
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Handsaw, crowbar and small sledge hammer? Or buy an 18v cordless
sawzall and a mess of batteries that you can recycle in the evenings.

I know that not an innovative solution, but the hand tools are not much
slower for demolition/recycling tasks. Good exercise too, and they fit
the whole "recycling" ethic well too boot.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 29 May 2006 07:44:39 -0700, "david" wrote:

Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Given that you have a large trailer, would you be better off picking up
the pallets,hauling them to a home shop where you can a) work inside, b)
have your tools set up to run off the power for which they were designed,
and c) have your tools set up to efficiently process said pallets? Might
actually be more efficient that way than hauling the tools to the sites.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Look in multiple batteries. Get the voltage up to 48v DC, (car batteries in
series-parallel) Several motors available that would do the job nicely.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

If you're going to get some enjoyment or satisfaction out of
doing the conversion/modifications, that's one thing.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with all the fuss. I'd just buy a
generator and use whatever 120/220 tools I had available and
still have the generator for other use too. But that's just me.

Don't delude yourself into green/energy-savings trap. If you
charge the batteries using gasoline in any form, you're better off
efficiency wise with the generator.

Art

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Regards
David

Posted to rec.woodworking
david

Wow, that's a lot of ideas/considerations to think about.

To input some more info as i did not at first see as important. I have
been using pallets and reclaimed timber for my business for 5 years and
of course use the scrap in the stove. But now the output is increasing
and always looking to earn a bit more i have a plan to remove unwanted
pallets, saw up on site or around the corner to save time and fuel,
then sell as fuel in bags. I use a 240 v jigsaw in the workshop
normally in the initial 'cutting up' of pallets for my furniture but
have no experience of 12v saws as in battery type but thought one could
wire one to the car battery, (i have a large one for the trailer winch
and a chunky cable to supply same). If anybody has done this and it
works i would find this favorite.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"david" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow, that's a lot of ideas/considerations to think about.

To input some more info as i did not at first see as important. I have
been using pallets and reclaimed timber for my business for 5 years and
of course use the scrap in the stove. But now the output is increasing
and always looking to earn a bit more i have a plan to remove unwanted
pallets, saw up on site or around the corner to save time and fuel,
then sell as fuel in bags. I use a 240 v jigsaw in the workshop
normally in the initial 'cutting up' of pallets for my furniture but
have no experience of 12v saws as in battery type but thought one could
wire one to the car battery, (i have a large one for the trailer winch
and a chunky cable to supply same). If anybody has done this and it
works i would find this favorite.

I used to have a 12 volt chainsaw for off road use. I had a marine, deep
discharge battery in back of the SUV which I kept charged up. The chainsaw
was used for cutting trees across the road and a little firewood for the
campfire.

One disadvantge of this set was that it required an absolutely huge cable.
DC needs this huge cable to move energy even a short distance. I liked it
because I did not have to mess with gasoline. But it was heavy with the
cable. And if you get very far from the vehicle, you are talking about a
lot of weight. And it is cumbersome to move those cables around. And the
cable takes up a lot of room in the vehicle as well.

I used to burn pallets for firewood. I just went to a small gas chainsaw. It
was a lot faster and lighter.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message

Don't delude yourself into green/energy-savings trap. If you
charge the batteries using gasoline in any form, you're better off
efficiency wise with the generator.

Ironically the Green energy hybrid automobiles with the huge battery arrays
that are suppose to pollute less really don't. They pollute worse in a
different way. Those toxic batteries have to be disposed of every 60-75
thousand miles and that is a nasty problem.
I am shocked that California allows these cars to be sold there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message

Don't delude yourself into green/energy-savings trap. If you
charge the batteries using gasoline in any form, you're better off
efficiency wise with the generator.

Ironically the Green energy hybrid automobiles with the huge battery

arrays
that are suppose to pollute less really don't. They pollute worse in a
different way. Those toxic batteries have to be disposed of every 60-75
thousand miles and that is a nasty problem.
I am shocked that California allows these cars to be sold there.

Common sense will never get in the way of a good Californian.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
If you're going to get some enjoyment or satisfaction out of
doing the conversion/modifications, that's one thing.

If it were me I wouldn't bother with all the fuss. I'd just buy a
generator and use whatever 120/220 tools I had available and
still have the generator for other use too. But that's just me.

Or get an after market alternator for your car that puts out 120 volts.
Actually automobile alternators produce A/C current and the internal
rectifier bridge converts the current to D/C. IIRC one of the Pontiac SUV's
has 120 outlets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

david wrote:
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt

Circular or sawzall? There are battery versions for both.

I'd like to find a 'plug' that I could wire myself to do exactly that.
Otherwise, I suppose could make one from wood. A twelve-volt
car battery is used to putting out more amps than a saw draws.

2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw

Would it not be difficult to use a bandsaw for cutting up pallets?

3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

I'm curious, why isn't an electric chainsaw an option? IMHO,
it is the ideal tool for hacking up pallets.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...

david wrote:
Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt

Circular or sawzall? There are battery versions for both.

I'd like to find a 'plug' that I could wire myself to do exactly that.
Otherwise, I suppose could make one from wood. A twelve-volt
car battery is used to putting out more amps than a saw draws.

True, however only for "very" short bursts at a time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

david wrote:

Looking to convert my large trailer into a mobile pallet recycling
(into fuel) operation for next autumn (GB). Want the saw to run off car
battery so any ideas/experience for

1) converting battery saw e.g. deWalt
2) putting a 12 volt motor onto bandsaw
3) something i have not thought about

Chainsaw is not an option

Why not just use a cordless saw? There are vehicle chargers available for
most systems.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate